Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Installing a Gigabit Network

Installing a Gigabit Network
Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 12:46 PM

I'm looking to install a gigabit network between two computers. There is no need for a connecting from this network to my ISP or the WWW. This is just going to be used for rapid transfer of information between the two computers (B&W450 and PowerBook 800DVI, both running OSX). I was wondering what is necessary for this connection? Can I just connect the two computers via a cable, or do I need to go through a gigabit router/switch/hub first? (I understand that the B&W does not have a gigabit network card built in... but I will be getting a PCI gigabit network card for it). Thank you for any information!

-Todd...

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 05:56 PM

As I said in your other thread:

You will have to use a direct connection between the two computers to use 1000BaseT, unless you want to spend a minimum of $499 for a Dell 8 port gigabit switch (cheapest on the market).

ilukas
Aug 20, 2002, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by nana4:
As I said in your other thread:

You will have to use a direct connection between the two computers to use 1000BaseT, unless you want to spend a minimum of $499 for a Dell 8 port gigabit switch (cheapest on the market).
any ethernet cable between both computers. the PB ethernet port is autosensing, so you don't need a crossover cable (more xpensive).
Can I have that cookie?

Forum Links
Forum Rules