Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New search tool for OS X

New search tool for OS X
JayJay1974
Jun 15, 2001, 04:12 AM

Hi,

I have developed a new and fast search tool for OS X - LOOK4, to replace Sherlock in searching for files/folders on your hard drives.
Just go to esd software and click on the link to download LOOK4.
LOOK4 will find any files or folders that match your search criteria. Read the ReadMe included in the download for more information.

Thanks.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: JayJay1974 ]

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 04:52 AM

MUST you use this forum to advertise your REALbasic program? The thing doesn't even WORK!
I abused my signature until she cried.

JayJay1974  (op)
Jun 15, 2001, 05:17 AM

Hi Scrod,

If you are having trouble with using this program, I would be happy to help you to work out what the problem is. Firstly, did you read the ReadMe? In it it states:
On first use, click on the "Update" button. This will update the LOOK4 database. The database does not dynamically update. If new files are added to the system, the update button will have to be pressed for them to show up in the database.
Depending on the number of files in your system, the database update may take a few minutes.
Enter the search criteria into the search field and press enter or return on the keyboard or click on the "Search" button. The search criteria is case sensitive and spaces must be preceded with a slash \ .
The resulting list lists any files and folders containing the search criteria.
Cutting and pasting is available from the resulting list to the search field, but all searches must be changed so that all spaces are preceded by a slash \ .
If the program is still not working for you or you get an error message, may I point you to another quote from the ReadMe concerning troubleshooting:
If LOOK4 fails to work for you, you may have to install the developer tools supplied by Apple with the boxed version of Mac OS X.
I would like to point out that the Developer tools are now available for download from apple.
If you have any more problems, please don't hesitate to contact me at the address on the esd software page.

Thanks

Scrod
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 05:57 AM

Please don't assume I'm an idiot. Do you think I would automatically presume that a program didn't work without first reading the instructions? There's really nothing to discuss. Your program doesn't work under any circumstance.
I abused my signature until she cried.

JayJay1974  (op)
Jun 15, 2001, 07:43 AM

Hi Scrod,

All I'm trying to do is make software for the users of Mac OS X. I appreciate that a problem has been found in the program and I'm trying to rectify it right now. As you have stated that you have read the ReadMe included, you would have noticed an e-mail address. This would have been the proper place to report the bug to me, not in a public forum such as this, but nonetheless, all I ask is that you be civilised about your posts about me or my software and that you pay me the same respect that I think you expect from me.
It was not my intention to "assume" you were an "idiot". I was merely enquiring as to if you had read the ReadMe. Even though you are a "veteran member" I would be wrong to assume to know your computer literacy. As you are probably aware, a great number of people do not read instructions. So please accept my apology if I offended you.
Secondly, I would like to thank you for pointing out the bug that had not shown up during testing. As I had been logged in as root the whole time during development and testing, the bug pertaining to permissions slipped through. In the mean time, there is a work around:
Open a terminal session and enter sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb then your password when prompted. This should update the database correctly. Information has been posted on the esd software page about this bug.
Again, sorry for offending you if I did and thanks for reporting the bug.

Thanks.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: JayJay1974 ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules