Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > mini-rant: the AC adapter

mini-rant: the AC adapter
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 02:30 AM

I've had my new Powerbook for about a month and a half now. It is my first laptop (my last computer was a G4 PowerMac), so I will admit that I'm probably just not used to some of the quirks. But I gotta say...Apple's AC adapter just stinks. The plug for the computer fits way to tightly into its port; I feel like I have to force it every time I plug it in. It's even harder to unplug, because there's nothing to really grab onto. It's just a smooth plastic cylinder. For a company that prides itself on slick design, the whole experience around the power adapter just feels like too much effort on my part for something that is one of the simplest aspects of the computer system. I had the same experience when I borrowed my friend's old Lombard a few years ago, so I don't think I have a defective adapter or anything. I've used friends' Windows-based laptops that had some sort of square plug for the power adapter, and those worked much, much better.

Rant over. Sorry. Am I just crazy?
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Aug 31, 2005 at 02:38 AM. )

TimothyJay
Aug 31, 2005, 02:46 AM

Wasn't there just a thread about ranting about the adapter?

I find the adapter great, except for the short length of the cord. But other than that, I like it.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2005, 02:57 AM

I think it's great too. I'm a big fan of the wings for sure, even though I know some people have problems with them coming off.

My powerbook's power adaptor is fine, but the plug on the inside of the computer isn't quite perfect, as it doesn't hold the plug quite right.

ImpulseResponse

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 03:37 AM

Would you rather have 4 feet of cord, followed by a huge brick followed by another 4 feet of now different cord? (add in a couple of rubber strap things dangling off it to try to contain the mess). This thing is waaay better than any PC laptop chargers, but I guess if that is all you have to complain about, I guess your doing pretty good.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by broxy5
Would you rather have 4 feet of cord, followed by a huge brick followed by another 4 feet of now different cord?
You mean like with the Apple-supplied extension cable?

Yes. Because with that long cord, the machine is actually grounded, and I don't get sparks every time I hook up an audio interface or a hard drive (due to 117V AC on the Powerbook's case).

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 06:20 AM

Thankfully I don't have the grounding problems but I do use the grounded plug anyway, just makes things easier for me..

Anyway, If you're really that ticked off, simply take a key or something and make the gap between the 'seam' on the outer ring bigger. That'll probably make it loose, though I have to admit I accidentally stepped on mine one day and that just happened lol.

Then again, mine was never too tight to begin with!

Certainly this has to be the most pointless rant I've seen in a while
Aloha

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Link

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by siflippant
+1.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyJay
Wasn't there just a thread about ranting about the adapter?

I find the adapter great, except for the short length of the cord. But other than that, I like it.
Yeah, that one got bumped up to the top just as I posted mine last night.

itguy05
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 09:25 AM

My gripe is with the color.....

The wife has a G3/800 iBook and the casing of the power cord plug is aluminum (or faux aluminum).

I bought the 15" PB and the casing of the plug is white? Doesn't match the rest of the computer.

Other than that, I love the Apple power supply. Use the 3 prong when you are home and detatch it and put on the plugs while on the road. Works GREAT!!

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 04:15 PM

I miss the silver wiring.
Aloha

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Link
Originally Posted by usna91
+1.
+2.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
+2.
Well, excuse me. It didn't seem out of step from some of the other pointless stuff that gets posted on the board. It is somewhat trivial, but that's probably what annoys me about it.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Well, excuse me. It didn't seem out of step from some of the other pointless stuff that gets posted on the board. It is somewhat trivial, but that's probably what annoys me about it.
sheesh, i'm sorry then. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, i guess that's why were all here.

i love the adaptor. it more than survived 2 years of daily trips to and from school and work. wings never broke. judging by the size/weigh ratio i'd say apple made it as small as humanly possible. i've never had a tight port issue. however i do recall my tibook adaptor having a silvery finish on the plug which was slick if i just put on some hand lotion or something; some gaffer tape could have fixed that.

i should have taken your mini-rant at face value. again, my apologies.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

templetalker
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 06:08 PM

Oh MY GOD! Like totally becky!

TimothyJay
Aug 31, 2005, 09:35 PM

Ok, for some reason I had no idea the actual plug on the brick comes off so that you can connect the extension cord to it until tonight

I mean, I know it looked like it could come off or something, but never did had the guts to pull it out til tonight. Wow, you learn something new every day... or in my case, months into having my PB.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2005, 10:36 PM

Oh, the removable plug is nice if you go aborad. Just buy Apple`s world travelers kit for your powerbook and you can plug it in all over the world. Very handy.

After looking at all my coworkers GIANT POWER SUPPLIES for their laptops, I love my power adaptor more and more each day.

DavisH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 03:12 PM

I have had every PC laptop there is, and I think Apples power brick is the best. Its one of the smallest I have every seen. It has the prongs that come out to wind up the cord. It splits in half, so I can make it longer or shorter. It has the light at the end, to tell me when my Power Book is charging or charged. Hours of design work went into that adaptor! Most importantly it protects your computer! Will on a trip to Belize, I plugged my PB into a doggy outlet; I inserted the plug into the wall and then took the other end, the one with the light on it, and plugged it into my computer. The light immediately went bright red, and smoke came from the brick. That adaptor saved my computer! My last Dell came with a standard black cord, it was twice the size as the Apple Power Adaptor and it had no cord management. I had to buy a Velcro tie! And it had an ugly Dell sticker explaining all about the voltage.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 2, 2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
It's even harder to unplug, because there's nothing to really grab onto. It's just a smooth plastic cylinder.
A friend of mine with very dry skin on his fingers had the same problem. He solved it by gluing some plastic rings onto the plug to provide grip.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules