Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hairline crack on the trim/bezel; will they replace it?

hairline crack on the trim/bezel; will they replace it?
vexingv
Dec 5, 2004, 11:16 PM

i cant believe i didnt notice this before, but i've got a hairline crack on the trim/bezel near the right hinge. i've had an issue with a tigh hinge that made creaking/cracking sounds. my guess is that the hinge was so tight that when opening the aluminum gives a little bit taking the plastic trim on top with it and eventually cracked it.
the piece is just about to fall off. do you think its possible to have the trim replaced and in addition to getting the damn hinges fixed for good.

would calling in for technical support and then mailing it out be better? (every time i go to the genius bar, its always packed and they give me the run around)

pics (look at the red cicle)

thanks

UPDATE: another pic which clearly shows the separation:
http://pics.apartment808.com/users/v.../IMG_09291.JPG
( Last edited by vexingv; Dec 7, 2004 at 12:09 AM. )

PseudoTech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 05:33 PM

Are you sure that isn't a hair, or something along those lines?

Given the actual size of the crack... well, I'd need my reading glasses to see it if I had the machine in front of me...

You can always give Apple a try... but I don't think this is significant enough to warrant a repair.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2004, 05:47 PM

Pic dead. Ummm, this sounds like the beginning of the problem my children just gave me. I gave them a perfectly good Tibook and they returned a Tibook with lid that just flops open and shut. The hinges have ripped from the display casing altogether. Both of them. I've posted a question on this.
ebuddy

thebunny
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 10:31 PM

My TiBook is developing cracks on the bezel near both hinges. I'll call Apple about this. Let us know if they fix yours. The AlBooks are so much sturdier.

vexingv  (op)
Dec 7, 2004, 12:05 AM

pic works fine for me...
and yes there is a crack. actually that piece has now clearly separated from the rest of the bezel. fortunately, the way the trim/bezel is designed it has not fallen off the laptop completely (its clamped or tucked underneath the aluminum so it;ll move but just wont come off).
i posted on apple discussion forums and it seems like most ppl are saying that the problem is not significant enough and doesnt affect the funtionality of the machine. however, some ppl with similar problems or other "cosmetic" problems have said that when their machines have gone into repair for hardware reasons, these "cosmetic" problems were also fixed as well.

dwood
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 02:31 AM

hmm good luck on the phone call, that won't get covered
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2004, 09:53 AM

Unfortunately, I've heard the same thing. No coverage. Even w/ AC, even under normal warranty.

I'll tell ya what (about to rant) it really is disheartening to pay for Apple form, style, and function when the function part leaves you with a really unstylish laptop. (i.e. hinges ripped from display casing, leaving you with flopping LCD and no way to repair it.) Hinges are one thing, ripping away from the Titanium shell is entirely another!!! When Apple comes out with a new product, guess who is going to let someone else buy it?! I'll wait 'til they come out with an oops; Version B, then an oops; Version C so I can look at all the 'pioneers' willing to blow thousands on the latest "top-notch" quality from Apple and scream; "HAAAAA, SUCKAS"!!!

My "way cool" Titanium Powerbook ain't cool anymore. It's friggin' worthless as a laptop.
ebuddy

dwood
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 03:30 AM

eh, the tibook hinge problem is one thing, that tiny little hairline crack is another. Apple should be covering the tibook hinges
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Forum Links
Forum Rules