Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scratch :'(

Scratch :'(
tavilach
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 08:43 PM

I found my first little scratches on the back on my PowerBook, today. I though they were tiny little pencil marks, but they wouldn't erase. They're scratches, alright...damnit...

Someone told me that they had their PowerBook replaced, because they experience a certain noise, a noise that I experience as well. Thus, mine might even be replaced...

...if not, though, what's the best way to fix a tiny little scratch? I'd rather not paint it...is there a way to sand it down or anything?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 08:59 PM

Try using the PowerBook. You won't notice it then.

Originally posted by tavilach:

...if not, though, what's the best way to fix a tiny little scratch? I'd rather not paint it...is there a way to sand it down or anything?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 09:19 PM

Lets get some perspective on this. Its on the back of the computer, not the display. It no way effects the use of the computer.

Wear and tear happens no matter how careful you are.

While I do take excellent care of my PB, I expect it to be marked up on the underside. Sliding it under the display or moving it around the table/desk will cause this.

Finally there's a whole lot more things in life to worry about then scratches on a laptop.

Mike

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 10:08 PM

I found my first little scratches on the back on my PowerBook, today. I though they were tiny little pencil marks, but they wouldn't erase. They're scratches, alright...damnit...

Someone told me that they had their PowerBook replaced, because they experience a certain noise, a noise that I experience as well. Thus, mine might even be replaced...

I was like that at first too.... now I am used to plenty of them! Nothing to worry about, it's just like beauty marks on a pretty woman!

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 11:23 PM

It won't be your first or your last scratch especially if you use Sand paper to smooth out the existing ones. A notebook is gonna get more abuse no matter how well you take care of it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

tinman831
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 12:04 AM

A little scratch is probably the best thing for you psychologically since you might not be so paranoid about keeping your laptop in perfect condition. When I sent my "perfect" laptop in to have it fixed. It came back with a little scratch and I was pissed. I sent it in again to have them replace the cover. When I got it back, I was SOOO happy. As I was walking out the store with my laptop under my arm, the heavy glass door closed on me and hit my laptop causing a nice little scratch on it. Needless to say, I wanted to cry right there on the floor. But now I'm not too bothered by scratches and I can now enjoy my laptop to its fullest.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 12:31 AM

The thing is...I've had it for four months, and I managed to keep it *perfect* even without being too overprotective.

I think this was caused by placing it on top of a spiral notebook. Poo.

Resell value...goes down...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 02:24 AM

But seriously.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Randman:

But seriously.

But seriously.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 02:41 AM

A small scratch on the bottom is nothing. Does it impact the usage of said machine? Resale value? Are you more concerned in how much you can get for your machine or using it?
Get something like a radtech case for it and enjoy the damn computer.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
A small scratch on the bottom is nothing. Does it impact the usage of said machine? Resale value? Are you more concerned in how much you can get for your machine or using it?
Get something like a radtech case for it and enjoy the damn computer.
Dude. I'm enjoying it plenty. You know as well as I that the first scratch is annoying.

...and resell value is important to me, as I will probably sell it eventually, and if that means sooner than later, it's a concern.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2004, 04:57 AM

In so many posts you go on and on about resell value... you haven't had your powerbook long (and before owning one you were posting many, many questions about when, how, why, what if? questions all over these boards for buying advice/do I go for the BTO? etc etc)...

Just enjoy your powerbook for what it is... a great machine!

( Last edited by siflippant; Dec 12, 2004 at 06:28 AM. )

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by siflippant:
In so many posts you go on and on about resell value... you haven't had your powerbook long (and before owning one you were posting many, many questions about when, how, why, what if? questions all over these boards for buying advice/do I go for the BTO? etc etc)...

Just enjoy your powerbook for what it is... a great machine!

I'm a cheap Jew, though !

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2004, 07:21 AM

I'm a cheap Jew, though !
Oi vey!

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 01:22 PM

It's a damn computer, not a valuable piece of art. If you can't use it normally (which will cause wear&tear on both chassis, screen, optical drive, touchpad, keyboard+++) then stop use it and place it in a glass cabinet where you can admire your scratch free computer. Laptop computers are tools designed to be used for portable computing, not to be displayed as scratch free status symbols

Stop whining

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 02:42 PM

How long before you were planning to sell it? I doubt that you would lose much value for a scratch... in fact, if you use it for a couple of years, it's doubtful that it wouldn't wind up with more.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 07:26 AM

Why does it seem that every post you make you always hint at some kind of fraud?

You made the mistake of using your notebook on a spiral binder, and now you're trying to find a convenient way to get Apple to give you a new one?

You've got issues.
MBP 1.83

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 12:25 PM

Nerd
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by mhuie:
Why does it seem that every post you make you always hint at some kind of fraud?

You made the mistake of using your notebook on a spiral binder, and now you're trying to find a convenient way to get Apple to give you a new one?

You've got issues.
2nd.
Just enjoy your pb!
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by iomatic:

quote of the month =)

i got a scratch on mine, after all this time, it's no biggie any more .. and it's pretty hard to see .. takes people a long time to find it when i tell 'em i scratched it. who cares. it looks better than any other electronic item i've owned this long (especially the ipod) .. who cares?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 04:26 AM

Dude. I'm enjoying it plenty. You know as well as I that the first scratch is annoying.

...and resell value is important to me, as I will probably sell it eventually, and if that means sooner than later, it's a concern.

if we all know the first scratch is annoying, why do you have to post about it? and then get upset for catching flack? we arent ribbing you out of hate/anger/irritation. give it a few weeks and it wont bother you in the slightest.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dwood
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2004, 01:51 PM

typical mac user complaint
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2004, 04:39 PM

I found my first little scratches on the back on my PowerBook, today.
Keep yer knees together, Honey...

xavier1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
It worked for me.

Cheers

-XL

lightusr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 11:28 AM

If you want to get it fixed, ask for a quote from a repair shop on what they'd charge for both labor and materials to replace bottom of it. Then go to the store, drop your powerbook off, come back a week later and pay for their services.

Now you get to enjoy your scratch-free powerbook for a couple of weeks. When it happens again, rinse and repeat.

By the way, don't defraud apple and force them to fix stuff that wasn't their fault, it raises costs for them and for the rest of us.

flypenfly
Dec 18, 2004, 01:03 PM

I hope something happens and you get a Dent. That way you'll notice the scratch very little, and also you might cry a little which would bring me some Internet joy.

Also, I had my PB motherboard replaced twice and they insisted it has to fail one more time before they'll replace the whole thing, they're not gonna replace your entire PB because of a "noise". haha

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by flypenfly:
I hope something happens and you get a Dent. That way you'll notice the scratch very little, and also you might cry a little which would bring me some Internet joy.

Also, I had my PB motherboard replaced twice and they insisted it has to fail one more time before they'll replace the whole thing, they're not gonna replace your entire PB because of a "noise". haha
Merry Christmas to you too,

While Tavi is annoying, I wish no ill will towards him or anyone else.

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 18, 2004, 02:41 PM

About 4 months ago I dropped my 17" PowerBook off a tech bench and it smashed on the floor. The front got all dented in and the screen has a 1" hairline crack (somehow the goop didn't come out and it's really hard to notice it, guess I got lucky huh ) and I still use and love this system every day. Computers are a tool, not a work of art and as long as they continue to function even with cosmetic problems it doesn't bother me one bit. Like someone said laptops are designed to be ::gasp:: mobile so expect it to get scratched at the very least.

PowerBookOwner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 05:40 PM

The thing is...I've had it for four months, and I managed to keep it *perfect* even without being too overprotective.

I think this was caused by placing it on top of a spiral notebook. Poo.

So you just confessed in a public forum that the fault was your own. Wear and tear dude. It happens and certainly is not Apple's fault

And yet you would try to get it replaced using the "noise" that you suddenly remembered after you scratched your Powerbook?

And then everyone wonders why AppleCare is so suspicious of every repair. With people trying to take advantage of the system like this.

As many others have already said, how about you just start using your Powerbook and get over the the fact that it isn't new anymore. That is why you bought the Powerbook in the first place, right?
14" iBook G4 1.42 gHz 60 gig HD w/SuperDrive

PowerBookOwner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by lightusr:
If you want to get it fixed, ask for a quote from a repair shop on what they'd charge for both labor and materials to replace bottom of it. Then go to the store, drop your powerbook off, come back a week later and pay for their services.

Now you get to enjoy your scratch-free powerbook for a couple of weeks. When it happens again, rinse and repeat.

By the way, don't defraud apple and force them to fix stuff that wasn't their fault, it raises costs for them and for the rest of us.
Excellent suggestion.
14" iBook G4 1.42 gHz 60 gig HD w/SuperDrive

johnzoidberg
Dec 18, 2004, 09:57 PM

Yes, I suggest you sand your machine to get rid of the scratches: Start sanding. Keeping sanding, until you see the circuit boards. Problem solved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules