Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm soon to buy a new MacBook

I'm soon to buy a new MacBook
KateFab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 02:10 PM

After reading up on the pros and cons, I'm still convinced that I should purchase for my senior year in design school, a brand new MacBook (black, or course.) While it'll be quite a departure from the ancient G3 iBook that I currently attempt to work on, I'm still a little hesitant. Is there anyone out there who has had major issues or would otherwise advise me (or anyone else for that matter) not to buy one? Also, I know that the new machines still run fairly hot, and that programs like CoreDuoTemp can help to monitor this. Are there any other applications that people have found to be partiularly useful?

Thanks!

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 03:08 PM

go ahead and make the plunge. i would recommend this computer to anyone without hesitation. sure it's not perfect and there are potentials for problems, as with any other complicated electronic equipment, but it's a well-designed, good-looking computer.

the heat has really been addressed with the newest firmware update. my computer is running about 10degC cooler since it's been installed, with no real downsides.

the main problems that people have encountered have been plastic discoloration, heat, and random shutdowns. you're getting black, so no worries about discoloration. heat has been addressed. some peoples' mackbooks have been randomly shutting down. i don't think this is common, and if it happens, apple will certainly take care of the problem.

if i were you, i would buy from an apple store. sure, you can save a few bucks getting it online, but i really think it's worth it, to be able to take it back to the original store you got it from to service, etc etc.

good luck, and congrats!

KateFab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks so much! That definitely helps make the decision much easier.

monkeybutler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by KateFab
Is there anyone out there who has had major issues or would otherwise advise me (or anyone else for that matter) not to buy one?
One thing to keep in mind is that "extreme heat" is relative. As a PC user on his way to switching, ive noticed that mac owners are bigger salesmen than anyone out there. Their claims that the heat issue is gone/reduced isnt necessarily true. Sure, it went down 10degrees from the new update but its still running twice as hot as my old centrino pc. So if you're not comfortable with laying a heated fryingpan on your lap then you may want to be cautious as to what people say about the heat.

Also, a new chip is less than a month away. The chip isnt necessarily what you need, but a revisionB unit is what you should look out for. Apple may keep the same MB chips but take the oppurtunity to fix the problems the revisionA macbooks have been giving users.

KateFab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 10:29 AM

Interesting..

I also read that there have been issues regarding too much/poorly applied thermal compound with MacBook Pro's.. maybe the same is true of the MacBooks?

Just the thought of having to dismantle a brand new machine to find out makes me shudder! I've never attempted to perform such a feat, but hey- maybe I can practice on my nearly obsolete iBook?
Ha!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 24, 2006, 08:17 AM

If you have no use for the iBook, i'd consider selling it.

BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 08:27 AM

"One thing to keep in mind is that "extreme heat" is relative."

Extreme heat is indeed relative. As a fellow PC switcher, my BlackBook doesn't run as hot as my (admittedly very old) Athlon Compaq laptop. I love my MacBook, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

KateFab  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 09:27 AM

Do you think someone would actually buy my four-year-old iBook G3?

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2006, 09:05 PM

I dont know about that question but i say make the plunge too. I have read soooo many things about them good and bad i just ordered it and should be here soon and i know i will be happy with it. You probobly will be too.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2006, 06:45 AM

Yes, someone will buy it. I sold my iBook G3 on eBay a couple of months ago for £250

ChrisDaMacMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 05:07 PM

Buy Buy Buy my Friend, recommend it to anyone. I am a switcher of 3 weeks with a week 30 MacBook no such problems with discolouration etc. Hell it does run hot when you put a high demand on the MacBook but the new firmware made it a cosy warm. It may run slightly hotter then my old PC laptop but this thing is whisper quiet and i would trade that for cooler and much noicer PCs.

I love my new MacBook!!!! Could never feel comfortable using windows again!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules