Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > connect a 1 gb scsi JAZ drive to usb mac?

connect a 1 gb scsi JAZ drive to usb mac?
blindspot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2000, 04:35 PM

does anyone know if it's possible to hook a 1 gb JAZ to a usb mac. i've looked at scsi to USB converters, but most of them don't guarentee compatibility.

anyone had experience with this?

also, can anyone tell me what type of SCSI cable connects to the back of the JAZ drive?

i would appreciate any help you can offer...

thanks much.

PatGmac
Jul 27, 2000, 05:51 PM

Iomega puts out their own adapter specifically for the Jaz. Contact your favorite reseller and ask for Iomega part# 13146.

Jodar
Jul 31, 2000, 02:53 PM

Beware of Iomega products. I bought a 1GB External SCSI drive exactly two years ago that no longer works! Iomega says I'm out of luck because it is out of warranty. The drive worked fine about two months ago. I've gleaned the various tech sites for help, but to no avail. If I were to do it all over, I would've bought something else.

blindspot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2000, 03:24 PM

jodar,

what removable media have you switched to?

i looked at orb drives before i bought the JAZ. orb drives have good specs, but i've had people tell me that the media is not very stable.

are there any other options?

thanks,

nate

Jodar
Jul 31, 2000, 04:01 PM

Actually, I haven't switched yet. In Sunday's Washington Post, CompUSA has advertised a 2GB Refurbished Iomega Drive for only $99. I have to have a replacement drive to retrieve my archived data. So, I'm 99% sure I will buy the refurb drive. Besides, I'll have twice the capacity and also, the 2GB drive will read 1GB disks also.

When I buy my new computer (maybe one of the newer G4s by Xmas), I'll invest in a DVD RAM drive. The DVDs hold something like 9GBs of data on one CD and are much cheaper than the JAZ cartridges.

Forum Links
Forum Rules