Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > On brink of buying my first iPod, Need advice!

On brink of buying my first iPod, Need advice!
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 10:51 PM

I think I might finally (with some extra money that has taken months and months to save up for) I am thinking I might buy my first iPod. iPod video 60GB (or 80GB since I would wait until next update which I thought was going to be a 80GB) I would really prefer 80GB since my music collection is 72GB and growing (lossless I am one of them). Now it seems that on April first instead of an 80GB upgrade this new true Video iPod is coming out. Bottom line for me is I don't want the iPod for video a 5 inch screen is just way to small for me. Maybe for photo viewing but that would be rare. I would be getting it for working out, and music when I am on the bus, and for listening to podcasts in bed (with some small speakers) that's it.

What's been holding me off on the iPod all these years (other then price) is battery life (discman has 55hrs), space (60GB os getting closer), and the moving parts. The nano was looking attractive, but of course space is too small (on the fly down-converting would be nice).

Because of my vision I won't ever watch video on it realisticly. I will also get the Futureshop/Best Buy 3-Year warrenty that also for free upgrades.

So what do I do? I am legally blind with mild CP so I do fall or trip due to a combonation of both so I am thinking the big big screen is a bad idea.

Thanks (Looking for forum with the quickest response hence MacNN Lounge)
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 11:36 PM

see if anything gets announced this april, then go from there. And get the most space you can since you obviously have a huge library. Enjoy no matter which one you settle on.

milhous
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 11:47 PM

stating the obvious here, but one of the things to realize is that when you have an ever-expanding music library, the iPod will never be able to hold all the music you have. even if an 80GB model was released and was able to hold everything you had now, you'll have to eventually have to pick and choose what you want on it because your collection will continue to grow over time.

i'm thinking about getting a new one myself. i have the original 5gb model and it will have to be fixed to get it working again. in addition, because the original ipod's electronics are a bit more delicate then newer models, it would have to constantly be a break/fix situation. thus i think it's more cost effective for me to get a new one, and i think they're built to be more rugged and durable as well.

because it's not a priority for either one of us to get new ipods asap, i suggest that you just wait a few weeks to see what new models are released, if any.

as one who has to travel a fair bit on business, i think a video-optimized ipod would be cool to take movies along with you rather then having to tote around dvds and watch them on a laptop. but that's a niche need and i wouldn't neccesarily be compelled to buy the new model, considering that they'll cost more than the 5g models that are available now.

there are also hard case protectors for the ipods so i think you should be quite alright in that respect.

good luck.
F = ma

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 11:58 PM

The new full screen iPods don't interest me since the screen is way to big and I will never watch movies (even on the ferry bus etc, just damm to small) and I don't have a portable. I would like the largest possible and will wait until the next rev since it should be within the next month (I hope). Accorrding to MacRumors this cycle has been 148 days and the average is 145 days.Now if the $399 stays as 60GB and Apple Introduces 60GB full screen video at $399 80GB $499 not sure then $399 seems the best.
--Stephen King

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 12:03 AM

I love my Nano. I use my iPod everyday for hours a day and have a 40 gig music collection. The 4 gig space limitation is not a big deal at all. With smart playlists and organization you can make it work for you.I sync my iPod about once a week and I never run out of fresh songs.

I used to have a 20 gig iPod and I was happy to trade the extra storage space for the small size and flash memory of the Nano. Have not regretted it once for a split second.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 12:20 AM

Owner of the original 5 GB model and a 512 shuffle (great for the gym and pretty powerful output!)

My next one will be a black nano...

Main reason for upgrade: Dock connector.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:37 AM

My music/podcast collection is 3,500 and I might be getting some old CD's from my mom so say 3,700 that's about 78GB. My computer is hooked up to my stereo. I was thinking using an app to down-convert the Lossless to (what would be a good bit-rate) 192-320 how much space would that take up? I have 15.3 days at present including podcasts, audiobooks (the free stuff) and music. If I down-converted (some lossless is only 300kbps which is surprising (Wizard of Oz Soundtrack (1939)). How much space could I expect it to use?
--Stephen King

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2006, 04:47 AM

Id wait till after april the first before buying an ipod because thats probably imo when the new ones will be released.

Alcoholica
Mar 10, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
My music/podcast collection is 3,500 and I might be getting some old CD's from my mom so say 3,700 that's about 78GB. My computer is hooked up to my stereo. I was thinking using an app to down-convert the Lossless to (what would be a good bit-rate) 192-320 how much space would that take up? I have 15.3 days at present including podcasts, audiobooks (the free stuff) and music. If I down-converted (some lossless is only 300kbps which is surprising (Wizard of Oz Soundtrack (1939)). How much space could I expect it to use?
I have ten days of music, encoded at 128kbps with Apple's AAC encoder. It comes to around 17GB.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Alcoholica
I have ten days of music, encoded at 128kbps with Apple's AAC encoder. It comes to around 17GB.
That's about what I have.

Alcoholica
Mar 10, 2006, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
That's about what I have.
Is that ten days and twenty hours? That seems pretty small, as I actually have 9.9 days. As you can see, Mac Write, it tends to vary dependant on your collection.

Super Mario
Mar 10, 2006, 09:09 AM

If anybody wants to wait I'm doing an iPod competition soon The winner gets whatever the top iPod is in July. More news later.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 01:58 PM

Won't lossless on an iPod just EAT the battery for lunch?

"Barwaraaawww"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2006, 04:04 PM

I wish you all the best with your decision. Sounds like waiting till April would be prudent.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
stating the obvious here, but one of the things to realize is that when you have an ever-expanding music library, the iPod will never be able to hold all the music you have. even if an 80GB model was released and was able to hold everything you had now, you'll have to eventually have to pick and choose what you want on it because your collection will continue to grow over time..
What ?

I seriously doubt that his music collection will grow faster than growth of HD space according to Kryder's Law.

-t

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 04:30 PM

First, I think you'd be better off converting your lossless into something reasonable for the iPod. This really depends on what kind of headphones you have! If you have a really nice set, you might be able to hear the distortion of a lower bitrate file, so you might want to encode at something higher—I encode my music at 256kbps VBR AAC. The size obviously varies depending on what's being encoded, but is roughly twice the length of the song (i.e. a 4:00 minute song is 8 MB).

Second, seriously rethink if you really want your whole library with you. When I got my first iPod (10 GB first gen) it held my entire library at the size it was at that time. But I immediately realized I didn't want NEARLY all of that music on my iPod. Today, I have 4700 songs (13 days 9 hours) but only have 120 songs (9 hours) on my 1 GB iPod Shuffle.

This would open up your options on an iPod purchase by a whole lot. I love the Shuffle because of its tremendous battery life and tiny "coin pocket" size, but that may be just too small (in storage) for you.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
What ?

I seriously doubt that his music collection will grow faster than growth of HD space according to Kryder's Law.

-t
True, but people don't continually upgrade their HDs as capacity grows.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
True, but people don't continually upgrade their HDs as capacity grows.
That was not my point.

My point is: Milhous' statement might be true today, but NOT in 2-3 years.
In 3 years, I think 99% of the people will have a smaller music library than iPod space.

Just think about it: if you have a 70 gig library today, have you had only a 9 gigs 3 years ago ? ( 9 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 72 ) I doubt it. If you have 70 gig now, you probably had a quite big library back then as well. Most people don't grow their libraries at these rates.

-t

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 05:33 PM

Actually in 2003 my library was at around 1,500 I have at least doubled it since then and gorw on about 20-40 CD's/year. I never buy from iTMS, but am listening to more and more podcasts (will auto cycle them from the iPod). I am waiting until April (since I won't have the money really until then) and 80GB would be preferable, but not with the big new screen as my budget is $399. I am think also of adding the Futureshop 3-Year warrenty as you can exchange it (Battery dies etc). I caculated 30GB for my current collection+5GB for my none lossless stuff (audio book (free stuff), podcasts etc). Bottom line once I use the Apple-script to down-convert to 320kps I should be sitting at 32GB. 60GB is doable and 80GB is the sweet spot (with 25+ hours of battery life). I just hope a size upgrade happens and no full-screen toucscreen iPod comes out (leaving the 60GB at the current size/price ).
--Stephen King

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
That was not my point.

My point is: Milhous' statement might be true today, but NOT in 2-3 years.
In 3 years, I think 99% of the people will have a smaller music library than iPod space.

Just think about it: if you have a 70 gig library today, have you had only a 9 gigs 3 years ago ? ( 9 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 72 ) I doubt it. If you have 70 gig now, you probably had a quite big library back then as well. Most people don't grow their libraries at these rates.

-t
I think I get what you're saying. His rate of music addition will slow down, yadda yadda ydda.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
I think I get what you're saying. His rate of music addition will slow down, yadda yadda ydda.
Not quite, but almost:
His rate of music addition was never and will never be as fast as HD space grows.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2006, 06:00 PM

Actually in 2003 my library was at around 1,500 I have at least doubled it since then and gorw on about 20-40 CD's/year..
Well, HD space roughly grew eigthfold !!! (800%) in the same period.

-t

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 10:10 PM

Thanks to the iTMS, my music buying has increased (great place to preview stuff then go to the real store and by the CD at allot let at least here in Canada ).
--Stephen King

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2006, 04:07 AM

I love my 30 gig. Get a good case and even if you drop it it'll still be fine for the most part. Don't buy a case from BestBuy though. Buy a good one online or get the iPod socks or something.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:04 AM

I am honing on the Shure E2c's as other then having better sound then the Sony EX-51's (which tips cost $30 per set CDN) have replacement 5-Pack of the tips for $15 Canadian+Shipping.

Ya a good case (providing I can get it in Canada) is a must with a screen prection. Also needs to be confortable to wear when working out (weights, bike, rowing, free-weights), stretching).
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 01:22 PM

I doubt you will hear any difference between lossless and 256 bit AAC with $ 90 earplugs...

-t

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 02:43 PM

The new full screen iPods don't interest me since the screen is way to big and I will never watch movies (even on the ferry bus etc, just damm to small) and I don't have a portable. I would like the largest possible and will wait until the next rev since it should be within the next month (I hope). Accorrding to MacRumors this cycle has been 148 days and the average is 145 days.Now if the $399 stays as 60GB and Apple Introduces 60GB full screen video at $399 80GB $499 not sure then $399 seems the best.
I understand your point.

However, if the new big screen have a feature to enlarge onscreen character, would that be helpfuk for you? I understand you are l;egally blind, but I am just wondering. Not that I want to push you to purchase the video iPod (if it happens), but really thinking in terms of convenience for you.

On the other hand, waiting is a good thing, as there are often price reductions for enhanced capabilities. There are also refurbished models that could suit you.

I agree with previous posters about the capacity: I have 120 or a 140 gig and I live well with a nano 4gig. The idea is that I know I need to plan ahead about my tastes of music.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 05:52 PM

I will never buy a refurbished product. Also will buy from Futureshop/Best Buy to get the 3-Year un-conditional exchange warranty. I wish the iPod Video did have font size controls. As for if the True iPod Video had it but at a premium above $399 ($499+) no-way. Not worth it at all.
--Stephen King

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2006, 07:09 PM

You'll never buy a refurbished product, and you insist on getting the extended warranty? Can you say s-u-c-k-e-r?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 07:15 PM

No actually. it means in 2 years if my iPod battery doesn't hold a charge as well etc I will get an over the counter replacement to a new model of equal price (current $399 model) if it gets scratches it's replaced. Some store warrenties are bad some are good. In the iPod's case it's good (my mom got it and she doesn't get extended warranties).
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 09:16 PM

) if it gets scratches it's replaced.
Sure about that ?
Yeah, I know, the sales people always tell you that (I was told to use the same pitch), but it almost NEVER true. Read the fine print.

)(my mom got it and she doesn't get extended warranties).

So your mom got it, and that's why it must be a good deal ?

-t

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 10:41 PM

When the battery does not work right they will replace it (which give piece of mind) which is a big iPod problem. I told her she shouldn't have gotten it but them she said why. The sales guy said people exchange them all the time. We will see.
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2006, 10:51 PM

When the battery does not work right they will replace it.
By THEIR definition.

That doesn't mean you'll get a brand new iPod everytime the battery losses 30 mins playtime.

-t

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2006, 11:42 PM

My wife has RP, an eye condition that leaves her unable to see her ipod's screen. She has had a 20 gig with non-color LCD (gen3?) for over a year. She is permanently conneced to her ipod at work and at home it seems. I think she likes it. She navigates all by memory. It seems a shame that there is no speech capability to assist her, but she manages. She claims to have a mnemonic device to help her remember the top menu:
"My personal entertainment system sounds beautiful" or something like that. Funny but effective.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 01:36 AM

If they send it back to Apple and Apple puts in a new battery that's perfect. Fixing it is just fine. It's also insurance (since I don't have any since I only rent a room). So now the question is how good is the Futureshop Insurance, what will it cover…?
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 10:47 AM

So now the question is how good is the Futureshop Insurance, what will it cover…?
I dunno. RTFsmallprint

-t

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 11:17 AM

The screen for the ipod video is quite small, how many of you really watch something on it? I'm wondering if I should get an ipod video too! If anything it's slick!
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

meelk
Baninated
Mar 12, 2006, 11:34 AM

how long will a shuffle really run for, and is the sound more than acceptable for general use? I'm torn right now between a nano and shuffle, but with the shuffle I wouldnt have to buy anything else. The nano almost requires me to buy a dock and neck strap.
a shuffle with an oled screen would be perfect.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 04:58 PM

Mac Write,

want a good deal on the Shure earphones ?

Buy.com has the Shure E3c-n Sound-Isolating Earphones in Black (pictured) for $111.99.
The Shure E2c-n cost $62.99, while the Shure E4c-n cost $185.99. With free shipping !

http://dealnews.com/deals/Shure-Soun...-c/112743.html

-t

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 10:59 PM

But I live in Canada and can only buy from Canadian sites/retailers. Seems the Futureshop Extended Warrenty is a joke and not reliable. I have decided on the ER-6i's.
--Stephen King

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2006, 11:08 PM

But I live in Canada and can only buy from Canadian sites/retailers.
Why ? Who says that ?

-t

volcano
Senior User
Mar 12, 2006, 11:22 PM

But I live in Canada and can only buy from Canadian sites/retailers. Seems the Futureshop Extended Warrenty is a joke and not reliable. I have decided on the ER-6i's.
Another thing to consider: if you want to purchase an iPod from a retailer other than Apple, it usually takes a lot longer for them to receive new models and actually sell them. For example, when I bought my 20GB iPod with color display in August, the salesman at Circuit City tried to sell me the older 20GB model without a color screen. They still had a considerable amount of old stock - 2 months after that particular iPod model was introduced. When I replaced that model with a 30GB black iPod with video capabililty, Circuit City didn't receive the new models in until mid-December, which was a month after they were introduced. To make matters even worse, they didn't have the newest models at the 3 stores near my house, and I had to drive nearly 60 miles to pick it up, because they weren't even shipping the new iPods yet.

Apple, on the other hand, begins shipping items like the iPod immediately after they introduce them. You can usually find them at an Apple store a few days later.

But, alas, I will continue to purchase my iPods at Circuit City, because of their warranty. I've sent in 2 iPods within the past year and received a giftcard with the full amount I paid (including tax) each time - so I ended up buying a newer model.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2006, 08:27 AM

IMO — get the iPod when you need it. That way, you'll never have regrets.

Also, how come nobody manages their music on the Ipod? I have a 4GB nano and it's fine because all my music is on my mac and I adjust as needed. plus, with all sorts of FREE content like podcasts available, there is no drive that's too small.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2006, 04:53 PM

Well I have heard allot of complaints about the Futureshop extended warrenty/ Seems they don't honor it (else I would get it). Not sure anymore. My local store can order directly from the on-line store+give me a $30+ discount at the same time.
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules