Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9 Sucking Up Too Much Memory And Log-in Errors?

Mac OS 9 Sucking Up Too Much Memory And Log-in Errors?
iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2000, 11:59 AM

I have a Rev. B iMac with 96MB. Now... OS 9 is taking up about 45.2MB with VM turned off. And with it on it takes up about 23-25MB. Is it supposed to be this high? Also, when I'm working in the Finder, it just quits and for some reason I get an error message saying "The application 'Log-in' has unexpectedly quit." What does this happen for?

-iPond317
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

manymacs
Mar 3, 2000, 11:00 AM

I have a G4-400 with 256 meg of Ram. I get the "Login Unexpectedly Quit" as well. When I double-click a file that does not seem to be associated with an application, the finder freezes, yet I can quit out of all apps and the Finder restarts, with Login unexpectedly quitting again. No application will open until I force restart the machine - if I try to restart from the Special menu, the "Login unexpectedly quit" dialog comes up, stays up, and the hard drive makes some really unhealthy noise. I've eliminated an extension conflict - I've used OS9 base in my tests. I am going to try a clean system reinstall to see if that fixes it.

------------------
--
Dave Gammage, MCSE
Network Administrator
Stouse, Inc.

Ron G
Mar 3, 2000, 11:28 AM

I've seen the Login unexpectedly quit error in a number of circumstances. When I've seen it, it's almost always related to an extension conflict. I've seen extensions from both CharisMac and Keyspan cause these errors. I'd recommend doing an extension conflict check.

It's normal for the OS to take up much less memory when VM is turned ON. This also applies to most applications.

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2000, 02:19 PM

the "login unexpectedly quit" message may be coming from the MultiUser Extension which the Finder might be trying to run when it relaunches after a crash....

if you don't use the multiple users feature of the OS you can safely disable any related extensions.

skabaru
Mar 3, 2000, 11:09 PM

The log-in error is directly related to multiple users being turned on. I have had the same issue... on both a powerbook g3 and an 8500... my issues all began with CUSeeMe...

try turning off all multi-user things, both extensions and control panels (I'd say turn off the control panels, then make sure that all the extensions were removed)

With multi off, I haven't seen the problem again.

bryanb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2000, 12:22 PM

I will agree that this error is due tothe Multiple Logins feature. I get it often, but only when I force quit the finder from MacsBug, usually.

Turning VM on, and disableing unused extensions ans Control Panels, has me with a System Heap of a round 16MB to start out with.

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2000, 12:39 PM

I need to use the Multiple Users feature because I share my iMac with other people in the house. Also, I have a little brother, who at any chance would love to screw up my computer. What should I do other than disabling it?

-iPond317
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Bball672
Apr 3, 2000, 02:15 PM

I also need Multiple Users on my computer. What should I do without disableing it?

jeralamo
Apr 4, 2000, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
I have a Rev. B iMac with 96MB. Now... OS 9 is taking up about 45.2MB with VM turned off. And with it on it takes up about 23-25MB. Is it supposed to be this high? Also, when I'm working in the Finder, it just quits and for some reason I get an error message saying "The application 'Log-in' has unexpectedly quit." What does this happen for?

My Rev. D iMac with 96MB used about 25-27 MB for system software with 9.0 also. From what I've read that's about normal. But wait until you upgrade to 9.0.4 - it jumps up to from 35-37MB.

-iPond317

Forum Links
Forum Rules