Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New DVD-R drive doesn't work

New DVD-R drive doesn't work
TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 09:23 PM

I am running an Aluminum 15" PowerBook that came with SuperDrive, and I just got the MCE 8x upgrade. Problem is after installing the hardware, the drive does not come up at all according to the Mac. Checked the connections, and the drive is getting power (it accepted a CD, now there's no way to eject it) - I plugged the old SuperDrive back in just to check connections again and that works fine. Anyone have any solutions?

bighead
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 03:24 AM

Get a new drive? Sounds like a good candidate for an RMA.

What model drive is it, BTW? Is MCE's labeling all over the original label? They're down here in my neck of the woods, but I'm too lazy to drive over and ask what mechanism they use.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 03:45 AM

Says it's a Pioneer DVR-K04L, Mfd in Nov 2004

Double checked twice that it's connected right and reconnected my original drive 3 times and all 3 times it worked

The drive powers up though and holding the trackpad button at startup forces an eject, but when I look at ATA under system profiler, there's no evidence it's connected and when I insert a disc, it just takes it and does nothing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 08:34 AM

If it's got power, that's a good sign.

Is there a jumper on the device that can be switched for master/slave operation? Perhaps that's set incorrectly?

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 01:58 PM

No jumper on the drive

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2004, 12:07 PM

Send it back as defective.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2005, 01:31 AM

Pioneer DVR-K04L

HAHA MCE is ripping EVERYONE off! Just so you know the drive is for sale for $114 everywhere else. Yes it works just fine. The new dual layer $300 they are selling is a ripoff too. It's just the new pioneer drive.

Just thought you would all like to know.. $114. I'm so sick of people getting ripped off.

Save yourself $200

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 12:29 AM

Here's the deal

I called last week and they said a couple of other people have had the same problems with Aluminum PowerBooks, but not everyone, and it's an issue they expected to be resolved and they'd contact me by E-mail. Still waiting. I'm going to send it back and ask for my money back.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 09:23 PM

I purchased a MCE 8x SuperDrive Upgrade for PowerBook G4 with Double Layer Support from MCE at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. The box I was given was missing the software drivers CD.

Could someone email ([email protected]) it to me? It would be a great help, especially since MCE isn't answering phone support calls till after MWSF, and their email is full (everything bounces back).

-Todd...

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 09:31 PM

No software drivers CD for me either - their support has been extremely slow and I am going to ask for my money back.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 09:40 PM

Might your problems be related to no drivers? That would be my first guess... part of the reason I've not installed the drive yet.

-Todd...

bighead
Senior User
Jan 12, 2005, 09:48 PM

PatchBurn doesn't get the drive working? That's the first thing I'd try...

It got a DVR-108 working on a friend's QS2k2 running 10.2.8 yesterday. It should work on your PowerBook.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 01:23 AM

What version of OSX are you running? I just upgraded to 10.3.7 and when i go in with PatchBurn it says the drive is supported.

I was able to get my drive installed and to show up in the system profiler. My problem is the drive will not accept discs... it just ejects them. I've tried a few different types, but nothing will stay in the computer. There is power, but something else is screwie... I have to do some more research, hopefully something will solve the problem.

-Todd...

TheGreatButcher  (op)
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 01:45 AM

With the amount I paid for this, it should work right the first time

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2005, 02:59 AM

Update.... the drive has accepted, burned, mounted, and read a CDR. I do not know what has happened to make things different, but it works.

Upgrading to 10.3.7 (before installing the drive) made it so no drivers were needed. The system profile shows the drive as:

ATA-3 Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K04L
Revision: 1.00
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

The disk was burned with Toast v6 with no problems.
I've not tried to burn with other software, but I will assume it's good (as the "Apple Supported" looks good to me.)

-Todd...

tiansa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 04:23 PM

The lowest price that I have seen for the DVR-K04L is $199 - whcih vendor lists the drive for $114 - that would truly be an intriguing option... Many thanks in advance...

Forum Links
Forum Rules