Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Never buy anything from Shoebuy.com

Never buy anything from Shoebuy.com
steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2010, 03:14 PM

They claim to have a money back guarantee but apparently don't honor it.
I ordered a pair of sneakers, wore them for ONE hour and returned them because they were uncomfortable and they refused a refund because they said they were worn and just shipped them back to me! I am not a hovercraft, obviously I have to walk on the floor with them. I complained about it and they still refused. Outrageous. Please order shoes from Zappos.com, they would never pull a stunt like this.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2010, 03:30 PM

Ok, I will make sure of this.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

hayesk
Sep 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

In their return policy "Products that you return or exchange must be unworn."

Wow. Imagine if a brick and mortar shoe store made you buy the shoes before you tried them on. I guess on the Internet, they can't tell if you tried them on barefoot, with athlete's foot, etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Ok, I will make sure of this.
I wasn't able to put my finger on it til just now, but some of bstone's posts lately have a wdlove sort of quality to them.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2010, 04:59 PM

You should buy one of those $300 Quadrocopters and use it to fly the shoes back to them... and then return that.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2010, 06:13 PM

Can you believe this company? I was actually shocked when i saw the email reply telling me they returned them to me. They didn't even have the decency to let me know before I had to contact them and ask why my card wasn't refunded yet.
The only way companies can't get away with this is if we all spread the word somehow. I am out $55 and I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2010, 06:37 PM

Send them back and dispute the charge with your credit card company.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2010, 07:08 PM

I already sent them back, they sent them right back to me!
]But you're right, I am going to dispute the charge

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2010, 10:18 PM

No, but I use 6pm.com all of the time. I bought new school shoes for my two teenage boys two weeks ago.
macforray

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM

I can't buy shoes without actually trying them on. My feets are too unique.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2010, 10:32 PM

Its impossible to know if a shoe fits right without trying it on. Even within the same brand there are differences.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post

Wow. Imagine if a brick and mortar shoe store made you buy the shoes before you tried them on. I guess on the Internet, they can't tell if you tried them on barefoot, with athlete's foot, etc.
Originally Posted by steve666 View Post
Can you believe this company? I was actually shocked when i saw the email reply telling me they returned them to me. They didn't even have the decency to let me know before I had to contact them and ask why my card wasn't refunded yet.
The only way companies can't get away with this is if we all spread the word somehow. I am out $55 and I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2010, 09:27 AM

I bought from them once, they had a hard to find pair of doc martens for my husband. I no problems, delivery was prompt, but they fit fine and we didn't have to deal with their return policy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I can't buy shoes without actually trying them on. My feets are too unique.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post

That, and:

He didnt "try them on". He wore them for an hour.

With most shoes I've owned, that puts enough creasing and wear on them to make them unsellable as "new", which is the point of that clause.

Obviously, you're going to try on mail-order clothing to see if it fits.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 10:50 AM

Then why have a return policy at all? With free return shipping boasted about no less. Are we supposed to sniff the shoes and if we don't like the way they smell we return them? Obviously we have to put them on our feet and walk in them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 11:22 AM

Did you not catch my rather clear-cut distinction between "trying them on" and "wearing them for an hour"?

They have a return policy so that you can order stuff blind and return it if it turns out the shoe doesn't fit you, or the colour doesn't correspond to what you were expecting, or the material isn't what you expected it to be from the pictures.

I suppose you order hiking boots and go ploughing through nearby mudbanks and mountains for an hour before complaining about not being able to return them, as well?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 12:04 PM

this is part of the reason it never made sense to me to buy clothes, shoes, etc. online. I like going into the store so I can actually see what Im getting, it avoids shipping charges too.

And I dont want to buy from a company that sells me someone else's returned shoes anyway; I have no idea what they might have done to them. Their dog could've peed in them for all I know.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Did you not catch my rather clear-cut distinction between "trying them on" and "wearing them for an hour"?

They have a return policy so that you can order stuff blind and return it if it turns out the shoe doesn't fit you, or the colour doesn't correspond to what you were expecting, or the material isn't what you expected it to be from the pictures.

I suppose you order hiking boots and go ploughing through nearby mudbanks and mountains for an hour before complaining about not being able to return them, as well?
I wore them inside. The second you step on the floor the soles will have some dust or something on them. When you try on shoes at a store and walk around the store in them are they now yours? Come on.

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
this is part of the reason it never made sense to me to buy clothes, shoes, etc. online. I like going into the store so I can actually see what Im getting, it avoids shipping charges too.

And I dont want to buy from a company that sells me someone else's returned shoes anyway; I have no idea what they might have done to them. Their dog could've peed in them for all I know.
If you buy shoes in a store chances are someone tried them on. If the shoes I returned were in bad shape than of course they shouldn't take them back. The pics they showed me of my shoes had some dust on the bottom. If I had used canned air before returning them they never would have shown anything.
Also, when people return shoes within the return period and they had obviously been worn the shoe manufacturer will take them back from the retailer within 30 days.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 12:32 PM

The pics they showed me of my shoes had some dust on the bottom. If I had used canned air before returning them they never would have shown anything.
Well, now you know.

Clean up shit before returning it.

Also, when people return shoes within the return period and they had obviously been worn the shoe manufacturer will take them back from the retailer within 30 days.
Which shoe manufacturer does this?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 17, 2010, 12:34 PM

If I had used canned air before returning them they never would have shown anything.
So you're mad at the company because you're lazy?

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2010, 01:36 PM

It's not like it's standard procedure.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 01:45 PM

What? To expect customers to remove traces of dog kennel from returned items, ensuring that they look BRAND SPANKING NEW when they're sent back?

Of course not!

Customers are entitled to having someone else clean up their crap for them! That's what they're paying for after all (at 20% under regular retail)!

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 01:50 PM

Well, now you know.

Clean up shit before returning it.

Which shoe manufacturer does this?
All of them. Otherwise retailers would never take shoes back. If you buy a pair at almost every retailer they have at least a 30 day return policy, even if they're worn. of course they can't be resold, they don't throw them away they return them to the manufacturer for credit.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
So you're mad at the company because you're lazy?
I didn't think to clean off a spec of dust, obviously I would have done it if I thought it would be an issue. Don't forget I had bought and returned sneakers at Zappos without ever having an issue. The company always cleans them off with whatever cleaner they have before reselling them even if I had done something.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 01:57 PM

What? To expect customers to remove traces of dog kennel from returned items, ensuring that they look BRAND SPANKING NEW when they're sent back?

Of course not!

Customers are entitled to having someone else clean up their crap for them! That's what they're paying for after all (at 20% under regular retail)!
Specs of dust. I wore them for so short a period of time INDOORS and they looked clean.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 01:57 PM

All of them. Otherwise retailers would never take shoes back. If you buy a pair at almost every retailer they have at least a 30 day return policy, even if they're worn. of course they can't be resold, they don't throw them away they return them to the manufacturer for credit.
Which manufacturer does this? What is your source for this information?

Name one manufacturer, please, and find this policy for me.

That's completely insane.

Edit: BTW, Zappos.com states regarding returns that "all we ask is that you send the items back to us in the original packaging, and make sure that the merchandise is in the same condition."
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Sep 17, 2010 at 02:04 PM. )

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 01:59 PM

Which manufacturer does this? What is your source for this information?

Name one manufacturer, please, and find this policy for me.

That's completely insane.
Reebok, Nike, etc. My friend worked at REI. They went back for credit. How do you think SFW, Sears, REI, etc can have that return policy if they didn't? They don't just throw them in the garbage.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 02:06 PM

I'll side with the OP.. I'm surprised they would offer a return policy at all for this kind of products, but their policy is inherently flawed.. you HAVE to wear your shoes in order to determine if they fit you. As long as they are not muddy and teared and appears new, you should be able to return them. otherwise it's a deceptive policy. It's like saying you can return your printer as long as you haven't printed with it.. How am I supposed to test the speed/quality if I don't use it a little bit? As for shoes, they cannot determine if he used them for 5 minutes or one hour, as he used them inside. The dust would be there whether he used them 5 min or an hour...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 02:07 PM

Reebok, Nike, etc. My friend worked at REI. They went back for credit. How do you think SFW, Sears, REI, etc can have that return policy if they didn't? They don't just throw them in the garbage.
I have no idea what SFW or REI are, nor how they or Sears handle returns.

I do know that every single online clothing and shoe store's return policy I've just scoured states clearly that items must be UNWORN, in original packaging, and basically new.

Any item deemed worn is not refunded and shipped back to the customer at his own expense.

Some sites even go so far as to point out that disputing the sale via CC company entails misrepresenting the facts and is legally fraud.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 02:09 PM

Huh. REI offers full exchange, even of worn apparel.

I'm impressed.

Seriously.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Sep 17, 2010 at 02:16 PM. )

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I'll side with the OP.. I'm surprised they would offer a return policy at all for this kind of products, but their policy is inherently flawed.. you HAVE to wear your shoes in order to determine if they fit you. As long as they are not muddy and teared and appears new, you should be able to return them. otherwise it's a deceptive policy. It's like saying you can return your printer as long as you haven't printed with it.. How am I supposed to test the speed/quality if I don't use it a little bit? As for shoes, they cannot determine if he used them for 5 minutes or one hour, as he used them inside. The dust would be there whether he used them 5 min or an hour...
Exactly. They tout the Free Return Shipping on their homepage, it's to ease the mind of consumers who are purchasing something they have to try on to know if it fits properly. So of course if they are sneakers you have to put them on and step on the ground. It's patently false advertising.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 02:28 PM

But, unfortunately, even if they are crooks who deceived you, I don't think you will succeed legally if you dispute the charge or bring them to court, as their policy was explained somewhere. I don't think your CC will side with you. Maybe you could try to talk to a manager to explain the ridiculous situation, and if that fails, try to scare them with a threat of a lawsuit...

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 03:08 PM

But, unfortunately, even if they are crooks who deceived you, I don't think you will succeed legally if you dispute the charge or bring them to court, as their policy was explained somewhere. I don't think your CC will side with you. Maybe you could try to talk to a manager to explain the ridiculous situation, and if that fails, try to scare them with a threat of a lawsuit...
I know, it will be tough. I already tried the customer service route and got nowhere. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney general (mainly for false advertising) and I just filed a complaint with the BBB.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 05:33 PM

I have no idea what SFW or REI are, nor how they or Sears handle returns.

I do know that every single online clothing and shoe store's return policy I've just scoured states clearly that items must be UNWORN, in original packaging, and basically new.

Any item deemed worn is not refunded and shipped back to the customer at his own expense.

Some sites even go so far as to point out that disputing the sale via CC company entails misrepresenting the facts and is legally fraud.
Then what exactly is the reason for a return policy on shoes?
It is in bold letters on the front page, they boast about free return shipping. The main reason to return them would be if they don't fit, correct? How do you tell without putting them on and stepping on the floor?
A reputable company would not do what they did to me.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2010, 05:44 PM

What kind of person buys shoes WITHOUT trying them on first? I could understand if you owned the same shoes and wanted another pair, but blindly ordering them online for whatever reason... Next time, spend a few extra bucks and go to the damn mall. You'll come away with shoes that you like and won't have to deal with shady return policies even though you wore them for an hour and were clearly in violation.

/common sense

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 05:46 PM

I'll say it a third time:

There is a difference between trying them on and wearing them for an hour.

There is also generally a requirement in ANY store, for ANY type of product, that returned goods must be returned "as new", as they cannot otherwise be re-sold. In places where this is not the case, a re-stocking fee is charged to pay for a clerk to give the products a once-over and a good cleaning, and possibly to cover the loss of being sold as "open-box".

What *exactly* was their complaint when you returned the shoes?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2010, 06:29 PM

That's exactly why the return policy is important, as nobody would buy shoes or clothes from an online store if it wasn't possible to return it if it doesn't fit or you don't like it.

And I don't think there's a way to know if the shoes have been worn for one hour or less.. what,s the threshold? 20 minutes? 5 minutes? It's not the same thing if he went outside in the mud with them, but one hour inside will do nothing to a shoe, so I think they're being dishonest because they know that everybody has to try them, then they're stuck with them because "they've been worn"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 06:33 PM

That's exactly why the return policy is important, as nobody would buy shoes or clothes from an online store if it wasn't possible to return it if it doesn't fit or you don't like it.

And I don't think there's a way to know if the shoes have been worn for one hour or less.. what,s the threshold? 20 minutes? 5 minutes?
The threshold, apparently, is "looks new", and that includes the packaging.

This seems completely reasonable to me.

It's up to the customer to do his best to stay above that threshold.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
What kind of person buys shoes WITHOUT trying them on first? I could understand if you owned the same shoes and wanted another pair, but blindly ordering them online for whatever reason... Next time, spend a few extra bucks and go to the damn mall. You'll come away with shoes that you like and won't have to deal with shady return policies even though you wore them for an hour and were clearly in violation.

/common sense
I order online because I have big feet and can never find what I want in the stores. I always prefer buying at a store. Plenty of people have trouble otherwise Zappos wouldn't be so huge (they were just bought by Amazon).

I'll say it a third time:

There is a difference between trying them on and wearing them for an hour.

There is also generally a requirement in ANY store, for ANY type of product, that returned goods must be returned "as new", as they cannot otherwise be re-sold. In places where this is not the case, a re-stocking fee is charged to pay for a clerk to give the products a once-over and a good cleaning, and possibly to cover the loss of being sold as "open-box".

What *exactly* was their complaint when you returned the shoes?
They said they were 'worn'. They showed me the pics they took of my shoes and there was just dust on them. No way they would ever be considered worn.I never stepped outside in them.

And I don't think there's a way to know if the shoes have been worn for one hour or less.. what,s the threshold? 20 minutes? 5 minutes? It's not the same thing if he went outside in the mud with them, but one hour inside will do nothing to a shoe, so I think they're being dishonest because they know that everybody has to try them, then they're stuck with them because "they've been worn"
Exactly.

The threshold, apparently, is "looks new", and that includes the packaging.

This seems completely reasonable to me.

It's up to the customer to do his best to stay above that threshold.
I received them on 8/25, tried them on and walked indoors for 1 hour, took them off, put them in the original box, packaged it and sent them back on 8/27.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:30 PM

Huh. REI offers full exchange, even of worn apparel.

I'm impressed.

Seriously.
Same does Land's End (which belongs to Sears).

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:33 PM

Most credit cards offer return protection. Check with them.

It's the main reason why I love Amex. They give you 90 days for full refund.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:34 PM

Who foots the bill?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:36 PM

Who foots the bill?
Amex, or more precisely, the merchants through the transaction fee.

The card is use is the free Cash Blue. It's an awesome card.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 07:43 PM

And of course, you, through the interest paid on the credit, right?

So the merchant can bill Amex for restocking/refurbishing/loss incurred through selling used items?

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Most credit cards offer return protection. Check with them.

It's the main reason why I love Amex. They give you 90 days for full refund.

-t
I don't think my card does, but they have a dispute center and they told me to send them a letter describing everything. I'm going to send them a copy of the form I filled out to the BBB online.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2010, 08:20 PM

And of course, you, through the interest paid on the credit, right?
I don't pay interest, I pay my bills in full each month. I know, old fashioned.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Sep 18, 2010, 02:08 AM

That's hot. [/Paris Hilton]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2010, 02:26 AM

I don't think my card does, but they have a dispute center and they told me to send them a letter describing everything. I'm going to send them a copy of the form I filled out to the BBB online.
“Dear BBB,
I tried on my shoes, and then tried sending them back for a refund because I didn’t like them; however they refused their full refund policy (which I didn’t read before buying the shoes; and which states "no returns/refunds on worn shoes”)

Please shut down this site due to them no honoring their return policy.

Thank you,
Dirty shoe guy”

Let us know how this turns out…. mmmmmmmmkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2010, 07:59 AM

We'd have to see the picture shoemall sent him to see how much "dust" there was and if they were really dirty.

Otherwise, of course you are expected to return the shoes in new condition, but using canned air is an unusual step.

steve666  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
“Dear BBB,
I tried on my shoes, and then tried sending them back for a refund because I didn’t like them; however they refused their full refund policy (which I didn’t read before buying the shoes; and which states "no returns/refunds on worn shoes”)

Please shut down this site due to them no honoring their return policy.

Thank you,
Dirty shoe guy”

Let us know how this turns out…. mmmmmmmmkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy
Obnoxious much?

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We'd have to see the picture shoemall sent him to see how much "dust" there was and if they were really dirty.

Otherwise, of course you are expected to return the shoes in new condition, but using canned air is an unusual step.
Trust me, the pics don't show wear. It's impossible for a sneaker's sole to show wear in that short a period of time indoors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules