Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync not syncing

iSync not syncing
goose
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2006, 05:50 PM

I have an iSync issue when trying to sync to a Treo 650. I open up iSync and click on the sync button, it shows the status bar and then says staring up and then it stops right there. My udpates to iCal don't show up in the Treo (was thinking it wouldn't since it didn't even seem like it synced). I tried remoing the iSync files from Library/Preferences, but not sure if there's something else I should try. Any thoughts?

Also, did some searching about iSync and Palm stuff on this forum. Seems there are issues with the categories on the Palm not matching with the categories in Addressbook and in iCal. What's the deal with this? Is there an issue with the compatibility between these apps and Palm? I found many threads talking about it not working, but no reason as to why it can't be done (or maybe there was and I just missed it).

If it's a quick answer, please post a reply or a link to a thread I may have missed when searching (or even if it's not a quick answer too )

There's never enough when you have too little

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by goose
I have an iSync issue when trying to sync to a Treo 650. I open up iSync and click on the sync button, it shows the status bar and then says staring up and then it stops right there. My udpates to iCal don't show up in the Treo (was thinking it wouldn't since it didn't even seem like it synced). I tried remoing the iSync files from Library/Preferences, but not sure if there's something else I should try. Any thoughts?
Can you sync with palm desktop, this is a requirement. Then you need to have the palm plugin for iSync and cconfigure it (read the manual of iSync it's explained in there).

Yes you will have issues with caategories.

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ludovic Hirlimann
Can you sync with palm desktop, this is a requirement. Then you need to have the palm plugin for iSync and cconfigure it (read the manual of iSync it's explained in there).

Yes you will have issues with caategories.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was able to sync up with the palm desktop software and hotsync. I followed the steps to disabling the palm desktop sync and changing it to isync and configuring the isync palm conduit, but doesn't seem to work.

Was looking to try MissingSync for Palm, but I'm reading mixed reviews. Some people love it and have had no issues, other people say it crashes, doesn't sync, etc.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by goose
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I was able to sync up with the palm desktop software and hotsync. I followed the steps to disabling the palm desktop sync and changing it to isync and configuring the isync palm conduit, but doesn't seem to work.

Was looking to try MissingSync for Palm, but I'm reading mixed reviews. Some people love it and have had no issues, other people say it crashes, doesn't sync, etc.
Do you see a palm icon in iSync ? If not you should retry to install the palm conduit for iSync and redo your step. Googling oin te subject might also help (instlling the conduitis waht you need to google for).

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ludovic Hirlimann
Do you see a palm icon in iSync ? If not you should retry to install the palm conduit for iSync and redo your step. Googling oin te subject might also help (instlling the conduitis waht you need to google for).
Yeah, the Palm device showed up next to the .Mac icon. It'll sync up (shows status bar and everything) if I initiate it from my Treo. Oh well.

I ended up just sucking it up and bought the MissingSync for Palm. Yeah, read mixed reviews on it, but the demo worked and liked that it could map the groups to categories (now my wish is that Palm's contact app could support entries with multiple categories). The demo worked, so I paid for it.

Apple should put something together like MissingSync where you don't even need to install the Palm Desktop to get it working. At least where iSync could at least map Address Book groups to Palm contacts (same for events and tasks)...

Anyways, thanks for the responses. It is much appreciated!

Forum Links
Forum Rules