Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > We have Quake I and Quake III for OS X....Where's II?

We have Quake I and Quake III for OS X....Where's II?
Spectre666
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2001, 11:26 PM

Alright, does anyone know if there is an OS X Version of Quake II in the works? I saw on Versiontracker that there is an update for OS X Server, but what about the rest of us? This is one of my favorite games of all time, with AWESOME multiplayer, and having it under OS X would be just that much better.

Anyone know?

I hate everyone equally.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2001, 07:23 AM

Does this count?
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=3660&db=mac

My guess is that it will be along soon enough..although if they can port 1, then why not two?

Spectre666  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>Does this count?
http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=3660&db=mac

My guess is that it will be along soon enough..although if they can port 1, then why not two?</STRONG>
Nope, doesn't count =) That's the update for OS X Server I was talking about, and I'm not running Server. I have high-hopes that this game will be ported!

I hate everyone equally.

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 10:20 PM

omni did the origional osx server port, and if i remember correctly they said they might update it further if they had time (these guys are rather busy right now)

personally, i hope they do get around to it, but i am glad to see they are busy getting paid to do some cool stuff (giants), and i wish them all the sucess in the world.

quake 2 mutilplayer is still my favorite, i like ut, but never was fond of quake 3... ah the memories =)

There's someone in my head but its not me...

itim55
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2001, 07:37 PM

I wrote a letter to Omni concerning this very subject, and I suggest you do, too!
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

Spectre666  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2001, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by itim55:
<STRONG>I wrote a letter to Omni concerning this very subject, and I suggest you do, too!</STRONG>
Cool, I wrote them too. I hope they listen to us, I want all the games I have running in OS X...

Now I just need Deus Ex, Doom and Doom 2 (Yes I still play these) and Diablo 2 in OS X, then I will be set, lol.

I hate everyone equally.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2001, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I was joking about running the Server edition , you did say OS X. Good idea about writing Omni, if anyone can take care of it, they will.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Spectre666:
<STRONG>

Cool, I wrote them too. I hope they listen to us, I want all the games I have running in OS X...

Now I just need Deus Ex, Doom and Doom 2 (Yes I still play these) and Diablo 2 in OS X, then I will be set, lol.</STRONG>

Isn't Doom already ported?????
I am sure that I have tested it on X for some time ago. Anyway I checked my download folder, and I have a file called "OSX DooMLegacy.sit". I don't bother to check it right now. I remember that it was a bit jerky, but it worked.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

recursivecall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 04:02 PM

Spectre666  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by recursivecall:
<STRONG>Doom legacy link:
http://doomlegacy.idevgames.com/osxdoom.sit.hqx</STRONG>
Whoa...thanks guys, that rules! The Dooms are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. I don't care for playing it with all the fancy new things they've done to it, although some of it is pretty cool, like the dynamic lighting.

Ok, that knocked another game off of my list, now I just have to wait for Diablo 2 and Deus Ex.

Hey...since they ported Doom, I wonder if they can port Duke Nukem 3D.....and Shadow Warrior! Haha, ok maybe I'm asking too much now...

I hate everyone equally.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2001, 07:00 PM

I wish Rune would be ported. It's a awesome game. But I guess I never will buy a mac os 9 only game.. (X is the reason why I own a mac )
But I am afraid that Rune wouldn't be ported..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

austeros
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 10:30 PM

rune is basied on ut... so i wouldnt count it out yet...

wasnt there supposed to be an expansion pack for rune? whatever happened to that?

Spectre666  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
<STRONG>rune is basied on ut... so i wouldnt count it out yet...

wasnt there supposed to be an expansion pack for rune? whatever happened to that?</STRONG>
Yeah, I forgot about Rune, add that to my list!

The expansion pack is called "Halls of Valhalla" or something like that, but I've only seen PC versions of it. I don't think it was that great of an expansion anyway, it just added different characters and maps to play as in multiplayer, and a few new single player maps.

I hate everyone equally.

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2001, 01:44 PM

Halls of Valhalla's Mac publisher dropped out just before it's release and no one picked up the project. Essentially it's done and ready..for months now..but no one to publish it.

I thought UT's mods were universal though...has anyone tried the PC expantion on their Mac?

austeros
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 09:40 PM

it has to be something else too, otherwise there would have been no mac branded expansion, a la q3 team arena... pity, it seemed like a cool game

<2112>
Nov 4, 2001, 07:19 PM

THE FINAL WORD

Directly from the OmniGroup (sumarized):
They are busy porting payed games, aka. Giants. Anyway, they will update Quake II but no dates given since no one is paying.

That's about it, the point is not the money (well not all of it) but the time it takes for them to fullfill their contract with the other games. We will see Quake II on a more free-time-developement, much like Mark Adam's effor on OS X Unreal Tournament.

Forum Links
Forum Rules