Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Interesting observation

Interesting observation
toffe
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 05:56 AM

I discovered something interresting just now, som of you would perhaps not think it is that interresting at all, but then you can just read some other thread.

I sit at my iBook now, i have the receiver for a baby alarm, those walkie-talkie kind of things close to the laptop (1 ich to the front-left of the laptop).

I was browsing the net, scrolling down by pressing the down button, and then i noticed that each time i pressed the down button, causing the browser to scroll down a bit, there was a little sczxkzxsshh sound in the receiver, i would not have noticed it, but as i rythmically scrolled down, i heard the same ryhm in the receiver.

i noticed that when the screen refreshes / writes something new, the signal is heard in the receiver.
( Last edited by toffe; Nov 30, 2005 at 06:01 AM. Reason: addedpicture)

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 09:04 AM

I was about to say that this was not an iBook issue, but on reflection, I think it really is. Your baby monitor is pretty sensitive, and your iBook seems to be leaking a bit of RF, which the monitor is picking up...

Which model of iBook do you have, and how old is it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 09:28 AM

1,2 Ghz 12" iBook G4

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2005, 09:34 AM

Thereceiver (including antenna) and the screen are about the same height.
since lcd screens are drawn from top to bottom (i guess, or are they drawn in small squares simultaneously) it migth function as a transmitter, sending out a signal of a certain wavelength (perhaps depending on the screensize). Since the receiver has about the same antennalength as the screenheigth, it migth receive that radiowave.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 12:43 PM

That sounds like what's happening. It's not a problem as such. Just be aware that you'll hear some leakage when the screen redraws. Or move the receiver a few centimeters away and note the wonders of the cube-square law; moving a little distance cuts down the signal level a LOT!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 01:51 PM

I think you mean inverse-square law.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 02:31 PM

Whar frequency does the baby monitor run on? We've noticed a periodic "sczxkzxsshh" on ours as well, but we've never correlated it to our laptops, especially since it happens when our laptops aren't on in the middle of the night sometimes. I suspect that it's our thermometer that communicates to a wireless unit outside that's the culprit.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by wataru
I think you mean inverse-square law.
Um....of course I meant inverse-square! Didn't I write inverse-square? Oh. I guess I didn't. It must have been a massive caffiene shortage-or maybe too much blood in my caffiene system. Either way, "OOPS." <sheepishly wanders off, head down>

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 02:12 AM

They frequencies are a bit different defending on where they are sold, but for this model they are all around 40Mhz (the model is PHILIPS SBC SC 364/90)

I think the sonunds in the night migth come from anything, there are all kinds of background noice and radiowaves around us.

Forum Links
Forum Rules