Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinking of getting the Superdrive upgrade

Thinking of getting the Superdrive upgrade
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 09:53 PM

For my PowerBook:

http://www.mcetech.com/pbg4dvdr8dl.html

Mostly want is to burn faster and for the dual layer burning

I'm afraid though that iDVD and DVD Studio Pro won't support it. Anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of this upgrade?

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 11:07 PM

Did you read the link you gave us?

From that link:
iApp Compatibility and More...

The MCE 8X Internal SuperDrive Upgrade with Double Layer support is seamlessly compatible with all of Apple's iApps including iTunes, iDVD, and iPhoto. In addition, it is compatible with Finder Burning and DVD Studio Pro, Apple's professional DVD Authoring software.

Pros:
Fast 8x, Dual Layer

Cons:
Difficulty to install: Moderate Level Upgrade, depending on what PB you have
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2004, 11:18 PM

Ahh, completely missed the DVD Studio Pro reference. Thanks

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 11:49 PM

np sometimes I miss these things too, 2 pairs of eyes is better than 1

If you get that upgrade, let us know how it goes , i'm also interested in it too
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

mikills
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2005, 11:20 PM

I just purchased and self-installed the MCE Superdrive (http://www.mcetech.com/pbg4dvdr8dl.html) to replace my busted Apple Superdrive and it works flawlessly. The Apple drive died on me after only 2 years of use. The MCE drive is fantastic, although it makes some light noise on system start-up. Installation was simple. If you place an order, make sure you specify which model PowerBook you own, as it appears there are different models of drives for each model of PowerBook.

I should also note that the temperature and fan use on the PowerBook appears to be much lower since upgrading the drive.
1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4 | 1GB RAM | 40GB Hard Drive | MCE SuperDrive Upgrade | MacOS 10.4.9

2.33GHz MacBook Pro | 3GB SDRAM | 160GB Hard Drive | MacOS 10.4.9

Sprint Treo 650 | Cingular Blackberry 8700c

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 12:29 PM

Here's something you also might want to consider: An external Pioneer 16X DVR108 ($72) in a firewire case ($45 and up) which gives you the flexibility of plugging it into multiple Macs upon demand. Cheaper, faster, dual burning, I've burned many DVDs and just love it.. The Patchburn plugin gives you iApps support. Check out the xlr8yourmac.com website for more info.

Since I've now sold my Ti, I've still got the DVR108 connected to my "interim" Mac and will be able to use it with my next "combo" mac.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 01:56 PM

$300+ for DVD burning on the go sounds like a waste of cash to me. Your better off with the external seeing how it's lots cheaper, and how often will you really need to burn a DVD on the go (don't forget how long these things take to burn)?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bighead
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
$300+ for DVD burning on the go sounds like a waste of cash to me. Your better off with the external seeing how it's lots cheaper, and how often will you really need to burn a DVD on the go (don't forget how long these things take to burn)?
The whole idead of getting the 8x drive is to make the burning not take so long. I'd just assume buy the mechanism from an online vendor, rather than a marked up "upgrade" from MCE.

Also, the difference between the "drives" when you select which model PowerBook you own is the difference in mounting brackets they include. (I think)
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:19 PM

Let's see $150 16x external or $300 8x internal (and voiding your Applecare unless you get an Appletech to do the install for another $75-$100), I guess that's your call.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tiansa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2005, 03:28 PM

directed to mikills...

Cool upgrade...
When you check your system profile or use toast to burn discs, what is the identity of the mechanism??? It would be interesting to see if there are third party sources for the DL drive...
Cheers...

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 09:21 PM

I purchased a MCE 8x SuperDrive Upgrade for PowerBook G4 with Double Layer Support from MCE at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. The box I was given was missing the software drivers CD.

Could someone email ([email protected]) it to me? It would be a great help, especially since MCE isn't answering phone support calls till after MWSF, and their email is full (everything bounces back).

-Todd...

Forum Links
Forum Rules