Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Charlton Heston Dies at 84

Charlton Heston Dies at 84 (Page 3)
Apemanblues
Apr 10, 2008, 09:34 AM

Whose anti-gun?

I think that people should probably go back to talking about the dead actor guy with the cold dead dirty apes and whatnot.
( Last edited by Apemanblues; Apr 10, 2008 at 09:51 AM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Now you're reaching. This is the typical anti-gun argument.
Reaching? Obviously liberties should only extend to your own interests, no?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 07:15 AM

There's lots of pro gun people in the United States. Not just me. See, I'm smart enough to not deify an inanimate object, because I'm smart enough to know that a gun won't get up and kill you. I've had three in the past. I also know about gun safety. I don't need publicly elected officials to tell me what's safe and what is not.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 08:08 AM

I don't need publicly elected officials to tell me what's safe and what is not.
Eliminate the FDA?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 14, 2008, 08:38 AM

I don't need bureaucrats telling me that I'm not smart enough to learn and follow very simple safety rules. And I don't need 'em saying that they're smarter than the Founding Fathers. I spent a lot of time "supporting and defending" ALL of the Constitution, offering up the possibility of losing my life in the process, and these blatherheads want to tell me that some parts of that Document are not "safe" because idiots don't bother to follow the above mentioned safety rules-or more to the point, criminals don't bother with laws against what they want to do. Indeed, it's not the guns, "it's the criminals, stupid." Gun control laws instituted after John Kennedy's assassination didn't keep Sirhan Sirhan from shooting Bobby, they actually made it LESS safe to live in DC, and all they actually do is restrict what law-abiding citizens do.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Eliminate the FDA?

That's a good idea. Honestly.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2008, 09:41 AM

Here's something I've noticed lately. Not just lately, you know, but forever. I've heard numerous stories of people drinking and driving, getting hammered and then hitting another car, sometimes killing people, sometimes not. Everyone, and I mean everyone, blames the drunk bastard for this. They never blame the car or the alcohol.

Now when someone uses a gun to commit a crime or something, everyone, and I mean everyone, blames the gun. Have you noticed this? Why is this?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 09:49 AM

Here's something I've noticed lately. Not just lately, you know, but forever. I've heard numerous stories of people drinking and driving, getting hammered and then hitting another car, sometimes killing people, sometimes not. Everyone, and I mean everyone, blames the drunk bastard for this. They never blame the car or the alcohol.

Now when someone uses a gun to commit a crime or something, everyone, and I mean everyone, blames the gun. Have you noticed this? Why is this?
The situations are not really cognate. A car is a method of transportation that is nigh essential in everyday life, while a gun is simply a method of killing. Cars usually are given credit for our transportation and guns are usually given credit for killing because that's what they do. When a car is designed in an unsafe way that makes it especially likely to kill, the car is blamed for that.

And as for alcohol, they actually have tried to prohibit that. It was a bit before your time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 14, 2008, 05:27 PM

There's no Constitutional right to drive. There's no Constitutional right to own a hammer or axe. On the other hand, those "this car is safe" rulings all assume that the car will be used in the manner it's intended. A sporting firearm (which really includes every firearm sold to the civilian population), used in the manner it is intended will NEVER hurt a human being. It may kill a deer or some ducks, and will probably perforate a huge amount of paper, but the USE is the key here. As ctt1wbw states, no inanimate object ever jumped up and did something by itself. It takes a human being USING that object to cause problems. That's no different when you're talking about a car or a target pistol.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 07:58 PM

as I have posted before, the areas with a large Central American populations have seen a huge increase in machete killings. Why no call to ban them?
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules