Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > should i buy a hd dvd player?

should i buy a hd dvd player?
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2008, 08:24 AM

amazon has them for $119.00 right now. don't have any hd dvd's but i have no plans to go to blu-ray either. the reason i would consider buying into an obsolete product line is that this player has very good reviews with its upconvert feature for playing standard dvds with high def tv sets. for any of you have tried this ---- any opinions?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2008, 08:39 AM

just to add, i know sony sells an upconverter box but a lot of people seem to say that it doesn't work very well.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2008, 09:06 AM

HD-DVD players will automatically select the appropriate resolution level for the destination monitor based on how the monitor is connected. Even "standard definition" monitors will have a better picture with either high-def DVD format than with a standard DVD because of the compression scheme used on DVDs. If you expect to get HD-DVDs (like you have your eye on some titles already), then it's probably a good idea to consider getting an HD-DVD player soon. Otherwise, wait and see what shakes out in terms of the studios that had been in the HD-DVD camp and what they do about it with their titles that are already out on HD-DVD. I just bought an "open box" HD-DVD player because I have a box set in HD-DVD, and so far, even with a plain old CRT TV, the HD content looks better than the SD content on the other side of the disc.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 09:08 AM

HD-DVD is dead, no need to get one now.
Signature depreciated.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't.

Toshiba reviewing HD-DVD business: report

edit: I guess I didn't read the OP post very well... I can't really comment on the upconversion.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
amazon has them for $119.00 right now. don't have any hd dvd's but i have no plans to go to blu-ray either. the reason i would consider buying into an obsolete product line is that this player has very good reviews with its upconvert feature for playing standard dvds with high def tv sets. for any of you have tried this ---- any opinions?
There's a good reason why it is so cheap.

HD DVD is on its way out.

As a general rule: when you try to save money, you will lose money. The opportunities to save money on what you need are few and far between, e.g. you are looking for a certain product, and find it way cheaper than everwhere else. You'd have bought it anyway.

Generally: best case scenario is usually that you get your money's worth, and not get ripped off or get a bad product.

Those specials are just there to make you buy what you'd have never bought in the first place.

If you don't buy it you will save more money than in a season of bargain hunting.

If you want HD, get Blu Ray. It it's too expensive, wait. It will come down in price.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 07:42 PM

If you want a good upscaling DVD player that will bridge you until BluRay gets reasonably priced (or is replaced by non-physical media), then get a discounted HD-DVD player, especially if their prices drop further.

If you want to get into high-def video, go BluRay

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't buy a HD DVD player today even you're looking for up-scaling capability.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2008, 11:07 AM

There are other excellent upscaling DVD players that cost less.

Forum Links
Forum Rules