Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Got MacOS X At Staples

Got MacOS X At Staples
MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:02 PM

I guess Staples screwed up and didn't know they weren't supposed to sell it yet...

I just picked one up. The box looks just like the pics on the Web. The UPC is on the bottom on a sticker that says "MacOS X 10.0 Retail".

I'm installing right now...

3 CDs like you've seen plus a little booklet, license agreement, and the software proof of purchase for MacOS Up to Date...

The side of the box talks about all the technologies included like QT5, Java2, etc...

I'll report back on the install in just a minute...

PowerBookDude
Mar 21, 2001, 03:06 PM

From MacNN

A MacNN reader notes that Staples has begun selling copies of Mac OS X: "Many do not know Staples carries a few Macintosh products including the OS (in low quantities). But not being Apple-savy, my local Staples recieved their copies of Mac OS X yesterday and put them on the shelf. I went home with a new copy last night and proceeded to start backing up my Mac so to start installation today. If you don't want to wait until Saturday, quietly check out Staples."

But anyway, tell us how it goes!!!

------------------
Ti 500/384/20/Airport * Pismo 500/256/12/Airport * iMac DV SE 400/128/12/Airport
iBook Blueberry 300/96/3/Airport ** Epson 980 and 740i * SoundSticks * Visor Prism * Palm V [retired]

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
I guess Staples screwed up and didn't know they weren't supposed to sell it yet...

I just picked one up. The box looks just like the pics on the Web. The UPC is on the bottom on a sticker that says "MacOS X 10.0 Retail".

I'm installing right now...

3 CDs like you've seen plus a little booklet, license agreement, and the software proof of purchase for MacOS Up to Date...

The side of the box talks about all the technologies included like QT5, Java2, etc...

I'll report back on the install in just a minute...
Are these guys stupid or what ?
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

bashyal
Mar 21, 2001, 03:07 PM

what city/state are you in ?

tdominey
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2001, 03:10 PM

Staples sucks anyway. Doesn't surprise me they did a boneheaded thing like that.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:11 PM

Yeah, I was surprised but I wasn't about to tell them they were making a mistake... Anyway, the installer says 3 minutes left... We'll see...

I've been using the RC for the last two weeks so I should be able to tell if there are speed improvements... I'm doing a clean install to avoid any confusion...

I've also got a copy from the Apple store coming on Saturday... Still, this looks legit in terms of the packaging. Also, isn't it illegal to have two things labeled the same, in the same packaging, both advertised as MacOS X v10.0 and not be the same, one being the "slow" version?

tdominey
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2001, 03:14 PM

Staples sucks anyway. Doesn't surprise me they did a boneheaded thing like that.
Dominey Design

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2001, 03:17 PM

lol!
http://wincent.org/forums/showthread...id=982#post982
http://homepage.mac.com/macmercenary/

hehehehheh

Staples has always carryed Mac OS but no Macs and hardly and software WTF IS UP WITH THAT!?

hehe my town is small but we got satples mb Ill go * it out hehehehe.

So is it just like 4k78 thats aready out and about or is a a Faster 4k78 build like some say?

-Owl

------------------

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 03:17 PM

Product and specifications subject to change without notice.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:22 PM

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. I had to ask for it. They said it came in today and wasn't on shelves yet... The post on MacNN tipped me off...

Going through the registration which looks just like the RC...

So far so good... It's sending my reg info to Apple...

The build number is 4K78. Who knows what that means...

IE is still the preview release... Overall it looks a lot like the RC... This is on a G4/400. 8 "bounces" to launch IE... 4 to launch QT player...

These are VERY unscientific tests... The dreaded window resize test seems about the same as the RC, though I didn't use the RC much on this hardware (mostly my dual 450 which isn't here)...

I think it's fast, but the RC was really fast for me too...

uname reports the kernel was built on March 1st, which I think was the build date for the RC as well so it might be the same... I dunno...

This is all I know so far. If this is a "fake" build, then people who aren't Mac savvy and buy it will be pissed that they got swindled by the Apple mis-information machine...

At this point, I would bank on Apple releasing this and then using software update for any patches since it went GM a few weeks ago... That seems the most likely to me...

nomo-dvd
Mar 21, 2001, 03:28 PM

MadBrowser:

I'd kindly request that you take a look here:
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum3/HTML/003775.html

and read the second post. If you have a moment, could you run the checksums muchfresh detailed there, please? It would likely put to rest any speculation on RC vs. GM vs. "Release" andwhathaveyou. I'm very surprised no one had suggested it prior to muchfresh.

Many thanks.

mindwaves
Mar 21, 2001, 03:32 PM

What I would like to know is how did Staples get Mac OS X when all of the Staples that I know do not carry a single mac product at al.. Why?? They are not a reseller of Apple computers. Why would thy get Mac OS X?? They have nothing to demo it on. This might just be hoax.

[This message has been edited by mindwaves (edited 03-21-2001).]

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:32 PM

Just ran the checksums and they are the same for both the Finder and mach_kernel...

Either the copies at Staples are the "fake" version or there is no change... The box sure looks real... If this is a hoax, I will be very impressed at Apple's creative marketing executives.

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:34 PM

Staples also carries MacOS 9. At my Staples it's right next to Red Hat Linux... That's all the Mac stuff they have. I couldn't find it on their Web site but if you call your local Staples I'll bet they carry at least MacOS 9...

tdominey
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2001, 03:34 PM

Dominey Design

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 03:37 PM

Somewhere, Steve Jobs is going: "why the heck do I keep getting a weird feeling that someone is selling the software before the release? Must be last minute nerves or something..." -heh.

griffman
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 03:38 PM

OK, now I'm confused. Earlier, 'kozmo' (in another thread) posted the following results:

-------
533 SIngle processor 128mb RAM:
Mail -- 1/2 of a bounce (that's one half a bounce)
IE -- 2 bouces
Quicktime - 1 bounce
Terminal - 1 bounce
Sherlock - 1 bounce
Sys Prefs - 1/2 bounce (that's one half of a bounce)

iMac 400Mhz Flower Power w/ 64mb RAM
Mail-- 2 bounces
IE -- 8 bounces
Quicktime -- 3 bounces
Terminal -- 4 bounces
Sherlock -- 3 bounces
Sys Prefs -- 6 bounces
Classic -- 1.5 minutes

500MHZ Powerbook G3 (128MB)
Mail -- 2 bounces
IE -- 4 bouces
Quicktime - 2 bounce
Terminal - 3 bounce
Sherlock - 3 bounce
Sys Prefs - 2 bounces

500Mhz PowerBook G3 (384MB)
Same as Powerbook above

500MHZ TiBook (256MB RAM)
See 533Mhz tower with 128MB RAM

Windows resizing in IE -- Instant in all but the iMac
Window resizing in a sample image -- Instant in all but the iMac
------

Can you run the same suite of "bouncemarks" (new OS X benchmark measurement, (c) griffman, licensing terms available ;-) on your version, and report what you get? And comment on the "instant" window resizing in IE...

thx;
-rob.

[This message has been edited by griffman (edited 03-21-2001).]
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

nomo-dvd
Mar 21, 2001, 03:39 PM

Muchos gracias, MadBrowser. As far as fakery is concerned, staging this would cost Apple a fair amount of time and effort for what I perceive as no gain. Just my opinion, however.

Anyway, thanks again for running the checksums. I sincerely hope the various minions of OS X Build Foolishness will take heed.

mindwaves
Mar 21, 2001, 03:40 PM

Long live the bouncemarks. They rule!!!!!

2 lazy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 03:42 PM

I think some people are waiting for Steve Jobs to hand deliver them a copy of OS X before they believe it's the "Final" version. And even then, they'd probably think that something magical will happen if there date was set after 3/24.

Apple would not send out "fake" copies of OS X and risk pissing of customers. Nor would Staples partake in some hoax.

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 03:48 PM

In this builds defense, the machine it's running on right now doesn't really compare to any you have listed...

It's a Yikes G4/400 (the first G4's out there, lowest end) with 192MB of RAM and a Rage128. A better test would be on my dual G4/450 w/ Radeon but that's at home and my boss isn't as excited about OS X as I am!

Here's what I get for the bounce tests:

Mail -- 4 bounces
IE -- 13 bouces
Quicktime - 6 bounce
Terminal - 3 bounce
Sherlock - 4 bounce
Sys Prefs - 4 bounces

Those numbers don't look so hot... So I rebooted and tried again, just to see if it would make a difference...

Mail -- 4 bounces
IE -- 12 bouces
Quicktime - 6 bounce
Terminal - 2 bounce
Sherlock - 4 bounce
Sys Prefs - 4 bounces

It's about the same...

I'm not sure that the "bounce" test is a very good benchmark... Though I'm not sure what would be a great test... If anyone has any suggestions...

I still think it's really weird they kept the build number in. It just doesn't seem like an Apple thing to do. I'm real curious as to what's being said at the press conference. I think we'll learn a lot from that...

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:01 PM

How is window resizing?

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:05 PM

Not as fast as OS9 but my machine at home with the Radeon is faster than this one is under OSX. Window resizing speed has never bothered me with the Radeon... I think it's really interesting that that's the question everyone asks...

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 04:11 PM

Not as fast as OS9 but my machine at home with the Radeon is faster than this one is under OSX. Window resizing speed has never bothered me with the Radeon... I think it's really interesting that that's the question everyone asks...
There is no live window resizing in Mac OS 9, remember ?

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:14 PM

I know... It's just that some people don't care about the live window resizing, they just want to change the size of the window...

It's not too bad. It's not bad enough that I can't use it or anything like that...

I've been running OS X so long that I can't even stand OS 9 anymore...

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 04:16 PM

I know... It's just that some people don't care about the live window resizing, they just want to change the size of the window...

It's not too bad. It's not bad enough that I can't use it or anything like that...

I've been running OS X so long that I can't even stand OS 9 anymore...
They really should have done a lighter version of Aqua for slower macs.

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:26 PM

How is window resizing?

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 04:28 PM

Well... if you live in Stamford, CT you can buy OSX NOW at Staples. (The have a retail box - empty - on the shelf and you give them the stock number and bring one to the front... $129.97)

oooooooooooooo I'm TELLIN'.............Steve's gonna be PISSED.

Umm... Piracy
Mar 21, 2001, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Lord Kronos:
They really should have done a lighter version of Aqua for slower macs.
Changing the Genie to one of the other two options (suck and shrink I think) seems to be a bit faster (at least shrink).

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2001, 04:35 PM

Not to gloat.. just to confirm... that a friend from work and I just picked up OSX from the Staples here in E'ville, Indiana as well. I have to wait until I get home from work to install it though. All of the photo's online of the CD's and the box are real. I'm also fully expecting to see 4k78 in the about screen.

This just made my evening that's for sure.

JeremyS
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 04:37 PM

**** , Staples in Canada doesn't seem to carry any MAC stuff, anyone in the Calgary, AB area know where to get MAC OS X today?

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:39 PM

What I really want to know is if these bouncemarks are from a boot->login->launch sequence or are they relaunches?

I noticed the other day (playing with PB for the first time in ages) that things were noticably faster the second time around.

I'd argue that relaunch is a far more important measure than launch.

:-)
Fraser
(Who can't wait to get final on his 2*500/384Mb/40Gb/21" G4 machine :-)
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:43 PM

Note that bouncemarks are highly dependent on your HD. On my 500mhz G4 tried X (k78) on 3 drives... One was the pre-installed 7200rpm drive , the second was with an Ultra Wide SCSI drive, and the third was with a dual IBM 75GXP drive.

on the pre-installed drive IE was 4 bounces...with the UltraWide it was barely a bounce...on the IBM it was a bounce and a half.

[This message has been edited by King Kong (edited 03-21-2001).]

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 04:53 PM

The HD in the test machine is no screamer. Tonight I will retest on the Dual 450, which has a 7200 rpm drive...

My tests were not relaunches. Some apps seem to benefit from the relaunch but it seems like mostly Cocoa apps, not Carbon.

Bartimus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 04:57 PM

Just got mine from Staples!!

The Staples at the Mall of Georgia (Suwanne, GA) has 3 copies left as of 15 minutes ago. Go to the "Tech Counter" and ask for it, it is not on display.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 04:59 PM

Ha! I called my local Staples to confirm that they had it (I had to tell the guy to check in the back if a shipment arrived today). I'M GOIN' TA STAPLES!
I abused my signature until she cried.

MadBrowser  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2001, 05:10 PM

Now I just gotta wait until Saturday so I can get the new Carbon iApps...
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001...1osxstore.html

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 05:11 PM

I'm not within 40 miles of a Staples, thank God.
Cuz otherwise I'd be out there right now wasting my money!

saturday...saturday...satur...

------------------
you are not your signature
you are not your signature

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 05:28 PM

In regards to window resizing, I suggested to Apple that the user should have the option of resizing in either live or outline (like OS9) mode. I guess they couldn't see the need for it.

Agent69
Agent69

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 05:29 PM

I just went to Staples here in Nashville, TN and bought OSX. I just walked in and said I want OSX. The manager went in a room in the back and came out with it. Developer Tools are included and it says on the side of box "Internet Explorer 5.1 Preview". Bottom of box says "Mac OS X v10.0 Retail".
( Last edited by InterfaceGuy; Jul 9, 2011 at 03:04 PM. )

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 05:36 PM

I just went to Staples here in Nashville, TN and bought OSX. I just walked in and said I want OSX. The manager went in a room in the back and came out with it. Developer Tools are included and it says on the side of box "Internet Explorer 5.1 Preview". Bottom of box says "Mac OS X v10.0 Retail".
( Last edited by InterfaceGuy; Jul 9, 2011 at 03:04 PM. )

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
**** , Staples in Canada doesn't seem to carry any MAC stuff, anyone in the Calgary, AB area know where to get MAC OS X today?
Hey, I'm in Calgary, AB, too! Unfortunately, I haven't seen anywhere that sells Mac OS X yet. Have you tried CompuSmart?

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 06:52 PM

OK, so how long do you all think it will be before Staples gets ATI'd?

------------------
Kevin Buchanan
The Spirit of Volkswagen
The Retro New Beetle Headquarters
Webmaster, Fort Worth VolksFolks Club
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

statonjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 07:03 PM

I just purchased Mac OS X from Staples here in Orlando, FL. The salesman said they just received the 2 boxes today. One was already on hold and I purchased the other one. The bottom of the package says "Mac OS X v10.0 Retail". Looks like the end for Staples...
-------------------------
TiBook 800/512 OS X 10.2

statonjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 07:05 PM

Stupid double post.

[This message has been edited by statonjr (edited 03-21-2001).]
-------------------------
TiBook 800/512 OS X 10.2

OSTenning
Mar 21, 2001, 07:15 PM

As soon as I saw this thread I broke all traffic laws getting to Staples. The guy told me he thought he had some in back ( I heard him asking someone if he could sell them) then came out and handed me the box. I quickly paid and giggled my home (it just occured to me how terribly pathetic I am -- yet I don't care!).

fats
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2001, 07:26 PM

I got mine!!!
I got it.
At staples. They didn't even know. They were locked up in the back and I had to do was ask for it and they got the manager and he got me one.

Later. I'll write back when I'm in X.

ymir23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2001, 07:33 PM

Just got mine at Staples in W. Hollywood. Asked a clerk and he brought one out from the back.

Now to format my X partition and install on my 400 Pismo. Praying for speed.

Unregistered
Mar 21, 2001, 07:37 PM

I just purchased "Mac OS X v10.0 Retail" at my local Staples!!! I previously had ordered it from the Apple Store, but heard on Wincent.org and MacNN forums that it had been seen at Staples. So, sure enough I go to my local Staples, ask the guy if he's seen any boxes with a big blue X on them and he says, "hmm, that sounds familiar. Let me go check." He comes out of the back room with a box that looks just like the ones in some of the pictures floating around on the talk forums. So I call the Apple Store, cancel the order with them, then drive down to Staples at the speed of light, and purchase one of the boxes. No problems! They just rang it up at $129.97! I have it right here in my hot little hands, but have to wait til I'm off work to go home and install it ;-(

-Haji

Karim
Senior User
Mar 21, 2001, 07:40 PM

When I called staples I asked them if they had the "Apple Mac OS Ten" after 5 minutes on hold I got a guy that said, "well no, but we do have the X system..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules