Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17'' CRT Studio Display with my PC?

17'' CRT Studio Display with my PC?
JNG
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2004, 11:17 PM

Hi everyone. The monitor I use with my PC is developing severe ghosting problems I don't know how to fix, so I probably must get rid of it.

By way of replacement, I have a shot at one of the old Blue and White CRT Studio Displays (17'', which would be fine for me) for a good price. Sure, it's a little old, but still a nice Diamondtron monitor; I'd love to have something like this, as it would add a Mac touch to my boring old PC setup.

Thing is, I'm not sure how well this will work with my Windows XP PC and its GeForce3 graphics card. In fact, I know little about these monitors beyond that they look cool and I always wanted one.

Questions:

Does it have the standard VGA connector commonly seen on CRT monitors?

Does it come with Windows drivers, or are sutiable ones out there somewhere?

If not, will the default Windows XP display driver work OK? Will I be able to adjust brightness, contrast, screen position, and stuff like that? Are those controls on the monitor itself or are some software-only?

If anyone has any answers or opinons to contribute I'd be very grateful. I'm hoping some of you have tried these sorts of monitors with different computers and will know the score.

TIA

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2004, 11:39 PM

I have one that i used on a windows xp box untull it got knocked over and got a funky color problem. it worked great, yes it is astandard vga type adaptor. did not need any special drivers. just plug and play

JNG  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 06:58 AM

That's great! Thanks for the information. If anyone has a dissenting opinion, I hope it is voiced quickly, because I'll miss out on this deal if I don't move quickly.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2004, 10:26 AM

Just wanted to confirm... yes, the blue and white Studio display has a VGA connector. My brother has one and it is very nice, it does 1280x1024 at a respectable 75 Hz (most 17" monitors do that resolution at 60 Hz). My biggest concern would be that since it's so old (five years old now) it is in danger of dying.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules