Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Accessing Menu's via Keyboard

Accessing Menu's via Keyboard
djcoolbreeze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 04:40 AM

Hello,

I may be asking for a flame, but I'd like to be able to access all menu's and dialog buttons via the keyboard. Windows has ALT key combinations like ALT+F to access the file menu. Has anyone written a app that will allow this sort of functionality on a Mac (OSX or 9)?

In case you are wondering, I have an RSI and am trying avoid using pointing devices.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 6, 2001, 09:03 PM

this looks like a job for resedit.

make a copy of the application and open it up with resedit. look for and open the MENU resource. find each of the menu items you want to add command-key shortcuts for and individually select them. enter whatever you'd like the command-key to be in the little box, but make sure that the program doesn't already use that key (or remove that combination from the other menu item). save all your changes and enjoy.

-r.

[This message has been edited by rjenkinson (edited 05-06-2001).]

djcoolbreeze  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 11:49 PM

I am familar with the ResEdit approach to adding shortcut keys. I was hoping that there might be a piece of shareware out there that allowed access to the menus via the keyboard.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Blobby
May 7, 2001, 03:48 AM

How about OSA Menu and Akua Sweet's 'puppet menu' ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules