Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Crash - help

Crash - help
toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 02:37 PM

hi. my old new power mac G4 (AGP, with Tiger, 512 Mb RAM) crashed, i.e safari stopped working, and when im restarting the computer it shows this message:
http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~cbjorksk/i...ash_report.jpg
and does nothing else.

i recently added a third harddrive, replacing the zipdrive, but it worked fine so i dont think it has something to do with that.

could it be a virus or something?
or what?

i don't know.
I guess i could reinstall Tiger, but i'd like to know what the problem is.

This is the network at home: http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~cbjorksk/i...%20network.pdf

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2005, 02:40 PM

No, it's not a virus, it's an old fashion unbuffered kernel panic. Your installation of Tiger looks like it's FUBAR. You could try Disk Warrior (a good idea in general), but in this case I would instead recommend doing an Archive and Install to reinstall the OS.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 04:42 PM

but i like the last line of the report...

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 04:46 AM

Hi just wanted to tell you guys that the problem was caused by a memory that was corrupted
it was a 256 Mb Kingston memor so ill get a new from it's lifetime warranty

I tried to reinstall Tiger, but it complained about writing error, so the i removed one memory stick at a time to see which one was corrupted. and when i removed the 256 kingston memoy everything was ok.

so now i'm happy again.

the os x experience has not been damaged by this.

i got all my settings back because i installed (clean) it on another drive an imorted my settings from "another partition" that is the orhter drive.

i also made a RAID system with the two other 10GB drives (for ducuments etc., called it Covenant because 2 became one) and put the system on the 40GB drive

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 04:50 AM

i also made a RAID system with the two other 10GB drives (for ducuments etc., called it Covenant because 2 became one) and put the system on the 40GB drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules