Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Expanding a Windows Partition

Expanding a Windows Partition
addaddadd3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 12:50 PM

I made a Windows partition in Boot Camp, but I found that I made it too small and I am running out of hard drive space on that partition, while my mac partition has alot of space to spare. Is there any way to expand the windows partition without deleting it entirely and remaking the partition? If there is, what (if any) common potential risks are involved?

Thanks in advance, perhaps.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 01:59 PM

( Last edited by richwig83; Sep 5, 2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correction)
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

addaddadd3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:03 PM

Yea, that won't work because it deals with Mac partition formats, and I need to expand a FAT32 Partition.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 02:09 PM

MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

addaddadd3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:13 PM

Thanks! I'll have to talk it over with my dad, but I hope it works!

PaperNotes
Sep 5, 2007, 03:45 PM

Drive Genius *might* do this. Get in touch with them and ask first.

If not, if you have Vista installed there's a back up utility included with the OS that can back up the whole installation to a single image which can be restored later on. You can back up, then use Boot Camp installer on Tiger to remove the Windows partition, reinstall Boot Camp and Windows on a larger new partition, and then restore your back up image.

Personally I install essential apps to the internal hard drive and non essential stuff like games, demos and shareware to an external USB drive. That way I can keep the Windows partition small.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 11:53 PM

I haven't come across any tools that can resize both OS X and a Windows partition dynamically. The thing is that they are 2 different formats. The windows apps that do resizing wont have a clue about the OS X partition and the same goes for OS X.

XP or Vista can't even read a mac partition without tools like macdrive installed in windows.

Your quickest and best bet is to do like PaperNotes said.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 6, 2007, 12:42 AM

i would advise against any attempt to resize your windows partition due to the fact that no tool i know of recognizes and makes proper changes to BOTH the GUID partition table and the MBR partition table. I tried using drive genius to resize my windows boot camp partition. It failed.. horribly. It left me with a GUID partition table with an HFS+ partition being overlapped with a windows partition. Drive genius has no regard for the MBR data that is written in for Boot camp to function properly. I had to use that MBR data (which had the proper geometries for the partitions) to rebuild my GUID table in a terminal miracle.

I finally ended up creating an image of the windows partition with disk utility, deleting the windows partition and re-partitioning with boot camp. I then had to let windows setup to go thorough its initial installation so it could format the new partition and set the active flag in the MBR table. After that I rebooted into OS X, deleted everything on the windows partition and then restored the image back to the new partition. This worked well for me with XP with the only side effect being that windows sees a ton of "desktop.ini" files that don't have the proper hidden attributes. Of course, this can only be accomplished if your windows partition is FAT32 so OS X can write to it.
( Last edited by hookem2oo7; Sep 6, 2007 at 12:50 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2007, 09:27 AM

I believe that the process richwig83 and hookem2oo7 link to/discuss is about the only "reliable" way to get this done. There are no Windows products that I know of that even recognize the Mac's HFS+ file system partitions, and while OS X recognizes both NTFS and FAT32 partitions, resizing them is problematic-OS X cannot WRITE to NTFS partitions, and will refuse to touch one, while there are far too many potential problems in manipulating a bootable FAT32 partition to depend on doing it safely.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Sep 6, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I believe that the process richwig83 and hookem2oo7 link to/discuss is about the only "reliable" way to get this done. There are no Windows products that I know of that even recognize the Mac's HFS+ file system partitions, and while OS X recognizes both NTFS and FAT32 partitions, resizing them is problematic-OS X cannot WRITE to NTFS partitions, and will refuse to touch one, while there are far too many potential problems in manipulating a bootable FAT32 partition to depend on doing it safely.
Doesn't MacDrive recognize HFS+? When I'm in BC, I can see my OS X partition fine with this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

PaperNotes
Sep 6, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Doesn't MacDrive recognize HFS+?
Steve
That's what it is for. It was originally written to allow Windows users to mount an iPod before they became available for Windows.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 02:57 AM

Like I wrote in my last post, MacDrive reads OS X partitions in XP and Vista. Without it the OS X drives or partitions wont mount.

If your drive is NTSF then OS X can read from it but cant write to it unless you use NTFS-3G which is no longer being developed.

Now if you have a FAT32 drive then OS X can read and write to it. But FAT32 has problems writing files larger than 4 gigs(single file such as a DVD backup or something). Smaller files no problems.

silver
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2007, 08:10 AM

I don't know that MacDrive would allow a partitioning package to manipulate an HFS+ partition-in fact, I think that there is a huge difference between being able to interact with a file system and manipulating the underlying partition. This sort of tinkering is something that just scares the crap out of me; it's very much terra incognita because of the lack of top-to-bottom support for either partition structure in the other OS. The safe and dependable way is to image the Windows partition, delete it and then create a new one of a different size, and then restore the image. Not "on the fly," but definitely safe.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules