Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anybody See Any Street Mapping SW at MW2003?

Anybody See Any Street Mapping SW at MW2003?
Ham Sandwich
Jan 13, 2003, 10:49 AM

This is the one piece of software that is stopping me from using my Macs full-time. I need something like MS Streets and Trips where I can look up addresses and directions on the fly. Downloading from MapQuest beforehand is out of the question and I don't have internet access on the road. Most of the time, I have my laptop in my car in strange cities and need to find my way around and look up where addresses are. I've tried running VP6 with Win98 and it's still too freakin' slow.

There is one company out there, Delorme, that makes street mapping software but it's only for OS9 and doesn't run under Classic (so they say).

How hard could this be? I would think with all the "switchers" who are used to 20 different companies making this for Windows, someone would be making this for OSX!

Thanks,
-s'fit

murk
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 10:57 AM

Delorme's Street Atlas US works under Classic for me. They just don't have plans to update it to a native X app.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 13, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by murk:
Delorme's Street Atlas US works under Classic for me. They just don't have plans to update it to a native X app.
Well, that's somewhat good news. Delorme does say on their product info for the software:
Note: this product will not run on OS 10 or higher, even in classic mode.
Mind me asking what version of OSX and Classic you're running? I'd hate to break down and buy this app, install it, have it not work and then be stuck with it.

Thanks,
-s'fit

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 01:11 PM

While I didn't see anthign over there that directly fit your needs, you can look around www.gpsy.com, they seem to have a handle on the GPS for mac.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 01:12 AM

NG is relasing Topo for MacOS X

MacGPS Pro is MacOS X Native
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

cowerd
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 01:56 AM

http://www.66.com/route66/news.php?cid=14
from the website:
ROUTE 66 Route USA 2001-2002 is aimed at the professional user and offers street level routing in all states of the USA. After the entire 3.1 GB map is installed on the user�s hard disk, more than 2,600,000 streets and more than 725,000 Points-of-Interest are at the disposal of the user. Never before such a comprehensive route planner has been made available.
oh yes, all this crunchy goodness for $49.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

murk
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by screamingFit:
Well, that's somewhat good news. Delorme does say on their product info for the software:

Mind me asking what version of OSX and Classic you're running? I'd hate to break down and buy this app, install it, have it not work and then be stuck with it.

Thanks,
-s'fit
I'm up to date on both X & Classic. It's worked on all versions so far. I don't understand why Delorme says this. Maybe I should clarify and say I don't use it all that often, but when I do I haven't had problems. Works like it did in 9. Perhaps there are problems I just haven't ran into because of my limited use?

murk
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 02:49 AM

Just opened it up to see what they could be talking about. I have never actually used the route planning feature. I prefer to look at the maps and decide my own course. Anyway, when I realized this, I decided to try it. The trip plan looks as if it might work, but the actual description of the routes is too tiny to read. They just look like lines instead of text. Clicking on each highlights the segments on the map, however. You just can't read them in the list view. Surely this little detail would be easy to fix, but perhaps there are more problems. All I can tell you is it works to find a particular street, town, etc., and plot your own path. I also haven't tried it with GPS.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 14, 2003, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the headsup Murk. Like you, I usually pin where I am, pin where I want to go, and find my own way. This might be do-able.

Thanks folks for the other recommendations. Unfortunately, I don't have a GPS and the options still are too limited on a Mac if I wanted one. NG Topo maps are too expensive as they only cover 1 state (or small grouping of states) per product. Sometimes my travels take me through many states at a time.

I've looked at (better, tried to) the Route66 software before. A companies website says a lot about the product they're hawking. This website is so horrible, from what I can see, there isn't even a way to get to the Mac version by just starting at their home page. I also can't find a reseller who sells it, either.

-s'fit

murk
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 11:35 AM

Here's a link to an AppleInsider thread about this very issue. Maybe its time for Apple to develop iMap.

AI Street Atlas Thread

bevans
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2003, 12:51 AM

Has anyone seen or heard about Street Atlas for Mac OSX soon or if Virtual PC works well with the street atlas 2003?

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2003, 06:41 PM

Has anyone actually tried Route 66? It's a European company, and though it apparently is the only MacOS X native map software, I've never seen a review of it anywhere or heard from any one who has used it.

Moreover, there is no trial download!

In this day and age I think this is inexcusable. I buy a fair amount of software, but I always want to try it before I buy it. Mapping software would be such an easy thing to do --- Allow me to download a copy with maps of Framistan or something that would be completely useless to me, but would at least allow me to try out the features.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 06:59 PM

I use route 66 on a weekly basis overhere. Runs natively in OSX and all but a few weeks ago they announced they were going to stop supporting Mac OS.

BOOOO !!!

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 27, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
I use route 66 on a weekly basis overhere. Runs natively in OSX and all but a few weeks ago they announced they were going to stop supporting Mac OS.

BOOOO !!!
Really? Where did they announce that?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2003, 12:38 AM

What do you think of it as a program?

I'm really disappointed that they aren't supporting it any more, but it isn't surprising. They have the only street mapping program available for OS X, yet they completely failed to market it (at least in the US).

If they distributed demo software, advertised, and so forth, they probably could make a fair amount of money, but it just doesn't seem like they are into the Mac community. In fact, it's kind of surprising that they released a Mac version at all.

bnmp27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 12:49 AM

Hi all,

I've been watching your posts regarding the LACK of street mapping programs for the MAC. I use the last version of Delorme's Street Atlas USA (Version 6) for the Mac, however, you can't read the routing instructions because the font library doesn't know how to handle that particular font. I have Route 66 2001-2002 for the Mac as well, it loads all of it's map into your hard drive. One would think this would speed things up, but unfortunately that is not the case. We still don't have a good solution for the Mac in this regard, may Apple needs to be told his OVER and OVER again so something can be done. Now that I've said that, how do we make SURE Apple hears our plight?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 01:29 AM

Apple has nothing to do with it. The companies have to want to make the programs.

bnmp27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2003, 01:51 AM

I hate to break it to you, but if Apple wants to survive they need programs. Hence Safari, iChat, iMovie, iTunes, iDVD and so forth. Apple has stepped in to continue development of other programs, why not this one. Ok, now you will tell me it's still not Apple's problem, afraid it is, they want to sell computers they need programs that will run correctly on their computers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules