Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carrying a PB

Carrying a PB
Sponge
Jul 17, 2000, 09:25 AM

OK, here's another boneheaded question, but it's something that I wonder about almost every day.

When I put my PB into my bag, it's always vertical. Should it be carried with the clasp side down, or with the back down? Or should it be on it's side? I'm sure it *can* be carried in any way, but is there a way that puts the least amount of stress on fragile parts?

I wonder how other people carry theirs?

Anyway, just a thought...

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2000, 09:38 AM

When i put it in my *bag*, it goes in port-side down. Since the case is "streamlined", i would think putting all the weight on the front would stress the case out. When i put it in my *backpack*, it goes in "PC Card side down". So, when i have a spare hour, i can pull out my power adapter, open the backpack, and the power outlet is right there.

Taz
Jul 17, 2000, 10:11 PM

I use a Madsononline.com G3 powerbook bag for my pismo 500 and the 1/4 " foam around it makes it so that the pressure around the book is almost equal in every spot, therefore it wouldn't really matter how it was carried... but it also has a really tight, snug fit, so that might have something to do with it too....

just a thought...
Taz

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2000, 02:53 AM

I also have a case with 1/4" thick foam, really great. I can then just place it in wither port side up or down and away I go with no probs.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

HJS
Jul 20, 2000, 02:55 PM

So how do u like the madsonline powerbook bag? Is it worth the $100 price tag on a nylon bag? And also if you had to chose a bag all over again, would you still get the madsonline bag?

thanks

Originally posted by Taz:
I use a Madsononline.com G3 powerbook bag for my pismo 500 and the 1/4 " foam around it makes it so that the pressure around the book is almost equal in every spot, therefore it wouldn't really matter how it was carried... but it also has a really tight, snug fit, so that might have something to do with it too....

just a thought...
Taz

RB
Aug 2, 2000, 11:32 AM

Sponge-
Ive been really paranoid about the keys touching the screen problem that a lot of people have reported where the pressure of the keys on the screen could concieveably cause scuff marks and other permanent damage to the LCD. This could be more so if you carry the PB with a lot of other stuff that puts pressure on the top part of the case which 'gives' and presses against the keyboard.
With that in mind, I always carry my Pismo in my Apple Backpack (which used to house a 5300 and has a sling that the PB rides in) with the top of the case toward the back against a piece of foam like stuff, port side down. That way all the other junk I am carrying is up against the sturdier bottom of the case.
Like I said, I am paranoid...

blindspot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2000, 12:30 PM

taz,

i tried to look up Madsononline.com to look at the bag you refer to, but the server could not be found. i just wanted a visual on the bag.

is this the correct url?

thanks.

zita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2000, 02:23 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules