Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transferring OS Copy to my new iBook

Transferring OS Copy to my new iBook
MaxwellsMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 11:40 PM

I recently had to part ways with my iMac G5 but have a new iBook 12" on the way so at least I will still have a mac. Before I sold the iMac I made a copy of the entire system to an external harddrive. What's the best way to transfer this to my new iBook? Would it be better to just transfer specific files (i.e. photos, mp3's, system settings) over or actually transfer the entire cloned OS? I would prefer to just transfer the whole thing so that everything is identical to how I had it set up and all applications are there as well. If I do this will I run into any hardware specific conflicts since it came from a G5 iMac and it's going to a G4 iBook? Thanks for any and all help...

Max

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2005, 08:04 AM

I don't think you should try copying over the cloned OS. It will be lacking files the iBook needs.

It's too bad you weren't able to keep the iMac until you got the iBook. You would have been able to clone your system settings over firewire using Apple's system transfer tools.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MaxwellsMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2005, 08:19 AM

So, there's no way of doing the same thing with the cloned os? I was hoping that it would recognize the external harddrive as another mac and I could use Apple's system transfer tools... Wishful thinking I guess...

MaxwellsMac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2005, 03:21 PM

In case anyone is curious... I hooked up my external harddrive to my new ibook via USB 2.0 and when I first booted the iBook I used the migration wizard to transfer all of my settings, files, application, etc... over. Worked flawlessly and my new iBook has everything I wanted.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2005, 11:04 PM

From my experience, clean OS X installations aren't hardware-specific. I actually keep a clean install of OS X Tiger on an external Firewire drive, and I've booted it with my iBook and PowerMac G5 no problem.

Now using a custom OS X installation with apps and settings and whatnot is a WholeNotherStoryâ„¢.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
From my experience, clean OS X installations aren't hardware-specific. I actually keep a clean install of OS X Tiger on an external Firewire drive, and I've booted it with my iBook and PowerMac G5 no problem.

Now using a custom OS X installation with apps and settings and whatnot is a WholeNotherStoryâ„¢.
As long as the OS was installed from a full retail copy, it might work. If it is from a "restore" CD or DVD, it might not.

Try it, what have you got to lose?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules