Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Spectre's Mac Repository - New design, how about some feedback?

Spectre's Mac Repository - New design, how about some feedback?
Spectre666
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 10:19 PM

Check out my newly redesigned website (ok it's been up for a few days, but the forums have been down).

I'm doing the entire thing with plain old html, which I haven't done in several years. It's strange to be "going back to my roots," and in a way it's almost like de-evolving. Though I'm sure there are some people out there who think making websites without a wysiwyg editor is the most efficient method. I dunno, I can argue both ways =)

Anyway, I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on the new design, what's good, what's bad, etc. Though keep in mind, it's just for my own personal enjoyment. Thanks!

Spectre's Mac Repository

I hate everyone equally.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2001, 01:13 AM

Looks great in IE 5, but Netscape 4.78 screws up the tables in the top and bottom frames.

EDIT: The problem here is that Netscape adds page margins to the left and to the right of its content, but IE doesn't. It can all just be fixed by adding MARGINWIDTH="0" and MARGINHEIGHT="0" in the <FRAME> tags. It still leaves a margin of 1 pixel in Netscape, but I think that's as good as you can get.

Also Netscape displays the middle left frame a bit narrower than IE. I don't know why on this one, though.

My suggestion would be to just get rid of the frames and make it one huge table (sort of like the yellow border on the page http://team.macnn.com/ is where I learned this trick - look at the source to see how it's done). You'd lose your scrolling middle frame, but it would look great on all browsers (except maybe Netscape 1.0).

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Patrick ]

Spectre666  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2001, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Patrick:
<STRONG>Looks great in IE 5, but Netscape 4.78 screws up the tables in the top and bottom frames.

EDIT: The problem here is that Netscape adds page margins to the left and to the right of its content, but IE doesn't. It can all just be fixed by adding MARGINWIDTH="0" and MARGINHEIGHT="0" in the &lt;FRAME&gt; tags. It still leaves a margin of 1 pixel in Netscape, but I think that's as good as you can get.

Also Netscape displays the middle left frame a bit narrower than IE. I don't know why on this one, though.

My suggestion would be to just get rid of the frames and make it one huge table (sort of like the yellow border on the page http://team.macnn.com/ is where I learned this trick - look at the source to see how it's done). You'd lose your scrolling middle frame, but it would look great on all browsers (except maybe Netscape 1.0).

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: Patrick ]</STRONG>
Thanks for the feedback Patrick, sorry for the long delay getting back to you. Do you know where I can download the version of Netscape you're using? I tested it with the Netscape beta for OS X and it looks ok. I know, I know...I'm a web designer and I don't keep older versions of browsers, big no-no =)

I will experiment with altering the table tags and see what happens though. And thanks for the tip about the tables, though I purposefully put frames on this site as a personal experiment. I usually use tables (just now getting into css) for layouts, I've always thought that frames looked cheap. So my goal was to make a page with frames that doesn't look cheap, hehe. Did I succeed? That's for the viewer to decide.

I hate everyone equally.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2001, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Spectre666:
<STRONG>Thanks for the feedback Patrick, sorry for the long delay getting back to you. Do you know where I can download the version of Netscape you're using? I tested it with the Netscape beta for OS X and it looks ok. I know, I know...I'm a web designer and I don't keep older versions of browsers, big no-no =)</STRONG>
Just go to Netscape's home page and click "download" at the top of the page. Under the link to download Netscape 6.1 is a link to download their older browsers. I wouldn't worry about checking on browsers that are too old, since most older computers on the internet can probably run at least version 3.x of the browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules