Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Two networks into one computer

Two networks into one computer
Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 08:34 PM

I have a B&W450 (Running either OS9 or OSX) that I would like to use as
a webserver. Currently I have a nice storage system setup on that
computer (soon to be upgraded to 4x120GB). I would also like this
storage to be accessable from my PowerBook 800DVI. My problem is that
normal 100base is too slow for the PowerBook/B&W connection. I was
thinking about buying a PCI Gigabit ethernet card (if they exist) and
then connect the PowerBook and B&W directly (or through my Airport). My
problem arises when hooking the B&W to my ISP... I have two fixed IP
addresses, one for my server and one for my airport/LAN. I want the
server to be connected through the static IP while my PowerBook is
connected through the LAN/second IP. Alone this isn't a problem, but
once installing a second network card and hooking into the Intranet/LAN
via my Airport will I have problems? (my guess is yes...) Are there any
solutions?

My main goal is to have the storage from my B&W (external firewire case)
for use as a webserver, while at the same time accessable from my
PowerBook for fast storage (would like to use firewire, but don't think
it will work - currently exploring this option). If anyone has any
suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

-Todd...

Camelot
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 12:58 AM

Umm.. you say that 100base-T is too slow for the B&W <-> PowerBook link, but then you mention AirPort, which is 1/10th of the speed.

Anyway, besides that, you can easily install multiple NICs in a machine running Mac OS X and maintain different networks/subnets on each one.

It's also possible to do in Mac OS 9, but it's much harder and requires additional software.

There is some discussion as to whether FireWire networking is viable or not. It wasn't last time i tried it, but others seem to think it is now, meaning you can connect the array to both machines via FireWire and each machine can access all drives at full FireWire speed.

Todd Corzett  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 12:30 PM

Let me rephrase the thing about Airport... I wouldn't be using an Airport connection, but rather the Airport base station as a router (if needed)... Does the Airport support gigabit routing?

I'm looking into firewire routing, but gigabit should be faster correct? 400mbits vs 1000mbits? Since I have gigabit installed on my PowerBook already All I need is a PCI gigabit card for my B&W... Is there anything else needed? Can I connect the PowerBook and B&W directly with a gigabit cable, or do I need to go through a gigabit hub ($$$)?

I will be running the B&W with OSX (just wanted to mention that there was the option of running OS9). How would I set it up so that the B&W would use the built in network card (and an associated IP address) for all network communications... and the PCI gigabit for only transfers to/from my PowerBook?

Thank you again for the information!

-Todd...

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Todd Corzett:
Let me rephrase the thing about Airport... I wouldn't be using an Airport connection, but rather the Airport base station as a router (if needed)... Does the Airport support gigabit routing?

I'm looking into firewire routing, but gigabit should be faster correct? 400mbits vs 1000mbits? Since I have gigabit installed on my PowerBook already All I need is a PCI gigabit card for my B&W... Is there anything else needed? Can I connect the PowerBook and B&W directly with a gigabit cable, or do I need to go through a gigabit hub ($$$)?

I will be running the B&W with OSX (just wanted to mention that there was the option of running OS9). How would I set it up so that the B&W would use the built in network card (and an associated IP address) for all network communications... and the PCI gigabit for only transfers to/from my PowerBook?

Thank you again for the information!

-Todd...
No the Airport needs to stay out of the data path if you are saying 100Mbit/s is too slow. Filestore access over gigabit ethernet may my considerably slower than firewire, depending on a whole lot of variables such as what protocol you are using, how much padding is implemented to fill the gigabit ethernet frame etc.

I didn't follow your description of the airport, static IPs and so on, so I can't offer you advice on that. It is possible to have two different IP networks running over the SAME physical ethernet network. Worth bearing in mind.

Cheers
Ben.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 05:51 PM

You will have to use a direct connection between the two computers to use 1000BaseT, unless you want to spend a minimum of $499 for a Dell 8 port gigabit switch (cheapest on the market).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 21, 2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Camelot:
There is some discussion as to whether FireWire networking is viable or not. It wasn't last time i tried it, but others seem to think it is now, meaning you can connect the array to both machines via FireWire and each machine can access all drives at full FireWire speed.
Except with special drive arrays that have several independent FireWire ports, no, you cannot do this.

Gigabit ethernet is auto-crossover, so you can use any Cat 5e or Cat 6 ethernet cable.

You can get gigabit PCI cards, but they're not cheap.

In OS X, after installing the gigabit card, it too will show up in the network preferences panel. Move the gigabit card higher up the list than the modem and built-in ethernet, and give the gigabit a private static IP (like 192.168.x.x). Then set the built-in ethernet to whatever network settings you need for external access.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules