Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Things that are broken in Rev. B TiBooks.

Things that are broken in Rev. B TiBooks.
ymir23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 03:52 AM

1. Speech doesn't work on Rev B TiBooks. Try it and see. It doesn't work on mine or any others in the local Apple store. Works fine in Rev A books.

2. Play a DVD, then open a mov/mpeg file or two in the foreground. Wait a few minutes. The "most advanced operating system in the world" will slow, then freeze, requiring a restart.

Oh, and the latch stopped working. I've had this laptop for three days.
I'm also enjoying the way that, occasionally, the Aqua Icons screensaver will not turn off when keys are pressed, requiring a restart.

These problems happened with the factory install. I then zeroed the drive and reinstalled. Same problems.

I discovered these problems while demoing the TiBook and OS X to curious PC users at work. Much hilarity ensued; it's a certainty that none of them will be switching platforms.

The Glendale store has send a bug report to Cupertino. If you're having the same problems, you should do the same.

My (regretfully) sold Pismo had none of these problems. I can't wait to see what else my $3000 TiBook can't do, that a Pismo (or PC) can do without breaking a sweat.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Oct 31, 2001, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by ymir23:
[QB]1. Speech doesn't work on Rev B TiBooks. Try it and see. It doesn't work on mine or any others in the local Apple store. Works fine in Rev A books.

2. Play a DVD, then open a mov/mpeg file or two in the foreground. Wait a few minutes. The "most advanced operating system in the world" will slow, then freeze, requiring a restart.

Oh, and the latch stopped working. I've had this laptop for three days.
QB]
The latch is fine on mine. Better than Version A. But regarding the DVD and Quicktime, this is a problem with the OS and not the hardware. OSX is simply not very good at playing Quicktime while decoding DVD which makes no sense because DVD authors need powerful video multitasking.

Speech? Don't use it.

MacManDanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 11:17 AM

Actually, speech works fine on my Powerbook 667... I have been using it sometimes for the stupid apple script commands. It's quite funny sometimes.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 11:29 AM

Sounds like you learned the same lesson Bill Gates did - nothing is perfect and always test before you demo. I also have noticed a few glitches - namely that when I forgot to eject an HFS+/ISO disc, and rebooted into OS 9, I had to force a restart since OS 9 would never mount the CD and never returned control.

It isn't that big of a deal - OS X is still improving. At least since we have new hardware it is certain that our problems will be addressed.

BTW, if you really want to show off OS X, open up the Terminal and run bash or tcsh and let them compare that to their crappy shell! Or you could write an AppleScript that did some shell stuff, etc. That is where the real potential of OS X is.

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: absmiths ]

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 02:25 PM

Another problem I had: I connected my TV to the S-Video port using the composite adapter, and then ran iTunes visualizations full screen to show it off to my wife - then when I went to non-full screen (actually, I just tapped the mouse button), OS X crashed. Not a great demo, either.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2001, 02:03 PM

My 667 has precisely zero of the problems you are talking about. I am publicly calling you a liar.

... or a the recipient of a bum 667.
It's the devil's way now.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 05:08 PM

<STRONG>2. Play a DVD, then open a mov/mpeg file or two in the foreground. Wait a few minutes. The "most advanced operating system in the world" will slow, then freeze, requiring a restart.
</STRONG>
BTW, process starvation can bring down even the most advanced machines in the world - especially when they are configured to allow the console user to run as root. An example is the classic program:

for ( ;fork(); fork()) malloc(10000);

That one line can bring down any Unix system, esp. when run as root and there is only one processor. The affect is to create thousands of threads, each constantly allocating RAM. Eventually, all processes will be starved and the system will appear to be crashed. Also, a bug in the UI can cause the system to appear crashed when it really isn't. There have been several times when I have logged in to my computer via SSH and killed the UI and brought it back up - very handy when the Finder goes out to lunch.

sailor41
Nov 21, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by MacManDanT:
<STRONG>Actually, speech works fine on my Powerbook 667... I have been using it sometimes for the stupid apple script commands. It's quite funny sometimes.</STRONG>
Are you using OS X and speech?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2001, 10:01 PM

<STRONG> Play a DVD, then open a mov/mpeg file or two in the foreground. Wait a few minutes. The "most advanced operating system in the world" will slow, then freeze, requiring a restart.</STRONG>
Trying to play QuickTime movies and DVD's at the same time sounds like a crazy idea to me, but I just had to try it on my new 667Ti to see what would happen! At least in OSX it worked OK. The DVD didn't skip at all and the foreground QT movie just skipped a little. The background QT movie looked like it was skipping pretty noticably but at least the system didn't crash or anything. I sure wouldn't try this in OS9 though.

As far as speech not working, I think you're right... at least if you mean speakable items. That really is weird. It could be the 10.1.1 update though. And as for the broken latch... I'd be mad as hill too! Mine is fine though!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules