Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft In Every Next-Gen DVD Player?

Microsoft In Every Next-Gen DVD Player?
Ham Sandwich
Apr 13, 2003, 11:09 AM

In Robert Cringley's latest piece on the PBS site, http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030410.html , he mentions the following:
Microsoft is seeking far more than TiVo._ They want to put their software in every next-generation DVD player -- more than 300 million of them in this decade alone._ These are the follow-on devices that will be appearing in two to three years to hold High Definition (HD) content, requiring 40 to 60 gigabytes of storage per disk._ In order to make this happen, DVD makers will either have to dramatically increase their video compression efficiency, or find a way to cram more bits onto each plastic disk._ Chances are they'll do both, building a device with red and blue lasers (blue lasers allow denser data storage because smaller wavelengths of light burn tinier pits in the disk, while red lasers allow backward compatibility with old disks)._ And the compression software, according to an NAB speech this week by the top techie at Warner Brothers' Studio, who is on the committee deciding such things, is likely to be either the new standards-based Advanced Video Codec (AVC), which was submitted in draft form to the ITU just last week, or it will be Windows Media 9.

Microsoft, which has thrown away hundreds of millions of dollars trying and generally failing to get its software in consumer devices, now has a chance to put a piece in every next-generation DVD player._ This is a big opportunity and Microsoft -- aggressive Microsoft -- will do pretty much anything they must to beat AVC, which is sometimes called MPEG-4 part 10._ That of course means pushing WM9, but it could also mean holding back AVC._ It is especially odd then that the committee that just submitted the draft AVC standard is chaired by someone from Microsoft, which has no AVC product in the works and would greatly benefit from AVC's death._ Coincidence?_ I think not.
Anyone have any more information on this that can confirm? If it is true, I cannot believe the entertainment industry would succumb to the monopoly wielding power of MS like that. I am aware of the latest Landmark Theatre deal that MS worked out where WM9 will be used to broadcast films to Landmark's different theatre locations and can see that this would be the "logical" MS progression.

I have heard how much MS wants to basically be in everything - can no one in any position to cause any change stop the juggernaut? It seems that knowing that the goverment is in it's back pocket now, MS is on a frenzy lately.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
I have heard how much MS wants to basically be in everything.
This is rape!
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 11:21 AM

Man! I would be all for M$ being the one to get MPEG4 into DVD players, but NOT if its some hacked up closed standards ****.

-Owl

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2003, 11:35 AM

M$ is predictable to the end. But is WiMP9 *that* good?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 11:53 AM

Windows, Windows everywhere and not a free soul to think of whether tis nobler to simply surrender than to somehow futily resist...

Microsoft, Microsoft in everything, everything... as pervasive as plugging something mechanical into an electrical socket...

To somehow extract ourselves from this tempest, to remain ever watchful at the cliffs of oblivion, to suffer blindly along in some Cassandrian nightmare...

Or to use the needle, If only if it were that easy...

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 12:13 PM

Microsoft has tried many times to replace well established industry standards with their own and have failed every single time, most consumers don't care but the companies that make these next generation DVD's, DVD-players and software do care and they will choose for a free and open standard....

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by screamingFit:

Anyone have any more information on this that can confirm? If it is true, I cannot believe the entertainment industry would succumb to the monopoly wielding power of MS like that. I am aware of the latest Landmark Theatre deal that MS worked out where WM9 will be used to broadcast films to Landmark's different theatre locations and can see that this would be the "logical" MS progression.
Good. Once audiences nationwide have to wait 4 or 5 times during each movie after each "blue screen of death" appears and a subsequent reboot of the system, then all will finally realize the evil that is MS!

Cipher13
Apr 13, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
M$ is predictable to the end. But is WiMP9 *that* good?
WiMP9 is absolutely horrid.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Microsoft has tried many times to replace well established industry standards with their own and have failed every single time,
I read an article to that effect at creativemac.com once, a biased view, but kinda true if you think about it.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 01:42 AM

fortunately for the world I think all these companies know not to help microsoft succeed in any market.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 04:37 PM

Microsoft

klinux
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
This is rape!
Were you raped? Or was someone close to you raped? Otherwise, do not compare to this to rape.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Were you raped? Or was someone close to you raped? Otherwise, do not compare to this to rape.
We have all been raped at one point or another, by Bill Gates.

benb
Apr 14, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by klinux:
Oh my word.

Rape n.:

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.

3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

But, considering who posted it, I guess...

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Were you posted? Or was someone close to you posted? Otherwise, do not compare to this to post.

klinux
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Oh my word.

Rape n.:

1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.

3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

Notice for definition 3 - they did not say a person i.e. as in definition 1. So, if I improperly treated your gf or sister, I can say I raped her?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2003, 11:49 PM

I tottaly agree with klinux, you guys are tactless just shut up you've been caught being morons and using words that mean something to people who have delt with stuff like this, your disrespectful and rude additude is not needed. This was a viable post before you morons screwed it up now please freaking shut up.

klinux
Senior User
Apr 15, 2003, 01:39 PM

Thanks Superchic[k]en. I don't know personally anyone who was raped either but a guy saying that he feels raped (without having been actually raped) makes about much sense as a white person saying he was arrested for "driving while black", a woman who wants to scratch her balls , a virgin saying how bad sex is, etc.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2003, 03:37 AM

I'd rather the DVD companies use metaamaterials with Negative Index of Refraction and just quadruple DVD capacities rather than switching to a Microsoft proprietary format to only "double" the compression.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules