Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Insurance?

iPhone Insurance?
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2007, 07:22 PM

Anyone have any info on whether ATT will be selling phone insurance for the iPhone? If not, are there other ways to insure such a device? Hate to tack it onto home owners insurance, as making claims on that can really hurt you in the long run. Safeware claims to offer smartphone insurance- might not be a bad way to go, as people seem to have had good experiences with them with laptops.

Anyone have any thoughts? $599 is a pricey meatball...

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Rumor
Jun 23, 2007, 07:26 PM

I wouldn't go with the insurance from the carrier. Check a real insurance company for a Personal Articles Policy. The rates are cheap, no deductible and all peril coverage.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 04:48 AM

ATT supposedly will not be selling insurance for the iPhone. I have a friend who talked to Safeware, and they will not insure it yet either.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 09:29 AM

I'll probably just add it to my renters insurance, like my laptop.

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2007, 09:32 AM

Moving to NYC this week - planning on getting renters insurance - does yours have a deductible for electronics? PM me with specifics pls

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 02:00 PM

in MOST cases, phones with operating systems cannot be added to policies. check with your insurer before you just assume that this can be done.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 26, 2007, 02:26 PM

The activation video showed that upon activation your one year limited warranty begins. I wonder what that includes.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stingrey View Post
in MOST cases, phones with operating systems cannot be added to policies. check with your insurer before you just assume that this can be done.
Don't all phones have operating systems?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2007, 06:35 PM

No. A Treo 700p for example runs a version of Palm's OS. A Sanyo Katana, as another example, does not have an operating system. The point is to check with your insurance provider because in many cases, the iPhone will NOT be covered under a Personal Articles or Valuable Personal Property policy. You probably want to be sure that you can cover it with your insurer before you get this if you are even thinking of insurance for this phone.

eraserhead187
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2007, 10:10 PM

You can get insurance for devices like this from third party insurers. One such company is called MobileProTech. I had a Cingular 8125, which Cingular would not insure (go figure). I was able to insure it with these guys. It is pretty pricey, so I would try to tack an iPhone onto your homeowner's or renters insurance if you have it. I don't have either of these, and I just got an iPhone this week, so I don't know what I'm going to do just yet. Does Apple offer any time of AppleCare plan for the iPhone?

amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 08:38 PM

i never get insurence for stuff but the iphone is a complex device maybe its a good idea.

neotheone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2008, 04:02 PM

Hey Folks,

Looks like there is a insurance company that is finally offering accident coverage specifically for the iphone. Even if you have already had it for a while. I got coverage for both my 4gb iphone and my 30 gb video ipod.

Check it out: iCover

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
Hey Folks,

Looks like there is a insurance company that is finally offering accident coverage specifically for the iphone. Even if you have already had it for a while. I got coverage for both my 4gb iphone and my 30 gb video ipod.

Ack!!! What an awful website. That's gonna scare away many potential customers.

goody1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2008, 06:17 PM

Ok the site doesn't look all that great, but they are not in business to build cool looking websites. As long as iCover can provide accident coverage my iPhone for $8.99 per month I'm happy. iCover is offering people what they want, iPhone insurance for a low cost.

Parky
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
The activation video showed that upon activation your one year limited warranty begins. I wonder what that includes.
Warranty is NOT Insurance.

Warranty only provides cover for manufacturing faults or faults that are the responcibility of the supplier. Warranty does not cover - Loss, Theft, Damage, etc.

Insurance covers Loss, Theft, Damage, etc.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Parky
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by amyjones09 View Post
i never get insurence for stuff but the iphone is a complex device maybe its a good idea.
Insurance has nothing to do with the complexity of the device!
Insurance provides cover against Loss, Theft, Damage, etc.

Warranty provides cover for the device being faulty, they are VERY different things.
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Parky
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 09:53 AM

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by neotheone View Post
Hey Folks,

Eh. They need some help with their grammar too.

Originally Posted by icover
iCover wants to assure...
The term should be "ensure". If you're going to try and be a professional website at least proofread. That being said, I've caught similar mistakes on my own site.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by techman76 View Post
I found a company that I just insured my 3G iPhone, my iPod touch and my wifes BlackBerry through. The service was absolutely top-notch!! www.nospam.net is the address. I heard it on the radio in Michigan and I emailed them at [email protected] and they answered me back in less then 8 minutes! 8 MINUTES! I have never seen anything like this site! Pass the word, someone really care and we know its not At&t or Apple. Get your stuff covered!!
Ok, one reply was enough.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Dec 30, 2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: removed spam links)
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 08:33 PM

And I don't think the forum private message was necessary either. Thanks.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
And I don't think the forum private message was necessary either. Thanks.
I agree, he seems to be spamming this thread and users who have been here.
When asked to not send SPAM to me, I got a personal insult in reply.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by techman76 View Post
I found a company that I just insured my 3G iPhone, my iPod touch and my wifes BlackBerry through. The service was absolutely top-notch!! www.nospam.net is the address. I heard it on the radio in Michigan and I emailed them at [email protected] and they answered me back in less then 8 minutes! 8 MINUTES! I have never seen anything like this site! Pass the word, someone really cares and we know its not At&t or Apple. Get your stuff covered!! Great people to work with and the website was the real deal!!
Ugh, quit spamming your site!
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Dec 30, 2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: removed spam links)
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ChadC
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2008, 01:13 AM

13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2009, 11:28 AM

I looked at iCover and there's a $100 deductable for the iPhone on top of a 2-yr service agreement you will have paid $220.00 to have a claim addressed. Not really a "catastrophic loss" policy IMO considering I paid $200 for the phone itself.

I guess I'm hoping I don't drop the thing into the toilet.
ebuddy

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 3, 2009, 01:37 PM

iCover looks shady to me. If it were economical to insure (not "ensure" or "assure", hehe!) an iPhone for $5/mo, ATT and Apple would do it. (Note that iCover doesn't insure against loss or theft, only accidental damage.)

For one thing, they're likely not an insurance company at all, given that they carefully avoid calling their service anything but a "warranty".

Second, look at this clause from the T&C:
5. FAILURE TO REPAIR REFUND. Not often but sometimes, iCover may not be able to repair your iProduct. For 1 year Warranty programs, we will refund you 75% of your full service Warranty premium, unless you have submitted a claim for repairs which were made in the previous 12 month period, in which case you will receive a refund equal to 50% of your service Warranty premium. For 2 year Warranty programs, we will refund you 50% of the premium which you paid in the prior 12 month period.
So... at their discretion, they can just say "nope, we won't cover this" and then give you $30 to walk away. No fixed iPhone, just $30. It seems to me waaaaay too easy for this loophole to be used for every claim. "Oh, water damage. Not economical to fix. Here's your $30, thanks and buh-bye!"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Second, look at this clause from the T&C:

So... at their discretion, they can just say "nope, we won't cover this" and then give you $30 to walk away. No fixed iPhone, just $30. It seems to me waaaaay too easy for this loophole to be used for every claim. "Oh, water damage. Not economical to fix. Here's your $30, thanks and buh-bye!"
Yeah, that's some bullshi!t.

You can't even call this insurance. It's more a "replacement lottery".

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 11:26 PM

Heh, "replacement lottery". Love it!

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2009, 03:17 AM

Usually extended warranties cost more than they are worth.

Except for a laptop I wouldn't do it.

For a phone?

When are you planning to lose your phone?

Or is it a habit that's hard to break?

Otherwise, a wireless phone has only a certain life span, and you're better off to put your insurance money towards the next and more modern generation.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 03:36 AM

Some people don't have good luck with cell phones, and they are expensive to replace.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jimd144
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Stingrey View Post
No. A Treo 700p for example runs a version of Palm's OS. A Sanyo Katana, as another example, does not have an operating system. The point is to check with your insurance provider because in many cases, the iPhone will NOT be covered under a Personal Articles or Valuable Personal Property policy. You probably want to be sure that you can cover it with your insurer before you get this if you are even thinking of insurance for this phone.
Funny. You say some phone do not have an operating system, such as Sprint which runs Palm O/S. Did you know that O/S means "operating system." ALL phones have an operating system. They may not all be smartphones, but they need software to run, and that is the O/S. Nokia runs Symbian.

Rumor
Jan 8, 2009, 05:25 PM

Through State Farm, I have my MBP ($2800), Macbook ($1100), iPhone ($600), and iPhone 3G ($600). No deductible, all peril coverage (theft, accidental damage, mysterious disappearance, etc).

Cost: $51 a year

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Through State Farm, I have my MBP ($2800), Macbook ($1100), iPhone ($600), and iPhone 3G ($600). No deductible, all peril coverage (theft, accidental damage, mysterious disappearance, etc).

Cost: $51 a year
Cool. What's the name of that insurance product ?

-t

Rumor
Jan 9, 2009, 02:09 AM

Personal Articles Policy or Personal Articles Floater. Each state varies slightly. Some it can be a stand alone policy (CA), others may require you have a fire policy as well.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Cool. What's the name of that insurance product ?

-t
Same here 2 iphones for $34.

Forum Links
Forum Rules