Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Darwin Port trouble

Darwin Port trouble
alfredo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 11:19 PM

I was trying to install inkscape and the connection dropped. Since then I have been getting this message:

Waiting for lock on /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/file._opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync. opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports_devel_gettext/work/.darwinports.gettext.state

I tried to install xchat just to see if it will install, but I get the same message. How do I fix it?

Tks

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by alfredo
I was trying to install inkscape and the connection dropped. Since then I have been getting this message:

Waiting for lock on /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/file._opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync. opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports_devel_gettext/work/.darwinports.gettext.state
Have you tried removing the above files ?

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2005, 10:44 AM

It took me a bit of digging, but I found the correct command to remove the files. Since then I have tried installing Xephem, but lesstif won't build. In Inkscape gettext won't build.

My connection is still flaky, so I will dig back into it when that gets sorted out. It seems to have a tougher time dealing with those problems than Fink. All I really want is inkscape and Xephem. I am trying the binary inkscape now. Xephem will not install in binary, Neither will Inkscape.

I am about ready to go back to the comfort of Fink.

leira
Jun 27, 2005, 02:49 PM

Code:
port clean -all {packageName}
will clean out the work directories of the packages and cause you to redownload them.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 08:36 PM

Thanks.

I did that, then downloaded fink, installed inkscape and chalked it up to experience. I will come back to it when I am in a place where I can dedicate time to learning the ins and outs of Darwin Ports.

I decided to go back to something I know for now.

leira
Jun 28, 2005, 02:33 PM

well both those packages depend on gettext and that is what you are having problems with. after a
Code:
port clean --all gettext
try building inkscape again.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2005, 03:18 PM

I did that, but I had problems with another dependency. I cleaned all after each failed attempt.

I also tried Xephem, but ran into a brick wall with lesstif.

I then tries something easy, Xoas, and it failed too.

I will try again at a future date, but for now Fink is working just fine.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2005, 06:28 PM

New error. I know, I swore off port, but I decided to give it a try. My question is: Is it OK to remove gettext, or is it needed by OSX?

mail:~ ennui$ sudo port -b install inkscape
Password:
---> Installing gettext 0.14.3_1
---> Activating gettext 0.14.3_1
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/gettext already exists and does not belong to a registered port. Unable to activate port gettext.

leira
Jul 5, 2005, 11:21 AM

it's my understanding that anything you install under darwinports can be removed w/o worry.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 11:34 AM

Done. Thanks.

Now for another stab at installing inkscape.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 12:40 PM

Just did and got this.

mail:~ ennui$ sudo port uninstall gettext
---> Uninstalling gettext 0.14.3_1
mail:~ ennui$ sudo port install inkscape
---> Installing gettext 0.14.3_1
---> Activating gettext 0.14.3_1
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/gettext already exists and does not belong to a registered port. Unable to activate port gettext.

I did the installed command and got this:

The following ports are currently installed:
boehmgc 6.4_0 (active)
libiconv 1.9.2_1

Spotlight shows it does exist in several areas including
"/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/file._opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync. opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports_devel_gettext/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/gettext"

"/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/file._opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync. opendarwin.org_dpupdate_dports_devel_gettext/work/gettext-0.14.3"

leira
Jul 6, 2005, 12:33 AM

i dont know dude, try to uninstall all ports, use the clean --all command on the ports you had installed. if that doesnt work, uninstall and reinstall the darwinports tree. or maybe someone else can give you better hints.

use the -d switch for port, it can give you some great information. also remember to use root privs to install and uninstall ports.

alfredo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2005, 01:29 AM

thanks! I will do just that.

I think I ran into trouble because my connection dropped during download. Also I had to shutdown while one package was being built. (thunderstorm hit)_

Forum Links
Forum Rules