Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Powermac will probably be called Mac Pro

New Powermac will probably be called Mac Pro
Dr.Michael
May 24, 2006, 12:38 PM

Apple files U.S. trademark for Mac Pro:
http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...k_for_mac_pro/

Appearently we all go pro now. What have we been before? Toy users?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 24, 2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Yes.

/thread

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 04:03 AM

Sux

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dr.Michael  (op)
May 25, 2006, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Sux
What sucks? The name? Eugs reply ? My Post?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2006, 08:09 AM

From what I've seen Big Mac opposes any topic that puts together Mac and Intel and omits PPC.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:24 AM

It's just a name... I didn't think "power" was such a hot name years back, but it's grown on me to the point where I hate the new name... so in 5+ years, I'll probably like it.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 10:12 AM

I think Mac Pro was a pretty damn obvious name. I like it though.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2006, 11:53 AM

I kind of liked the sound of "Tower-Mac" from a different thread on this forum.....

Macola
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
I kind of liked the sound of "Tower-Mac" from a different thread on this forum.....
Actually, MacTower would be more consistent...then we could have a consumer line (MacTower) and professional line (MacTower Pro) like the MacBook and MacBook Pro...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

KEL9000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 12:48 PM

"Mac Finally Got a Roadmap And Consistent Speed Increases", "Mac No More MHz Myth Propoganda", "Mac Ever Tried Installing Drivers In Linux?", "Mac We Don't Monitor Your Every Click And Upload Your Information", "Mac Our OS Doesn't Perform Illegal Operations", "Mac Now It All Comes Down To Software, Bring IT!"
I am now going to tell the computer what he can do with a life-times supply of chocolate.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 26, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Sux
LET... IT... GO!!!

tooki

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 26, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Macola
Actually, MacTower would be more consistent...then we could have a consumer line (MacTower) and professional line (MacTower Pro) like the MacBook and MacBook Pro...
McTower™
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 26, 2006 at 11:02 AM. )

quangdiggity
May 26, 2006, 11:45 AM

yes..... u hit the spot there

wouldnt it be nice to have a "base" tower???
with slightly more power than the iMac, but not as great as the quad-----
it would be ideal- yet many wouldnt like it since it's big- i'd rly like a tower though, but outta my budget at the moment

ÜberMac and ÜberMac Pro sounds kewl too

Macola
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
McTower™

Now, if only you can get the Apple "leaf" to face right, I'll buy one...with a side of fries...

I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

voo
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 08:51 PM

I wonder if they are going to overhaul the case design...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2006, 03:15 AM

I'm pretty sure they will. Although the current case looks nice, it's inefficient: very big but still not many internal expansion bays (w/o third party extension kits).

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Power users?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:33 PM

The new Mac towers will be called "Royale With Cheese."

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gio-mania
yes..... u hit the spot there

wouldnt it be nice to have a "base" tower???
with slightly more power than the iMac, but not as great as the quad-----
it would be ideal- yet many wouldnt like it since it's big- i'd rly like a tower though, but outta my budget at the moment

ÜberMac and ÜberMac Pro sounds kewl too
meh, fsck it I say. Now that macs are nothing more than overpriced PCs in pretty cases, I decided to sell my PM G5 and put together my own system.

$1300 got me this here box:
Dual-core Pentium D 3.2GHz
Intel 975X chipset
2GB DDR2 667MHz
2-250GB SATA HDs
Dual layer DVD burninator (OEM cost me $37)
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Floppy drive
running SUSE 10.1, baby (Software development on Linux is what I do, so using Linux as my main desktop OS is cool with me)

The last mac in the house is my PM G3 B&W, which I'll probably keep around since it wouldn't sell for much, and it's still fast enough to be useful for something.

Steve Jobs and his ego have sodomized me for the last time! Go to hell A$$wipe!!!!
It was bad enough he decided to fsck all of the third party developers (not to mention cash strapped consumers that shelled out $$ for dual G5 boxes) by switching architectures, but what really got me was the deliberate Microsoftonian platform-lock-in scheme (MAC OS X intel only boots on macs) to force people to buy his overpriced anal-seepage (Honestly, what's the fundamental difference between a mactel and a PC, EFI + TPM, pffft).

</drunk>
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2006, 01:54 AM

Dude were you using your mac solely cause it had a PPC? Cause some of us actually like getting our work done faster and not having to wait for bars to finish crossing the screen. As well who says the next Macs are going to be "over priced" my guess is they'll still be a couple hundred more but the margins probably won't be near as high as the PPC ones were, they honestly can't afford to charge that much for them. I kinda hope the monitor prices come down too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 01:58 AM

This disturbing pyschological mooring to PPC is strong. Just let it go, Salty. It's not about the OS; it's the idea that the processor's name actually meant something—performance be damned.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
meh, fsck it I say. Now that macs are nothing more than overpriced PCs in pretty cases, I decided to sell my PM G5 and put together my own system.

$1300 got me this here box:
Dual-core Pentium D 3.2GHz
Intel 975X chipset
2GB DDR2 667MHz
2-250GB SATA HDs
Dual layer DVD burninator (OEM cost me $37)
Geforce 7600GT 256MB
Floppy drive
running SUSE 10.1, baby (Software development on Linux is what I do, so using Linux as my main desktop OS is cool with me)

The last mac in the house is my PM G3 B&W, which I'll probably keep around since it wouldn't sell for much, and it's still fast enough to be useful for something.

Steve Jobs and his ego have sodomized me for the last time! Go to hell A$$wipe!!!!
It was bad enough he decided to fsck all of the third party developers (not to mention cash strapped consumers that shelled out $$ for dual G5 boxes) by switching architectures, but what really got me was the deliberate Microsoftonian platform-lock-in scheme (MAC OS X intel only boots on macs) to force people to buy his overpriced anal-seepage (Honestly, what's the fundamental difference between a mactel and a PC, EFI + TPM, pffft).

</drunk>

I sold my Dual 2.5GHz G5 as well and threw together the following system;

Pentium D 930 running at 3.93GHz, dual-core.
2GBs of DDR2 667 (PQI Turbo).
An Abit AW8-MAX motherboard with all the bells and whistles.
ATi Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCIe.
Antec case w/ 380w PSU.
NEC DVD burner.
Two 320GB S-ATA hard drives.

Total cost was under $900.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 12:31 PM

C'mon guys. This whole "Apple sucks because it's now Intel" is moronic. And you of all people should understand that even in the G4 days, comparing a similar-in-all-possible-ways PC to a Mac showed little price difference. (*cough* build quality *cough*)

tooki

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 12:44 PM

I take it you are joking.....

How does the fact that, as you say "macs are nothing more than overpriced PCs" (which is a moronic statement that I obviously do not adhear to) stop your PM G5 being what it was when you bought it??
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 8, 2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
I take it you are joking.....

How does the fact that, as you say "macs are nothing more than overpriced PCs" (which is a moronic statement that I obviously do not adhear to) stop your PM G5 being what it was when you bought it??
He's a lunatic. He keeps talking about "file system checks"..."file system check it"..."file system check all third party developers"...does this make any sense to you? Not me.

P
Jun 8, 2006, 01:23 PM

Who builds a PC now, with Conroe a month away? Even if you're pissed at Apple, wait for that. Intel says that Conroe should be 40% faster at the same price compared to the Pentium D. That's worth a month in my book. OF course, Intel is probably be exaggerating a bit, but still...

kleinemans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 02:09 PM

I don't see any reason for Apple to remodel the current tower. They didn't redesign the iMac or Mini.

Unless of course you can also use it as a fish tank. That would be cool.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by P
Who builds a PC now, with Conroe a month away? Even if you're pissed at Apple, wait for that. Intel says that Conroe should be 40% faster at the same price compared to the Pentium D. That's worth a month in my book. OF course, Intel is probably be exaggerating a bit, but still...
Because the Pentium 4 based chips are on blow-out, priced well below what the Conroe based chips (of equal power) will debut at, and have a significant clock speed advantage that makes up for much of the added efficiency that Conroe offers.

There's very few reasons to not like the NetBurst/Pentium offerings right now. They're final generation tech, pumped with L2 cache, manufactured at 65nm so they're very cool running and they have a sickening amount of overclock headroom. And, of course, they're priced well below their performance worth.

I'm no fan of NetBurst, but I am a fan of paying $190 with shipping for a dual-core chip with 4MBs of L2 that overclocks to 4GHz with stock voltage and stock cooling.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

thevideojunkie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 04:13 PM

The design of the current tower, while quite handsome in my view since I have one, is engineered almost completely around the cooling requirements of the G5 processors. I don't know if the Intel chips will require less or different cooling, but it seems if they do then the tower Mac design should be revised to at least offer more drive bays.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jun 8, 2006, 04:49 PM

i think it's gonna be pretty amazing

indigoimac
Senior User
Jun 8, 2006, 04:55 PM

Is anyone willing to guess that there will be a cheap low-end and a more pricey pro version, this would be really nice, a dual core w/ real gfx for like 900-1000 and then the high-end satrting at 2000
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Because the Pentium 4 based chips are on blow-out, priced well below what the Conroe based chips (of equal power) will debut at, and have a significant clock speed advantage that makes up for much of the added efficiency that Conroe offers.

There's very few reasons to not like the NetBurst/Pentium offerings right now. They're final generation tech, pumped with L2 cache, manufactured at 65nm so they're very cool running and they have a sickening amount of overclock headroom. And, of course, they're priced well below their performance worth.

I'm no fan of NetBurst, but I am a fan of paying $190 with shipping for a dual-core chip with 4MBs of L2 that overclocks to 4GHz with stock voltage and stock cooling.

He said it. The ridiculously low pricing is also why I chose the Pentium D 940 over the Athlon 64x2. With the money I didn't spend on the processor I was able to bump up the RAM and GPU a bit

Laterlus -- I haven't tried overclocking my 940 yet, did you use the stock HSF to get that 900Mhz (!) overclock?
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2006, 07:57 PM

He said it. The ridiculously low pricing is also why I chose the Pentium D 940 over the Athlon 64x2. With the money I didn't spend on the processor I was able to bump up the RAM and GPU a bit

Laterlus -- I haven't tried overclocking my 940 yet, did you use the stock HSF to get that 900Mhz (!) overclock?
Yepp, stock HSF. It really is an excellent unit. And with the lower temperatures these 65nm units run at with stock speeds, it's overkill.

All I did do was up the voltage from 1.25v to 1.35v, which really wasn't even necessary.

I got a good overclock with pretty much zero effort. But it isn't the best by any means. There's more than a few people out there running 930s at 4.5GHz or more with some tweaking and cooling enhancements. I'm not going to bother since I'm already more than happy with the overclock I've gotten for my money.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

silkk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 04:50 PM

"Mac Pro"; I think I called this on another forum a month ago. It does seem to be the natural progression for the line. I think dropping the Power out of Mac is long overdue.

24klogos
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 10:58 PM

MacPro... it starts making a lot of sense when you have to remove the word "Power" from your machines...
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

toffe
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 12:18 AM

didn't steve say, when he introduced the mac book pro, that the name changed because they wanted the word "mac" in it, not that they wanted to get rid of the word "power"

24klogos
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by toffe
didn't steve say, when he introduced the mac book pro, that the name changed because they wanted the word "mac" in it, not that they wanted to get rid of the word "power"
no, i believe he said a couple times they are removing the word power from the machines because they are no longer powerful.

I mean, hello?
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2006, 09:46 PM

ehh.. That doesn't rool off the tongue. MacPro and MacBook Pro are just easy to say.

[EDIT: Quoted wrong thing]
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules