Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OS X question

OS X question
Metal
Oct 17, 2000, 09:13 PM

Is it better to buy a dual processor g4 now with os9, or is it better to wait when OSX is pre installed on the dual g4? Or does it matter? Im only asking this because when i upgraded to os9 from 8.5, I had some problems with my computer, and I dont want it to happen again.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2000, 11:28 PM

Transferring to G-4 forum.

Phaedrus
Oct 18, 2000, 01:54 AM

I would wait. If you buy now, then you might get shafted when (if?) Apple speed-bumps the power macs prior to the OSX V1.0 release. If you wait until OSX is finally ready, I bet good money that the powermac G4 gets at least a 50MHz speed bump, and probably other improvements, too.

I'm hoping that the whole powermac line gets bumped to dual processor, so for 1599 you can get a dualie . Seems like it would be a nice product matrix, to have all the powermacs dual processor and all the cubes single processor...

------------------

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2000, 12:17 PM

I would buy it now. As far as waiting for revved G4's... I wouldn't hold my breath. You could always wait for revved G4's. It's not like the dual processor models have been around long. G4's aren't due for an update for awhile yet.

As for buying your machine with OS X preinstalled... are you running OS X now? Are you following the forums and news on OS X beta? If you have any investment in your current software, and you're not ready to dish out money to buy new versions when they finally become available, then wait on OS X. It will be awhile before OS X is really polished, and remember that almost none of your current applications will run on the new OS. Unless you like running Classic (ugh!)

PDX_Racer
Oct 18, 2000, 01:39 PM

Get it now. There is *a lot* of stuff even in Mac OS 9 that supports multiple processors. Mac OS X should only make it better.

CharlesS
Oct 18, 2000, 02:22 PM

Hmm, what if the next version of the G4 requires OS X to boot and won't run OS9?

You wouldn't be able to dual boot if you needed to (would be nice with some old apps).

Of course, if that happened, you could probably get what is current now at a cheaper price than it costs now...

A dual-processor machine is a good idea, though, so Classic doesn't slow you down as much (it will only use one of your processors, leaving the other one free).

I'mDaMac
Oct 18, 2000, 02:49 PM

If you can afford to wait until early next year to buy a new computer, then wait (that is, if you don't have any lucrative projects pending). With UMA-2 on the horizon and its slew of upgrades and enhancements, it would be worthwhile to wait. I'm personally not buying a new Mac until they revise the existing line with new cases and innards (UMA-2). I'm waiting for a speed bump as well. The PowerMac line has been stuck at 500MHZ for about a year now and this current chip architecture has obviously hit its limits; hopefully the G4e is just about ready and can improve on the speed limitations of the G4 line of processors. The pro product line is long overdue for new case designs and motherboard revisions and with Steve Jobs at the helm the possibilites are limitless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules