Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guillermo del Toro's going to direct The Hobbit

Guillermo del Toro's going to direct The Hobbit
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2008, 11:31 AM

It's official: Guillermo del Toro to direct 'The Hobbit' and sequel - Los Angeles Times

I think most people already know about my distaste for Peter jackson. He's like George Lucas when it comes to directing... he shouldn't. As a producer, I don't know. We'll see. del Toro is one of my favorite directors/producers. If he can put together The Hobbit as well as he did Pan's Labyrinth, we're in for a treat.

Best of all, no more god damn Elijah Wood and the broken-record-style "epic music, turn to the screen and cry" directing of Peter Jackson.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cold Warrior
Apr 25, 2008, 12:40 PM

I wonder what story they're going to develop for the years between The Hobbit and LoTR.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2008, 12:57 PM

Well, with a magic ring, I would imagine that Bilbo spends quite some time scoring hobbit tail.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 12:59 PM

For some reason I read the title as Benicio del Toro and was very very confused.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 12:59 PM

Guillermo del Toro is one of my absolute favorite directors and I am so pleased to see him entrusted with the Hobbit.

Looking at the photo of Jackson and del Toro, which I assume is recent, it looks like Jackson has lost a lot of weight! He used to be really pudgy.

He looks better a bit fat, but it's an easier life being less weighty.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I think most people already know about my distaste for Peter jackson. He's like George Lucas when it comes to directing..
So what's wrong with Lucas as a director?

AFAIK he only directed the first star wars movie and not too much since then except for the star wars I, II and III. Personally I like episode I and really like episode III.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 02:40 PM

Episode III was so bad...

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 02:47 PM

IV, V and VI were great, but I and II... I (the letter) have suddenly lost the taste for Roman numerals...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I wonder what story they're going to develop for the years between The Hobbit and LoTR.
Is there even that much in the way of Tolkien's writings in between? When I first heard there were going to be two parts, I suspected they might go more into pre-"The Hobbit" years, maybe even going into the Silmarillion a tiny bit, or the first battle when Sauron was defeated. I just don't see how they can squeeze that much out of the period between the Hobbit and the LOTR, unless they just out-right make up a lot of sh1t.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Is there even that much in the way of Tolkien's writings in between? When I first heard there were going to be two parts, I suspected they might go more into pre-"The Hobbit" years, maybe even going into the Silmarillion a tiny bit, or the first battle when Sauron was defeated. I just don't see how they can squeeze that much out of the period between the Hobbit and the LOTR, unless they just out-right make up a lot of sh1t.
I don't think they are going to tell any story not told in the book 'the Hobbit'. They're just going to make it into two movies.

Lord of the Rings was just one book by Tolkien, but three movies. The Professor never intended to make it a trilogy of any sorts, that's just how it was published.

The Hobbit could either be one very very long movie or two long-ish movies, which is the approach being taken.

Cold Warrior
Apr 25, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I don't think they are going to tell any story not told in the book 'the Hobbit'. They're just going to make it into two movies.

Lord of the Rings was just one book by Tolkien, but three movies. The Professor never intended to make it a trilogy of any sorts, that's just how it was published.

The Hobbit could either be one very very long movie or two long-ish movies, which is the approach being taken.
According to this Register article, the second is going to be an "original story" of some kind.
The first will be an adaptation of The Hobbit, the second an "original story" bridging the 60-year gap between Tolkien's first Middle Earth outing and the Lord of the Rings trilogy

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
According to this Register article, the second is going to be an "original story" of some kind.
The Register may well know something I do not, but here is what I do know:

Tolkien Enterprises is the company which owns the rights to the film adaptation of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, does not own the rights to any other work of Tolkien. This means they have to stick with what they have rights for. Those two books.

Tolkien Enterprises, though in no way connected to the Tolkien family, is renown for its policy of strict adherence to the books it has the rights to and to protect the mythology. This leads me to the conclusion that the story of the book 'the Hobbit' will be told in two movies.

The makers of these movies and the Lord of the Rings are also very committed to bring to the screen Tolkien's works, or their interpretation thereof. Not their own story or guesswork. Some things may change slightly when brought to the screen, but the story is the same.

There is no written story about what happens between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, because nothing really happens. Some short accounts of what is happening in preparation to the events told in Lord of the Rings, but no story to make a movie out of.

My prediction (and fortunately my predictions are never wrong) is that the story told in the book 'the Hobbit' will be split between two separate movie releases. I'm sure at the end of the second movie there will be an epilogue which bridges the Hobbit with the Lord of the Rings in a tasteful manner, but the second movie itself will not be centered around it in any way.

If you think the Hobbit is too short to make two movies, then let me assure you that is not the case. In fact, the Lord of the Rings ended up being more than ten hours (more in the extended cut) and yet tons of material wasn't included. Not even in the extended cut.

A short book like the Hobbit could be fully recounted in two rather long movies, no problem.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 05:42 PM

..and finally

Guillermo del Toro to direct 'The Hobbit' and sequel - Yahoo! News

This includes an editorial note of the news article:

Please note that this version DELETES INCORRECT reference to second movie spanning time between "Hobbit" and "Rings"; New Line now says movies are based on book only.
Ahem.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2008, 05:49 PM

OK, except that every single other source I've read, including interviews with the principals, suggests that "The Hobbit 2" is going to be in between the Hobbit and the LotR. It doesn't make any sense to me either, but that's what they're all saying.

[edit] OK, just saw the correction you linked to. You were right, and that's good news.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
OK, except that every single other source I've read, including interviews with the principals, suggests that "The Hobbit 2" is going to be in between the Hobbit and the LotR. It doesn't make any sense to me either, but that's what they're all saying.

[edit] OK, just saw the correction you linked to. You were right, and that's good news.
I agree, it is good news

To be fair, until there is a script and the movies have started production nothing has been set in stone and rampant speculations are going to run like wildfire on the internet. I've read an interview with del Toro where he claims the second film is supposed to be a 'bridge' movie of sorts, but the official word from the studio is that it will only be based on the book.

Creating a second picture 'inspired' by snippets of writing by Tolkien would just be like fanfiction and is very questionable legally. The Tolkien estate is even more protective of the intellectual property of the Professor than Tolkien Enterprises. The latter has the rights to the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and has already proven to be quite conservative in the interpretation of its intellectual property.

Changes to the mythology or fanfiction would fall within the domain of the Tolkien estate, which among other things holds the rights to the Silmarillion, and the estate has no desires to give any more film rights to anything else that the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.

A 'fanfic' second Hobbit film would cross the boundary of intellectual property and I seriously doubt New Line wants to enter that legal headache. The Tolkien estate would blow a collective fuse if a fanfic movie was made inspired by the works of Tolkien. Some artistic license is permissible, but not an entire movie.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2008, 09:02 PM

If he can put together The Hobbit as well as he did Pan's Labyrinth, we're in for a treat.
Seconded.

-t

Atomic Rooster
Apr 26, 2008, 12:58 AM

Guillermo del Toro...

Isn't that Spanish for Buffalo Bill?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Guillermo del Toro...

Isn't that Spanish for Buffalo Bill?
William of the Bull.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 02:18 AM

William of the Bull ≈ Buffalo Bill, so yes.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Apemanblues
Apr 29, 2008, 04:57 AM

Del Toro is great. I'm pleased.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 06:05 AM

Del Toro is great, but Jackson's good too. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want him to direct The Hobbit. I thought all three Rings movies were well worth my money.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
William of the Bull ≈ Buffalo Bill, so yes.
Languages are not your strong suit. In fact, what IS your strong suit anyway?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 09:07 AM

Languages are not your strong suit. In fact, what IS your strong suit anyway?
Huh? It's a fair analogy. William of the Bull is fairly similar to Buffalo Bill. Similar enough, at least, to make a joke about it. (Buffalo's being a lot like cows and therefore bulls, and Bill being short for William...)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 09:22 AM

Pay no attention to the man with a grudge…

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cold Warrior
May 31, 2010, 02:13 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2010, 03:21 PM

Everyone forgot about it anyway...

Brien
Professional Poster
May 31, 2010, 05:14 PM

Well, it may never happen at this rate. I mean, they've basically scrapped any more Bond films for the next couple years. Won't someone just buy MGM already?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2010, 06:38 PM

The owners of the franchise should pick up Tim Burton. He deserves a second chance to right all the wrong he did in Alice.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Personally I like episode I and really like episode III.
So it's safe to say your opinion on anything related to cinema is completely irrelevant.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2010, 08:45 AM

So it's safe to say your opinion on anything related to cinema is completely irrelevant.
badda bing !

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2010, 10:18 AM

Heh.

Actually, I happen to agree with him, though I liked II better than III. I also liked Jar-Jar Binks. But I hated what I saw of Pan’s Labyrinth and can’t remember seeing anything else by Guillermo del Toro, so I’m not too displeased that he’s not directing The Hobbit after all. Not that I ever knew that he was supposed to, anyway.

(You may discount my opinion from your cinematic considerations if you wish.)

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I also liked Jar-Jar Binks
Reported. This is like taking my childhood and stabbing it in the heart.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2010, 07:25 AM

I'm upset that something almost totally unrelated to the book or movie is getting in the way of making the movie. I really don't care that much if it's Guillermo or someone else (within reason, of course) directing, just so long as it gets made. And that doesn't look like it's happening.

Ian Holm and Ian McKellen aren't getting any younger, you know. While Holm may not be needed for much in the film, McKellen will be very important to it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 09:19 AM

But I hated what I saw of Pan’s Labyrinth
You're a terrible person.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're a terrible person.
Granted, I didn’t see much of it (and it was in the middle of the movie). But what little I saw didn’t make me want to see the rest.

Reported. This is like taking my childhood and stabbing it in the heart.
Your childhood? Wouldn’t that make you … I don’t know, 15 or something? And you signed up seven years ago? When you were eight?!

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2010, 09:51 AM

don't make me go to IMDB and see when Ep 2 was released.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 09:58 AM

But Jar-Jar was in Episode I, right? And that’s from around 2001 or so?

Edit: Actually no. 1999. So ‘childhood’ would be 11 years ago. Which would make Ω probably more like in his early twenties. Math fail for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 10:05 AM

You're on a roll today, Scandie.

Guess blue stars make people dumber.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 10:20 AM

^ Meanie.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 10:25 AM

I'm making up for lost time since I've been gone since Friday.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 10:27 AM

Whoa, Oisin is a mod now.
Congratulations!

Can we get a discount at Ikea now? I kid!
( Last edited by osiris; Jun 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 2, 2010, 10:38 AM

You're on a roll today, Scandie.

Guess blue stars make people dumber.
Reported!

I blocked out JarJar so I don't remember which movie he's in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 10:39 AM

Speaking of dumb people, we'll see how long I last trolling new mods.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 10:41 AM

Speaking of dumb people, we'll see how long I last trolling new mods.
We can make it a contest. But you are on your last Dakar.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 10:43 AM

I suppose there's always a chance for a Frankenstein Dakar (cobbled together from the other accounts), Jesus Dakar (resurrected), and Zombie Dakar.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2010, 10:45 AM

You can resurrect as Jesus Dakar.

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 12:21 PM

Actually, I happen to agree with him, though I liked II better than III. I also liked Jar-Jar Binks. But I hated what I saw of Pan’s Labyrinth and can’t remember seeing anything else by Guillermo del Toro, so I’m not too displeased that he’s not directing The Hobbit after all. Not that I ever knew that he was supposed to, anyway.
Sure, come out with this after you became moderator.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2010, 12:51 PM

The 'NN vetting process is lacking severely.

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2010, 05:58 PM

Sure, come out with this after you became moderator.
Timing is everything.

(Besides, I believe I’ve mentioned it before.)
( Last edited by Oisín; Jun 2, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: White text + bright blue link = not very subterfugal. :/)

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2010, 06:03 PM

A shame del Toro isn't going to make the Hobbit - it was a fine choice. I don't really understand why financing a sure thing is so hard. Even in these times.

If making the Hobbit costs x then it will most certainly deliver 2x in return. Bah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules