Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacMall sucks

MacMall sucks
IGrokSpock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 04:01 PM

Well aint this a bitch?

Ok, so I knew iMacs would be updated soon, and yet I NEEDED the machine, so after Macworld passed withno announcement, I shurgged and bought one from MacMall.

Of course only a few weeks later, the new ones come out. Now do you think MacMall would :
a) give me a price rebate
b) offer to exchange my machine for a new one
c) credit me for merchandise

BUUUUUZZZZ! the correct answer is "none of the above". I was informed basically that there nothing they can do, which is bull- considering that any apple partner would have had to had their inventory orders in weeks before the announcement. They just didnt want to let me know about it. Or help me out.

Oh well, they could have been nice and thrown me a bone. but instead I get static. So for my next machine and every other purchase after that, they get to lose my business and watch me print a negative review of their customer policy.

So lets show our disdain! No one buy nuttin from MacMall. And if someone has a positive review of a manufacturer who helped out with this kind of thing, let us know so we can support them...

Thanks!
It tastes like burning!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 04:38 PM

I don't see any problem of it. Since you ordered the iMac in between Jan 7 to Feb 4, it is almost a month long. You can return the iMac with a restocking fee (I guess).

Lastly, I ordered from MacMall a couple of time and they are quite good.

I bet you paid 1,999 for the 17" iMac and now the top-of-the-line is just 1,799.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 05:17 PM

Did you buy it with a credit card? Some cards have price-protection guarantees, up to 30 days I think.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 05:24 PM

SOL Error.

If you are reading this message it means that you ignored every single rumor site on the internet and made your purchasing decisions without any backup at all.

In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

IGrokSpock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 05:46 PM

Obviously I knew the rumors, but I needed the machine! Couldnt wait for rumors, you know...

My complaint is the lack of customer support. As I said, these companies know what inventory they are getting� it isnt a suprise to them. Im sure you'll say "oh, dont they deserve to make a buck?" And Ill say "yes- but throw a man a bone!". I mean, is sending a guy a goodwill gift certificate so hard?

Staples.com messes up an order of mine around the same time. I cancelled it- they still sent me a gift certificate! That's customer service! You should create a business that is customer-centric, not cash-at-all-costs-centric. When people feel that a company respects them and their business, they are likely to return and to recommend the service to their friends! By being a slave to leftover inventory you only shoot yourself in the foot.

Ok, off the soapbox.
It tastes like burning!

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
Did you buy it with a credit card? Some cards have price-protection guarantees, up to 30 days I think.
Price protection from what? There's a new model with new features, right?

If MacMall is selling the exact same model at a lower price, and 30-days haven't passed then you might have a reason to bitch.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 08:39 PM

You are not a nice person.

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
SOL Error.

If you are reading this message it means that you ignored every single rumor site on the internet and made your purchasing decisions without any backup at all.

Rodster
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 09:48 PM

I understand your frustration, but I was in a similar situation back in late 2001. I paid $1500 for a Special Edition Snow iMac only for it to be replaced within a couple of months by the new Flat Panel iMac design.

I just chalked it up to bad timing not to the retailer where I bought it from.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 09:55 PM

My PowerBook G4 arrived the day of MacWord Expo, once they dropped the price on it by $200. I called MacZone, and they said no. So i said, oh well.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 10:01 PM

Price protection from what? There's a new model with new features, right?
I didn't mean compared to the new models, I meant compared to the reduced prices the resellers are offering on the previous ones. Same machine, now $200-$300 less.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 12:10 AM

Actually, the statement that any Apple partner would have their inventory orders in weeks before the announcement is a guess on your part, and it is an incorrect guess at that. Apple doesn't always tell even its biggest retailers what's coming down the pike ahead of time. Sometimes they find out the same day you and I do.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

JNG
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by IGrokSpock:
And if someone has a positive review of a manufacturer who helped out with this kind of thing, let us know so we can support them...

Thanks!
Well it's not exactly the same, but a few days after I bought a CD-RW eMac from PowerMax last August, Apple upgraded the baseline to Combo drive (and more RAM, I think?) for the same price. PowerMax called and gave me $100 back on it, which I appreciated (and combined with the credit they gave me on my iMac trade-in, there's fully half the cost of the machine-not to mention I got a free Epson Stylus Photo 820 printer).

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I didn't mean compared to the new models, I meant compared to the reduced prices the resellers are offering on the previous ones. Same machine, now $200-$300 less.
Okay, well then I'd say you have a very good chance of getting price protection from your credit card. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
You are not a nice person.
Sorry, but he happened to blow it big time.

*shrug* I had a friend of mine who bought a 10gb ipod (old version) right after the new ones came out.

I admit, I kinda feel bad, but what can I say? bad timing?

Usually people do pay attention to rumors when a computer hasn't been updated in 8 months.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

rytc
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

Usually people do pay attention to rumors when a computer hasn't been updated in 8 months.
People on these forums and other webby macusers might but the vast majority of users don't read any of the rumour sights. Its kinda lame that you have to base your upgrading plans on what some spotty kid is saying on some rumours site.....

denaps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by IGrokSpock:
Well aint this a bitch?

Ok, so I knew iMacs would be updated soon, and yet I NEEDED the machine, so after Macworld passed withno announcement, I shurgged and bought one from MacMall.

Of course only a few weeks later, the new ones come out. Now do you think MacMall would :
a) give me a price rebate
b) offer to exchange my machine for a new one
c) credit me for merchandise

BUUUUUZZZZ! the correct answer is "none of the above". I was informed basically that there nothing they can do, which is bull- considering that any apple partner would have had to had their inventory orders in weeks before the announcement. They just didnt want to let me know about it. Or help me out.

Oh well, they could have been nice and thrown me a bone. but instead I get static. So for my next machine and every other purchase after that, they get to lose my business and watch me print a negative review of their customer policy.

So lets show our disdain! No one buy nuttin from MacMall. And if someone has a positive review of a manufacturer who helped out with this kind of thing, let us know so we can support them...

Thanks!
What are you talking about? I work at a RETAILER and we do not get our stock in "weeks" before the announcement - that's a completely misinformed remark. In fact, we have a hard enough time being price protected ourselves for the FP 800's we had in stock. If MacMall isn't price protected and cannot be reimbursed by Apple, there's no way they are going to eat it for you just so you can have a new computer. You should have read the rumor sites.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 10:11 AM

Dude your on drugs! Cry me a river! Why should they eat the price of your computer. They had the same idea as you about new imacs coming out. It's not like they are in the know and just waiting to screw you. Do you really think they had stacks of new 1ghz imacs sitting in a ware house weeks before they where announced waiting to be shipped! Your crazy!

Where in the name of all that is good do you get the idea that a month or even a week later a company whould give you money back for an item you purchaced just because the price droped? If you buy gas at lunch for $1.60 then when you get off work it's $1.20 do you think they'll give you a .40 per gallon break... NO
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2003, 01:55 PM

I usually have more sympathy for people who get "burned" by price drops, because I can relate to the feeling...

But come on, an iMac? Unless someone was holding your head under water for the last month, you had to have known that an improvement to the line was VERY close.

I was waiting for MWSF to purchase our new iMac, as well as one for a good friend's family. After MW had come and gone, I still talked him into waiting it out, since I was certain it would be a matter of a couple weeks. I remember reading in many places that the release would coincide with iLife's release, or be very close to it. Needless to say, we're both pretty happy, and glad that we waited it out a few weeks. My 1GHz iMac will be here tomorrow.

Now, you said that you "needed" the computer, so I'm assuming it helped you complete a big project, or did something at work that made you some money... so the couple hundred dollars it dropped in value shouldn't bother you *too* much.

You bought it because you had to, but surely you knew an update was coming really soon... if I was in your situation, I'd be angry that my unfortunate circumstances led to my having to buy an iMac at such a poor time, but misdirecting that anger at MacMall is kind of silly, dude.

Your machine still rocks.

garetjax
Feb 13, 2003, 02:03 PM

Unless I absolutely positively had to have a computer STAT, I would never buy a Mac the week before MWSF. And if I needed a computer that badly that soon, $100-200 shouldn't be that big of a deal. Of course, that's just me.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 08:28 PM

what the hell does it matter?
you said you NEEDED the iMac
it works...
so i see nothing wrong.

Products get updated all the time...oh well
i've accepted the fac tthat the next update of the 12" PB will have a backlit keyboard...oh well for me

Forum Links
Forum Rules