Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac: OS X Booting Only?

New iMac: OS X Booting Only?
tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2003, 03:26 PM

I've yet to see mention whether or not the new iMacs are dual-boot, or are OS X only.

Any information?

cheers
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2003, 03:31 PM

Yes, nomore OS 9 boot.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Yes, nomore OS 9 boot.
I bet the low end iMac can still boot into OS 9 considering not much hardware wise really changed on it.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 07:32 PM

No hardware change at all.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
No hardware change at all.
Uh, AirPort Extreme Slot

Internal Bluetooth Slot

Upgraded SuperDrive (4x instead of 2x)

I call that a hardware change.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 11:10 PM

Not for the 15" model.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Not for the 15" model.
Right, I said this BEFORE...

Originally posted by NormPhillips:
I bet the low end iMac can still boot into OS 9 considering not much hardware wise really changed on it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 12:55 AM

If you read the tech specs on Apple's site, there is no mention of OS 9 in the section where it shows what software is included, except to say that the Classic environment is included. These will not boot into OS 9. Apple has already made that quite clear.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 01:38 AM

Right, I said this BEFORE...
Yah, put him in his place. How dare he contribute!
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2003, 08:12 AM

duh

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
If you read the tech specs on Apple's site, there is no mention of OS 9 in the section where it shows what software is included, except to say that the Classic environment is included. These will not boot into OS 9. Apple has already made that quite clear.
Yeah, Apple may have not included OS 9. (prehaps either to encourage further OS X migration and devlopment, or to save money, or both) Although, this does NOT mean necessarily that these iMacs can't boot into OS 9. As I said before, in the low iMac not much hardware has been changed.

webb3201
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 03:19 PM

But the change is a firmware change. Would they support more than one firmware version for the same product line? I would suspect that if you need OS9, you had better look for last months iMacs.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
But the change is a firmware change. Would they support more than one firmware version for the same product line? I would suspect that if you need OS9, you had better look for last months iMacs.
Apple is supporting multiple firmwares with the Power Macs and PowerBooks. (OS 9 version of Power Mac, 15" PowerBook)

macuzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 10:37 AM

I'll make this quick. You were told a couple months back that ALL new models(including speedbumps to those currently shipping)would boot into OS X ONLY. Is it really that difficult to understand? I know the people in graphics firms and marketing departments still need OS 9 for certain tasks. That's a valid argument. But, for the MASSES, OS 9 is no longer needed. I've got it installed on a separate partition. I haven't booted into 9 in almost a year. A YEAR! I like the direction Steve has the company headed in. I'd snatch one of these babies up in a sec. But, I'm in the market for a portable. So I guess I'l be snatching a Powerbook instead. I hope this doesn't come across with a condescending tone. </begin rant>I'm just sick of hearing and reading about whether or not a NEW machine will boot into 9.</end rant>

thanks for listening.

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by macuzer:
I'll make this quick. You were told a couple months back that ALL new models(including speedbumps to those currently shipping)would boot into OS X ONLY. Is it really that difficult to understand? I know the people in graphics firms and marketing departments still need OS 9 for certain tasks. That's a valid argument. But, for the MASSES, OS 9 is no longer needed. I've got it installed on a separate partition. I haven't booted into 9 in almost a year. A YEAR! I like the direction Steve has the company headed in. I'd snatch one of these babies up in a sec. But, I'm in the market for a portable. So I guess I'l be snatching a Powerbook instead. I hope this doesn't come across with a condescending tone. </begin rant>I'm just sick of hearing and reading about whether or not a NEW machine will boot into 9.</end rant>

thanks for listening.

1. Some major utilites, while they're coming out soon have still not come out. I.E. TechTool and DiskWarrior

2. I know of a graphic arts firm here in Chicago, along with schools, etc. teaching graphic arts that still use iMacs because they're less expensive. How are people supposed to use plugins? Etc. with this

Although, I still see your point with at least most people considering they don't use these pieces of software. My point is though there are more poeple than just plain ol' consumers buying the iMac. If someone is asking if it's OS 9 bootable, than that person him/herself probably has a concern over this issue and would like something that is OS 9 bootable for whatever reason.

macuzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 03:34 PM

1. Some major utilites, while they're coming out soon have still not come out. I.E. TechTool and DiskWarrior

2. I know of a graphic arts firm here in Chicago, along with schools, etc. teaching graphic arts that still use iMacs because they're less expensive. How are people supposed to use plugins? Etc. with this

Although, I still see your point with at least most people considering they don't use these pieces of software. My point is though there are more poeple than just plain ol' consumers buying the iMac. If someone is asking if it's OS 9 bootable, than that person him/herself probably has a concern over this issue and would like something that is OS 9 bootable for whatever reason.
Norm,
You rock dude! I agree about those utilities. Since using Jag though, I luckily haven't had a need to use any of them. The plugins issue deals more with the fact of are people willing to buy NEW plugins that MAY be available for X. I agree wholeheartedly with you on that topic. Some companies and schools don't have the funds to upgrade. They could still use them in classic though. But I just don't understand why people are asking about machines booting into 9 when they were told that they wouldn't. That's all I'm "preaching" about. BTW, I do love these fora. I've seen some of the best debating taking place within these four edges of my screen.

chrstopher
Feb 7, 2003, 03:28 PM

Err according to the MacNN front page they do indeed still boot OS9.. (17" and 15") Apple say so too

In 2002-09, Apple announced that starting in 2003-01 new Macintosh computers would only start up into Mac OS X, while retaining the ability to use most Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X's "Classic" environment.

The following is a list of Macintosh computer models released by Apple that only start up in Mac OS X.
PowerBook (12-inch)
PowerBook (17-inch)
Power Mac G4 (FW 800)

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
Well, this arguement I guess has ended.

JNG
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 10:48 PM

EDIT: Apple has announced the Spring 2003 iMacs do NOT boot OS9.
( Last edited by JNG; Feb 12, 2003 at 06:29 PM. )

Paso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 06:00 AM

the same knowledge base article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86209) now states:

"The following is a list of Macintosh computer models released by Apple that only start up in Mac OS X.
PowerBook (12-inch)
PowerBook (17-inch)
Power Mac G4 (FW 800)
iMac (Flat Panel)
serial number xx305xxxxxx or later
iMac (17-inch 1 GHz)"

NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 01:37 PM

Alright, I stand corrected.

MacMaui
Feb 14, 2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Paso:
the same knowledge base article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86209) now states:

"The following is a list of Macintosh computer models released by Apple that only start up in Mac OS X.
PowerBook (12-inch)
PowerBook (17-inch)
Power Mac G4 (FW 800)
iMac (Flat Panel)
serial number xx305xxxxxx or later
iMac (17-inch 1 GHz)"
What is the difference between being able to start up in OS 9 and being able to use OS 9 aps in OSX's "classic" environment? Does OSX's classic environment perform differently than OS 9?

For instance, some Mac games will work in both OS 9 and OSX, but are more stable in OS9. Does OSX's "classic environment" allow you to play those games in OS9?

--- Nevermind, I've since read that to use OSX's classic environment you must have an OS9 CD. Thus if you buy a new imac you can't use OS9 unless you owned it previously....
( Last edited by MacMaui; Feb 14, 2003 at 11:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules