Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finder icons vanished, how get them back?

finder icons vanished, how get them back?
rt
Sep 14, 2002, 10:07 AM

Desktop icons have vanished. Toolbar icons and dock icons are ok. But the icons for folders, drives, apps, etc in the finder are gone.....all that's left is the text.

Anyone know how to get them back?

So far I have rebooted, zapped the PRAM, rebuilt the desktop, run DiskWarrior and Norton but nothing thus far has worked. This happened once before, when I was installing 10.2....but they finally showed up.

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2002, 10:45 AM

I have something similar happening on my machine but only with the Mail app, it's icon keeps vanishing, it's quite annoying.

JayJay1974
Sep 14, 2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by techweenie1:
I have something similar happening on my machine but only with the Mail app, it's icon keeps vanishing, it's quite annoying.
I had the same thing happen to me. All of my applications went to generic icons. I stuffed around for a while, trying resetting permissions, then I tried DesktopRebuilderX I think it's called. No change. Then I thought about creating a new user and log out and back in with the new user. All the icons were alright. I narrowed it down to my ~/preferences folder. I dug around with tinkertool "show hidden and system files" and found two copies of .DS_Store. Weird. Anyway I just moved my prefs window out, logged out and back in and everything was fine. I just copy the older prefs in as I need them. I hope this helps.
JJ

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by rt:
Desktop icons have vanished. Toolbar icons and dock icons are ok. But the icons for folders, drives, apps, etc in the finder are gone.....all that's left is the text.

Anyone know how to get them back?

So far I have rebooted, zapped the PRAM, rebuilt the desktop, run DiskWarrior and Norton but nothing thus far has worked. This happened once before, when I was installing 10.2....but they finally showed up.
This happened to me, I re-enabled the icons with Tinkertool v 2.3, I think this option is disabled in v 2.31.

(Added later when the brain started working) When in column view type Command-J and enable icons.
( Last edited by Eddies in the aether; Sep 14, 2002 at 10:27 PM. )

K++
Senior User
Sep 15, 2002, 12:54 AM

rm ~/Library/Preferences/LS*

Then login/logout that should fix it.

JayJay1974
Sep 16, 2002, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by K++:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/LS*

Then login/logout that should fix it.
That's basically what I did (that what DesktopRebuilderX does). I confirmed the 6 LS* files were deleted. Logged out and back in, no good. Restart, still no good. I'm fairly sure that it was the double .DS_Store that was the problem.

JJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules