Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > CIRP: iPad mini range now accounting for nearly half of all iPad sales

CIRP: iPad mini range now accounting for nearly half of all iPad sales
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 21, 2016, 04:16 PM

Foreshadowing a possible rise in iPad sales and shipments thanks in part to the new iPad Pro, a new report from analysts Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) has found that the iPad mini range -- consisting of the iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 4, both of which are currently sold by Apple -- now account for nearly half (47 percent) of all iPad sales. The survey found that the latest iPad Pro already accounted for 12 percent of sales, while the iPad Air 2 remains the single best-selling model.

The report, which covers the US market only, did not reveal its estimate of the total number of iPads sold in the US -- which is really the more important statistic, as industry observers will be watching to see if the gentle but steady decline in iPad sales seen over the past year have been reversed with a combination of the new, larger iPad Pro and better sales incentives on iPads generally, particularly around the holiday quarter. Last year in fiscal Q1 (the December quarter), Apple sold 21.42 million iPads worldwide, making that the number to beat.

Sales of the iPad mini grew sharply over the past year, with total US sales of the two models jumping from 32 percent of all sales to 47 percent. The 2013 model iPad mini 2 was the most popular of the iPad mini line despite its age, specifically because of very low pricing. The iPad mini 3 was almost non-existent in terms of sales in the CIRP report, having been discontinued by Apple when the iPad mini 4 was introduced in September. The iPad mini 3 added little to the iPad mini 2 apart from Touch ID support and a gold color option.

The iPad Pro, also just introduced in September, has already leapt to 12 percent of iPad sales, suggesting the larger model is a rising star that finally distinguishes the iPad concept with unique abilities that the iPad's main competitors -- phablet smartphones -- cannot match. The rise of larger-screened smartphones (including Apple's own 6 Plus and 6s Plus) have been blamed as one of the primary factors behind the decline of the tablet's sales, even though competition from Android-based tablets is virtually non-existent outside China.

Modern smartphones are large enough now that they are passable e-book readers, game devices, and HD video players -- functions the original iPads were primarily bought to do. The iPad Pro, however, is a much more powerful model that features exceptional drawing capabilities, full stereo sound for a more immersive video or game-playing experience, and desktop-class speed and functionality. That it has captured one-eighth of the US iPad market in three months suggests that the $799 starting price on the device is not a serious impediment for those who view it as a more capable tablet computer.

The survey was based on 500 US buyers of iPads who purchased them between October and December of last year. The two current 9.7-inch iPad models, the Air and the Air 2, comprise about 40 percent of sales. Apple is expected to report iPad sales for the December quarter in a conference call with analysts on January 26 after the markets close.

tehwoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2016, 12:38 PM

Interesting: when the larger iPhones came out ... there were market commentators around predicting that that was the end of the iPad mini ... "WHY WOULD YOU WANT A BIG iPhone AND a small IPad" they asked. Just goes to show how wrong they were.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 22, 2016, 12:49 PM

Full retail prices: iPad Mini: $300. iPhone $799.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jan 22, 2016, 01:42 PM

I'll probably buy a mini for my next iPad. This is partly because my mobile computing needs of changed (I'm doing more design instead of research/writing), but partly that if I don't use my iPad as my mobile computer, then it may as well be smaller and easier to use for things like reading or watching video, etc. The main advantages of the regular iPad are screen real-estate (which one needs for doing work stuff) and a bigger keyboard (when typing on-screen). I just don't need those two that much anymore.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Makosuke
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2016, 06:56 PM

This is surprising given that in the past the iPad Mini apparently wasn't selling all that well, and the general belief (my own included) that it was going to get worse rather than better now that Apple offers a big-screen phablet.

Maybe this analysis is just wrong, but, as I often say, just because I don't see the value doesn't mean others won't. Looking at my relatives who own iPads, exactly half have the 10" one and half have Minis.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jan 23, 2016, 05:27 AM

@ Makosuke -

It's very much a use-case kind of thing.

And, strangely, Apple seems to get that with tablets, but doesn't with phones. Hmm.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules