Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > printing-- any other options?

printing-- any other options?
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2010, 06:41 AM

600 mhz g3 imac running 10.2. would rather not put a lot of money into it. i need to print document files. i see two options.

option 1. upgrade my memory and upgrade to 10.4. then print with neooffice. (for those who don't know neooffice won't work with 10.2.) this would be a fairly expensive option for this old machine.

option 2. buy an old copy of microsoft office 98 and print from os9. my machine is still dual bootable.

any other options? i'm sure there are. i really don't want a more modern machine. in my office setting it's perfectly quiet, fits well on my desk and i kinda like the old crt.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

OreoCookie
May 4, 2010, 08:11 AM

Print what? It's important to know what kind of Office documents (including version number) you need to print.

First of all, you can download OpenOffice for free. It can read pretty much any office document format you can throw at it. You need to keep in mind that it will be slow on your machine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2010, 08:57 AM

well i'm willing to try. seems i need openoffice 1.1 and i can't seem to find a download for that version anywhere. i'll keep looking.

print doc. files.

thanks.

EDIT: thought i'd add that these documents are being e-mailed to me. need something to open them with.
( Last edited by gooser; May 4, 2010 at 09:11 AM. )
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

OreoCookie
May 4, 2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
print doc. files.
Which version of Office were they created with? This is the crucial point! If the answer is `up to and including the latest version,' you need something newer than OpenOffice 1.1 or Word 98 for the Mac. The devil is in the details.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2010, 01:43 PM

i'll try to find out.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2010, 01:48 PM

i'm on a different computer now. the only thing that describes what these things are when i "get info" is "microsoft word document".
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules