Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Australian Os X users

Australian Os X users
kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 05:50 AM

Hey all Just wandering if there were any aussies out there with the final release of os x??? if so leave ya email and your impressions of it =) id like to get a bit of a user group together =)
cheers!
Jono

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 06:02 AM

I'm an Aussie, but I won't be getting it until Saturday from my local Apple dealer in Glebe, Sydney.

Opening 10 am. No spectacular event planned, that is, midnight opening or anything silly like that (or even 9 am opening it seems!). They told me today they had the boxes.

Very interested to hear if Text-to-Speech "Bruce" sounds like Russell Crowe for the local edition. The Japanese get their fonts, so maybe we'll get our accent...

Cipher13
Mar 22, 2001, 06:14 AM

Aussie here...
I have 4K78, not the GM discs though... will be getting them soon enough.

Cipher13

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2001, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
Hey all Just wandering if there were any aussies out there with the final release of os x??? if so leave ya email and your impressions of it =) id like to get a bit of a user group together =)
cheers!
Jono
Yep I'm getting on at the local Buzzle at 10.00 on Saturday. The boxes are in Adelaide but apparently the courier has been told not to deliver them until Friday :-)

Given the luck the US have had with Staples I had a quick look at David Jones yesterday but of course they don't carry any MacOS.
Do you know if OfficeWorks carry MacOS?

Michael

Michael

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2001, 06:38 AM

I've got it pre-ordered from AppleStore Australia. I'm betting that Apple Oz is too stingy to deliver until next week.

Kelix, I sent an email to the email address you've got listed on your forum profile. I don't particularly want to post it publicly.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 06:46 AM

i was just wondering, how many of us aussies are there on MacNN??

so far it seems that we're all in different states!!

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:
Given the luck the US have had with Staples I had a quick look at David Jones yesterday but of course they don't carry any MacOS.
Do you know if OfficeWorks carry MacOS?
I shop at OfficeWorks but the closest they get to Mac stuff is having one of those eMachines blue iMac ripoffs a year or so ago. Oh, and they sell pen holders in the 5 "lifesaver" iMac colours, does that help?!

I don't think there will be many chances of an early sale around Australia as it's mainly specialized dealers that sell Mac stuff now - department stores such as Harvey Norman were cut out of the channel a while ago.

Maybe Optus dealers? They were selling iMacs for a while. If they have X, they are the sort of people clueless enough to sell it pre-release (can't get much more clueless than a mobile phone salesman

Anyway, I want to see it being sold on Saturday, just to see the sort of advice (if any) they are giving to customers.

I'm continually unimpressed with the whole Apple situation in Australia. IMHO, Apple doesn't SELL Macs in Australia, people BUY them, in spite of Apple Aust. and its dealers.

Jamie_H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 06:57 AM

I work for (actually my parents own) an Apple Reseller and we won't have any copies until monday. We buy through an Apple Distributor and they are not receiving any copies until tomorrow, Friday, so obviously no resellers will have it until tomorrow. They are definitely cutting it fine.

Also, noone will have their copies from the Apple Store until Monday, Tuesday for non-capital cities. (Me)

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 07:03 AM

Hey well im in Adelaide.. looks like 2 Adelaidians out there and the rest are from all different states .. Oh yea BTW wincent is from Adelaide as well...

If u have the final and you live in adelaide tell us
let get this user group goin

rytc
Senior User
Mar 22, 2001, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
I'm an Aussie, ......Very interested to hear if Text-to-Speech "Bruce" sounds like Russell Crowe for the local edition. The Japanese get their fonts, so maybe we'll get our accent...
WELL, I guess if you aussies like listening to a Kiwi accent ......cos he certainly isn't Australian......first the buzzy bee, then Edmund Hillary....the list goes on. sigh

worldy
Mar 22, 2001, 08:40 AM

Hey guys/gals,

John here from Homebush NSW.

I'm still running original PB, and have pre-ordered the release. I've had the word straight from Apple that it ain't arriving till Monday. I sent them an e-mail asking if I could pick it up from a local shop instead and they haven't got back to me yet.

Heres hoping. I even offered to go and pick it up (read: send courier) on Friday so I could have it for the weekend.

MMMMM

Looks great though! I read these forums all day every day of late.

Well good luck guys and have a great OSX weekend those of us that can!

Cheers

wehopethatyouchoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 09:55 AM

Hello Sydney people

I'm the (current) assistant manager for Buzzle Taylor Square, in Darlinghurst, Sydney.
It's 12:30 in the morning on Friday March 23 and our store has not yet received our copies of Mac OS X, but i'm told we will get them some time today (i.e. Friday).
As someone else posted, our Glebe store does have them already, but they are refusing to open any earlier than 10am.
My store doesn't open until 10am on Saturday, either.

Assuming I get the stock on Friday, I will be in at 9:00am on Saturday to put it all up on the shelves and merchandise and so forth.
The front door will be locked.
If you come up and knock and ask to buy it, i'll tell you to sod off until 10:00am.
BUT - if you say the magic phrase "Mac. N. N." i'll let you in and buy it straight away before I finish putting the stock on the shelves.

It may only be an hour early, but it's better than just getting it at 10:00am like everyone else.

Of course, this is assuming that Apple doesn't screw up with the shipping and my store misses out.
(don't laugh, it's happened before...)

SO Sydney-siders, pop in to Buzzle Taylor Square (Shop 2, 11-21 Flinders Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney) and grab your copy (one hour) early by just saying the words "Mac N N".

I might add that this isn't some sort of Buzzle Group marketing trick.
There's nothing special about the store i work in and it's not bargain basement pricing. It's just one hour earlier. That's all.
I want you back home and installing Mac OS X before I officially open the shop at 10am.
I'm doing this out of enthusiasm for the Mac community.
I damned well hate waking up earlier in the morning than absolutely necessary, and I won't be getting an extra hour's worth of pay for doing this either.

Anyway - yeah. See you then.
And don't forget, if you don't say Mac NN, you dont get Mac OS 10 (until after 10am).

cheers from wehopethatyouchoke.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2001, 10:04 AM

Just check out the way that "2" hops on screen on the Apple.com page. It must be a message to you Aussies !

hk-star
Mar 22, 2001, 10:28 AM

and another adelaidean : )

hk/star

Jason Galarneau
Mar 22, 2001, 10:34 AM

Hey, do I count? I'm an American, but I live in Adelaide too.... I'll be getting OS X down at Next Byte in Glen Osmond or the Apple Center on Gouger Street... we SHOULD get a user group together...
Ciao,
-J

eno
Banned
Mar 22, 2001, 11:24 AM

Adelaide here.

Is it true that Wincent has offices in Adelaide? I heard someone on his forums say that he was located in Redmond?

But BTW I think a user group is a good idea. We could make Adelaide the world centre for everything OS X! ;-)

[This message has been edited by eno (edited 03-22-2001).]

Monkeymike
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2001, 11:56 AM

Hey everyone,
Another Aussie here but I live in Los Angeles now!!
I really miss home and just wanted to say G'day to all my fellow country men. I cant believe how exspensive Mac products are in Oz. I checked out the Apple Australia website and I was shocked!!! I guess the dollar sucks right now too.......we can all thank Mr Howard for that one.
Take care
Cheers
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

worldy
Mar 22, 2001, 09:31 PM

MMMMMmmmmm - Just received this email!

SHIPPING CONFIRMATION
Web Order Number: XXXXXXXX

The following products have been shipped to you as part of your order.

Once again, here are your order details:

Part Number Product Name Qty Ship Date

--------------------------------------------------------------------

M7686Z/A MAC OS X 1.0 RETAIL-INT 1 23-MAR-2001

Delivery of your order is expected within 1-7 days of the shipping date.

Your proof-of-purchase has been sent to the billing address shown on your
Order Confirmation e-mail.

Before signing for delivery, check your order to ensure that it is complete.

If you have any questions about your order, please contact the Apple Store
on 133-622.

Thanks again for shopping at The Apple Store.

Note: Delivery time as indicated by the delivery company, however
this may vary depending on your location within Australia. (East coast
metropolitan areas, 1-2 days; rural, regional and other locations in
Australia, 3-7 days).

YEEEHHHAAAAHHH!!!!

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2001, 10:50 PM

Am I the only one here from Tasmania?

[other head] No! I'm here too!

[first head] Oi! shuttup! Pull your head in!

err.. heheh... just ignore him.

Anyhow, I go the email from the AppleStore today to say that my copy is shipping and will take 1 to 7 days to arrive. I'm expecting mid next week then.

sordid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 02:22 AM

this sux.. i still havent got my final candidate copy yet from apple ADC mailouts yet.. shipping shouldn't take this long!!! usually only takes 5 days max to get something from the states (sometimes even 3), I've been waiting 7.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2001, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
Am I the only one here from Tasmania?

[other head] No! I'm here too!

[first head] Oi! shuttup! Pull your head in!

err.. heheh... just ignore him.

Anyhow, I go the email from the AppleStore today to say that my copy is shipping and will take 1 to 7 days to arrive. I'm expecting mid next week then.
HAHAHA!!! I like your sense of humour, Brass.

I too have received confirmation of shipping - arrived on the 23/3, at 12.01 pm. Should be here shortly

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2001, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Monkeymike:

I guess the dollar sucks right now too.......we can all thank Mr Howard for that one.
Take care
Cheers
Politicians have almost nothing to do with currency values. Blame the currency trades. They're like packs of wilderbeast, and at the moment, they're trampling right over the top of us

------------------
"Note: Silencing the alarm does not solve the problem that caused it."
-- Sola (UPS) Users Guide

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 06:57 AM

OK OK ITS OFFICIAL!!!! Adelaide is the HOME of the Mac in Australia!
and yes i will be starting up an Aussie mac user group
If you have the retail version gimmi a hoi and lets get this going!
oh yea and to Jason Galarneau the guy that posted that he will go to get it from glen osmond tomorrow i live in HydePark in unley i expect you all to post ya email so i get get this thing going!
TOMMORROW is MACOS X DAY in Australia

Goethe
Mar 23, 2001, 07:00 AM

Melbourne here.

Is there any chance of it arriving on Saturday?

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2001, 07:06 AM

Installed OSX Friday night : )
Yep its says 4k78 in the about box.
Impressions later....

[This message has been edited by gsxrboy (edited 03-23-2001).]

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2001, 07:14 AM

I hate Australians.

LOL, just kidding. I just thought this is the one place I could say that to the most Aussies at one time.

Actually, Australia is #2 on my list of places to visit/live in my life.

Please don't take any offense. Have a nice day!

------------------

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2001, 09:31 PM

Who in adelaide has it???

Cipher13
Mar 23, 2001, 09:43 PM

Well, y'all probly know that I'm in Sydney, New South Wales.
Speaking of which, this morning I went to Buzzle at Broadway, just when it opened. Thats the one near Glebe.
I think it was around 10 AM. Anyone here go there?
They had OSX on a bunch of the comps.
And had a few boxes of it, I think...
Hehe, I did a few hacks on one of them too... spruce it up a little.
I think I did it to the dalmation iMac if anyone here works there...
LOL
It seemed pretty speedy on that machine...

Cipher13

JayJay1974
Mar 24, 2001, 12:42 AM

Another Sydneysider here. I would have thought that it wouldn't have been too much to ask of Apple to ship it today (24th) just to keep the faith of the users. They did it in the States, why can't they do it here? Hmm.... 'Spose I have to wait 'til Monday.

sordid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I hate Australians.

LOL, just kidding. I just thought this is the one place I could say that to the most Aussies at one time.

Actually, Australia is #2 on my list of places to visit/live in my life.

Please don't take any offense. Have a nice day!

And New Zealand is your no.1 place? ;p

sordid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
OK OK ITS OFFICIAL!!!! Adelaide is the HOME of the Mac in Australia!
and yes i will be starting up an Aussie mac user group
If you have the retail version gimmi a hoi and lets get this going!
oh yea and to Jason Galarneau the guy that posted that he will go to get it from glen osmond tomorrow i live in HydePark in unley i expect you all to post ya email so i get get this thing going!
TOMMORROW is MACOS X DAY in Australia
Just send me the left over beer here in brisbane ;P

aronde
Mar 24, 2001, 03:42 AM

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to Macs so can anyone in Australia tell me what the deal is with international English versions of software versus US? If i race out and get OSX next week and install it with my OS9.1 international edition etc, will the recent releases of iMovie etc work on our software - or do we have to wait for the right version?

Keen to hear how OSX is going for you guys who raced out and got it today - Russel Crowe or not....

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2001, 04:08 AM

Yup, iMovie and all those will work fine - generally only updaters, not new files altogether, need to be localised.
And FYI, I run a US system just for the hell of not having to worry about all that...

Cipher13

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 04:13 AM

Hi Cipher! Must have missed you by about an hour.

I rocked into Buzzle Broadway/Glebe about 11:15 am and bought the SEVENTH copy they sold that morning. Not exactly a rush to get it, was there.

In fact, blink and you'd miss it: you'd barely know it had been released. I *thought* there was going to be a demo day? At least the Next Byte chain junk-faxed me on Thursday to say there was, but their stores are miles away.

Ho hum, what a non-event. (Did that Blue Dalmatian/OS X have Internet access before you got to it Cipher? 'Cause it didn't when I tried it.)

Heard a rumour that Buzzle stores are de-merging?

Originally posted by aronde:
I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to Macs so can anyone in Australia tell me what the deal is with international English versions of software versus US? If i race out and get OSX next week and install it with my OS9.1 international edition etc, will the recent releases of iMovie etc work on our software - or do we have to wait for the right version?
Good news!

Mac OS X is an everywhere-at-once release. None of this wait months for a Z-release nonsense like previous OS releases. There is a copy of Z-9.1 in the box for transitional purposes, but X is X is X. There is full support for international date/time/regional/etc built into the core OS.

I've just downloaded iMovie for Mac OS X and installed it on the ("Australian") Mac OS X I bought this morning. I've been playing with it on my Cube 450/256MB with a SONY TR-8 DV camcorder.

iMovie X is phenomenal!!!! *Everything* is there.

Its performance is just tears-to-the-eyes beautiful - it is *more* responsive than iMovie under 9. Mouse sliding through captured clips is smooth as silk. This is one goddamn fine carbonization.

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2001, 04:35 AM

Damn!
Only an hour, how wierd, eh?
I'll say, I didn't even see the OSX boxes!
I didn't buy one mind you...
I just messed with the three iMacs - the dalmation with OSX, the Indigo with OSX, and I walked right by the Flower Power one - wasn't that Cube with the Cinema display sweet?
Too bad the Cube was dirty. Ugh.

Was it just me, or did the Dalmation iMac seem more responsive with OSX than the G4 Tower near the Indigo?
Ah well...

Indeed, no big deal made at all
What a shame.

Oh well.

I didn't check the iMac for net access... I was going to, but just couldn't be bothered...
They're de-merging?? Damn... I'll be Next Byte is glad they backed out...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 03-24-2001).]

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2001, 07:22 AM

iMac 500DVSE, 256mb Ram

Install was about 20 mins or so.

Mail.app will not connect to my local isp, works fine tho with mac.com
(background fetch error, cant acess blah blah even tho settings are exactly the same as eudora on the classic side (which can get mail) any help here would be great.

I get lots of spinning wait disc while using internet I think Internet Explorer slows the whole system down big time, go get Omniweb 4.0fc1 (now available). (I am getting it now). IE5.1pr really crashes hard on image heavy pages.

Get Openup.app do decompress some stuff, Stuffit can cause probs.
Finder responsiveness is good for moving around etc, apart from resizing any windows i.e apps, finder windows etc.

OSX takes forever to boot up compared to OS9.1

Apps open quite well. Classic works like a beaut.

Still not completely decided yet, looks great, most functions work a treat, see how the general speed goes in a day or so.

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 07:43 AM

Hey who in adelaide has os x final???
cheers,
Jono

galarneau
Mar 24, 2001, 08:02 AM

Yeah!!! got OS X at Next Byte in Glen Osmond...

kelix, the e-mail is [email protected]... let me know if you get some Adelaide user group thing going

BTW, I'm not so happy with the speed of the GUI... I was hoping for an increase over the PB, but it's still dogging and slower than OS 9

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 08:50 AM

galarneau you have mail =)

Phil W
Mar 24, 2001, 10:38 AM

Sydney here.

I visit Buzzle at Broadway and Chatswood.
Also, on Friday the guy at my Uni Apple Store said he would have sold me a copy on Friday arvo if I hung around for the shipment...

but I don't have a mac, so ...

Went and had a squiz at Buzzle Chatswood today. Dissapointed to see it was just 4K78, and not a super fast special "inside" build as per the rumours. Also, window resizing was soooooooo slow (G4 Cube with 22" cinema display). Otherwise it looks cool, and I'm looking forward to getting a copy I screw with and getting my hands dirty.

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 06:35 PM

Hey get a mac mate!!!
ok i can get this user group up.. ill get a webpage designed and forums and like.... ok if you can help out email me at
[email protected]

specially if you are in Adelaide!

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2001, 10:09 PM

Ok we have had alot of email so ill do this aussie usergroup thing! just need some aussies to helpout! if u have a copy of os x and a good setup (hardware wise) email me [email protected]

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2001, 10:21 PM

Well I would email you kelix/j0n0 but i'm having this trouble getting mail.app working with my BigPond Cable smtp server.

(null error)

Huh? I feel like i've gone from a black belt down to a white belt - i don't have a friggin clue what is going on.

Well it's over to kindergarten support area for me. My first real sour experience with the new OS (although it is an app I guess).

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2001, 10:24 PM

Well, I'm no local, but if I can help in any way...

Cipher13

Cipher13
Mar 24, 2001, 10:29 PM

Well, I'm no local, but if I can help in any way...

Cipher13

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2001, 12:06 AM

Hi Cipher. Is Buzzle Broadway your local store? I only go there about every six months. There is a store closer to me, but I don't go there at all because they're pretty near useless and never have anything.

I thought Buzzle Broadway was one of the bigger stores in Sydney, that's why I went to them to see if anything special X related was going down. Was *anywhere* in Sydney doing anything more than selling a box to people who knew they wanted one?

The Cinema Display is a mighty fine screen, but Buzzle Broadway must have the worst possible display for experiencing it: aimed directly at a bright window so it is virtually unreadable. Probably fades it in about a month too. I sure as hell won't be buying it ex-demo!

I figure that with as many posts to your name as you have (is that macnn figure genuine?!) you must have a cable modem. If so, what ISP are you on?

Have you configured the mail.app yet for your ISP's email a/c? Did it work?

undotwa
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2001, 12:41 AM

Cipher13! You go to Broadway too! Hehe, must of missed ya! hehe

Michael, there is a crappy store near me too... called Rochester Systems or something.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.mosrarchive
s.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mosrarchive
s.com</A>
In vino veritas.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2001, 12:59 AM

Okay, somewhat off-topic, but New Zealand-born, Australia-raised Russ got the Oscar.

(He's been here since a tot - he's ours, mate! You Kiwis can keep the mountaineer bloke. What does his passport say?)

Back on topic: I can't watch Gladiator on DVD in X

But I can dub it onto mini-DV and capture it with iMovie and watch it full screen in that, or export it into QuickTime format... And I can listen to the Napster downloaded soundtrack.

(If you're a lawyer: wasn't me, didn't do it, you can't prove it.)

kelix  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2001, 01:06 AM

Time to Resserect the post!
Hey to all the Aussie mac Users!!! Mail me if u have a copy =)

hk-star
Apr 12, 2001, 02:52 AM

kelix, i take it you go to next byte glen osmond?

tell me, were you there today?

hk-star

Forum Links
Forum Rules