Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MD dual gig G4 - video card options

MD dual gig G4 - video card options
83caddy16v
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 03:22 PM

I used the search and still don't feel 100% comfortable knowing which video cards will work for the mirror drive G4s. I am looking for a card that meets Motion's specifications or greater. I'm on the fence about getting a new G5 and would like if possible to move the video card I'm getting now to a G5 if I decide to get one this fall.

Is there a 256mb card that will work in the G4?

CDW ATI prices:
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro SE - $359 -- no "G5 only" requirement listed
�_256MB
�_AGP
�_Video Card

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Mac Edition $349 -- no "G5 only" requirement listed
�_ RADEON 9800 PRO
�_ AGP 4x
�_ 128 MB DDR
�_ TV out

ATI RADEON 9200 MAC EDITION - $129 (states G3 as processor type)
�_Graphics adapter
�_RADEON 9200
�_PCI
�_128 MB DDR
�_TV out

ATI RADEON 9000 PRO Mac Edition - $139
�_Graphics adapter
�_RADEON 9000 PRO
�_AGP
�_128 MB DDR

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 04:00 PM

Although it's only available as a "repair" part, you can always buy a Radeon 9700 Pro from somewhere like www.preowned.com and not return a core. I did that with my MDD dual 867 because I needed to keep the dual digital outputs and one ADC jack. It's significantly faster than my Radeon 9000 I had and not much slower than the 9800 from what I hear (especially given the limits of the CPU). You can probably get the card for around $400, making it comparable to the 9800 Pro.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 04:19 PM

Those Radeon 9800 prices are totally nuts. The PC version is $200. You can probably get a Mac version for $250. In fact I have one I'm selling right now. Absolutely do not buy a 9800 for more than $300.

If you're doing graphics-intensive stuff, then what you'll really want would be either a Radeon 9700 or 9800. The Mac version of the Radeon 9700 is very nice and will work in your machine. I don't know how much those go for generally, but it should be around $200. The 9800 is even better.

It also depends on what kind of monitors you're driving. The Mac version of the Radeon 9800 that would work in your machine has only DVI and VGA outputs, no ADC. The 9700, on the other hand, has ADC and DVI.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

83caddy16v  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 10:12 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm currently running a single 17" Apple LCD but I really need to get a 2nd LCD ( Apple or other ).

I'm doing mainly Photoshop, AfterEffects, some Illustrator and Studio MX and I'd like to use Motion on my tower. It runs on my 15" PowerBook but obviously not quick enough.

I like the form factor of the new iMac but don't think it would have enough umph when presseed.

appreciate the suggestions and feedback.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2004, 01:06 PM

This subject is interesting to me because my MDD G4's Radeon 9000 GPU is not supported by Tiger's Core Image. So I've been looking into a video card upgrade and have found pretty much nothing.

TimmyDee51:

Did you order the 9700 from Preowned.com? If so, are we talking about a brand new part?
Agent69

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 08:23 AM

Hi!

If you're a bit lucky you can get a Radeon 9600 from a G5 on ebay. It works in the MDD if you isolate two pins with some tape like described on http://www.techseekers.net/modules.p...wcontent&id=71 . I have done it and it wors perfectly, it also supports the new effects in Tiger. You'll have to do some soldering if you want to use the ADC in a G4 machine, though.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Did you order the 9700 from Preowned.com? If so, are we talking about a brand new part?
Yes and yes. Preowned actually had to get the part in (it was backordered), so I'm almost positive it wasn't remanufactured. It certainly didn't look like it was. Looked brand spankin' new (and trust me, I've seen my share of remanufactured parts).

They don't list the part on their site as they don't stock it. But if you create an account and then call them directly with the Apple part number 661-2798, they can order it for you. Get the reps name and extension so you can deal with them throughout the process. If need be and they will bend over backwards for you.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules