Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac vs. Used G5

New iMac vs. Used G5
o0LiquidDark0o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 02:46 PM

Hello, guys. I'm glad to have become a member here and I am hoping that some of you might help me out with a decision that I have to make.

As a student of video production, I've been working on Macs for the past 4 years. Now that I'm nearing the end of my college education I've been presented with some great opportunities to do freelance production work. So, it's time for me to finally buy a Mac. I'm really considering three options here:

- Used 1.6ghz - 1.8ghz PowerMac G5.
- $600-$800

- New 17-inch 2.0ghz iMac. 1GB RAM. 160GB hard drive. DVD-RW.

- $1,099 + $110 (2GB RAM) = $1,209

*iMac price is with student discount.
I would upgrade the machine to 2GB of RAM regardless of which I choose. I like the idea of getting the used G5 because:
- I can save quite a bit of money.
- I already have 2GB of spare RAM (PC-2700).
- I can install my spare hard drive in it.
- I already have two spare monitors for my dual-monitor setup.
- I have a spare AGP graphics card.

So, what do you guys think? Please keep in mind that I am on a fairly limited budget so cost is important to me. Performance-wise, how will the two computers compare? Also, is there any expansion bays in the iMac to add another hard drive? Thanks, guys. I appreciate your help very much!

o0LiquidDark0o  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 03:29 PM

Let me throw this option in there as well:

- Refurbished 1.83ghz Mini Mac. 512mb RAM. 80GB hard drive. DVD-RW.
- $699 + $110 (2GB RAM) + $150 (23" monitor) = $959

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 03:38 PM

My guess is that the G5 will fulfill your needs better in the short-term - have you not considered a higher spec dual G5?

Obviously the iMac uses up-to-date architecture, which makes it a very tough call. How long do you intend to own this Mac for?

To be honest it sounds as if you're leaning toward the G5, the fourth option would be to save for a Mac Pro?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 03:39 PM

- Refurbished 1.83ghz Mini Mac. 512mb RAM. 80GB hard drive. DVD-RW.
A Mac Mini for video production? Yikes.

o0LiquidDark0o  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 03:40 PM

I have considered a higher spec G5. The only thing I don't like about that is if I recall correctly, they do not take the PC-2700 RAM that I have left over. However, I'd be willing to spend an extra couple hundred for one.

I plan to own the Mac for some time. The thing is I use a PC for my daily computing and plan to keep it that way. The Mac would really be a secondary computer and one that's only used for editing (which may not be all too often). I've been lucky enough to get some freelance projects where I'm making money but who knows if that will keep up or not. If it doesn't, the Mac would barely get used.

And you're right, I really am leaning towards the G5. I guess I'm just waiting for someone to say "The G5 is definitely the right answer."

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
A Mac Mini for video production? Yikes.
i dont get this response...does the macmini not have the same guts (sans gpu) as the first macbook pros?...

a lot can be done with a mini, i dont own one...but im certain they are as fast, if not faster than the g5imac on almost everything that is cpu based and not gpu based.

dual 2.0 vs single 1.6-1.8

and im one to say the G5 is definitely the WRONG answer, hows about a used core duo imac? i bought my 1st gen brand new from amazone for 1150...im sure those are at about 900 now.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 01:13 PM

If your intent is to do pro graphics "video production" "I plan to own the Mac for some time" any consumer box is a mistake. An iMac will be very limiting (e.g. RAM, hard drives, graphics) over the 2008-2009-2010 life cycle of a new box with the apps and OSs of 2008-2009-2010.

You are about to purchase the "tools of your trade." Buy a Mac Pro, even if the low end. You will want to add 2x2GB third party RAM to Apple's lame 1 GB. If you absolutely cannot put the money together for a Mac Pro today you should go for a high end DP G5 tower (not a 1.8 GHz single processor box) but figure on moving to a Mac Pro in a year or so.

An iMac can use external hard drives via Firewire, but only the top iMac has FW800. FW400 and USB 2 are poor choices for hard drive connection.

Note that most pros use two displays, so that consideration should also be in your future.

I repeat: buy a Mac Pro.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jul 5, 2007 at 01:36 PM. )

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 05:06 PM

My 2ยข:

A mac pro will run you about $2500 with ram, and then you'll have to buy a monitor too.

DO NOT get a single processor G5. They're terrible.

Get a refurbished Macbook C2D Superdrive for $999, upgrade the ram to 2 gigs and buy a large external firewire hard drive. That will be about as fast in Final Cut as a Dual 2.3 GHz G5 tower, and mobile if you need it.

Also buy an external monitor and keyboard to use with it. All that would run about 1500.

A dual G5 under $1,000 would be good as well. Good luck.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2007, 05:11 PM

A comment on the mac mini option:

Stay away from it. The 1.83 Ghz Core Duo is much slower than a 2GHz Core 2 Duo based machine. The 17" iMac C2D is around $1050 refurbished from Apple. That would be a good option too. Again, good luck.
iPad Mini A7 32GB

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2007, 07:02 PM

If you plan on doing professional efficient work the only long term option is a Mac Pro. I'd get the cheapest dual G5 you can and start saving for a Mac Pro to replace it in a year or two.

o0LiquidDark0o  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 12:16 AM

Hi guys. So I made a decision and made a purchase. I got to thinking: "This computer is really only going to be used for editing the freelance productions that I get. They may not last, who knows? Even if they do, the computer will still get a fairly small amount of usage. I've been leaning towards the Power Macs the entire time so I'm just going to go with one."

I searched around on eBay. Found a dual G4 that I liked, bid at the last second (), and came up with a pretty good computer at a pretty good price. Link. Let me know what you guys think. I personally feel that I got a pretty awesome deal.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2007, 02:54 AM

Excellent price! A dual 1.25 G4 can do video editing well, and if you ever get more serious you can upgrade down the line. You might want your own 10.4 discs, though.
iPad Mini A7 32GB

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2007, 02:06 PM

saying that a core2duo is 'MUCH FASTER' than a core duo is ridiculous. its faster no question, but not much faster.

much faster is like comparing a single core 1.5core duo vs a dual core 2.33core2duo...now THAT'S much faster.
( Last edited by iREZ; Jul 6, 2007 at 02:36 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 05:00 PM

I think you made a very sound decision. You should install 10.4.10 as your OS.

-Allen Wicks

billmboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 05:33 PM

What software do you plan to use? iMovie & iDVD or Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio? The pro software requirements are fairly high. I have a G5 dual 2gig that works great for all of the afor mentioned software but Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro need as fast a prossesor as possible and works best with atleast 4 gig of ram. If you plan to do video you WILL need a lot of storage. I have 2.5 terabite of storage and my work is backed up. I also have a Mac Book Pro 2.33 Core Two Duo with 3 gig of ram and it very fast. I would recommend something with dual prossessors and if at all possible, Intel. Get and Intel based Mac and ditch the PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules