Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PowerBook coming out at Macworld ??

New PowerBook coming out at Macworld ??
DesignByJack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 05:02 AM

hi,

I intend to buy one PowerBook G4 667mhz, but the retailer told me that is not more stock in Singapore and I heard is because of Macworld coming soon on January and the new products will launch on the Macworld. Any idea on this? and do anyone know where has keep the stocks of PowerBook G4 667mhz in Singapore?

Jack

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by DesignByJack:
<STRONG>hi,

I intend to buy one PowerBook G4 667mhz, but the retailer told me that is not more stock in Singapore and I heard is because of Macworld coming soon on January and the new products will launch on the Macworld. Any idea on this? and do anyone know where has keep the stocks of PowerBook G4 667mhz in Singapore?

Jack </STRONG>
Jack,

Whoever told you that is wrong. The likelihood of a new PowerBook in January is so ridiculously sli that it's darn near impossible.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 08:12 AM

A new PB is extremely unlikely. The current models were just released on Oct. 16.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 04:19 PM

A new PB is extremely unlikely. The current models were just released on Oct. 16.
And many who ordered them (at least the CD-RW model) still have not gotten them. Apple would not make revisions to a product a month after they began shipping in quantity.

This is in the same category as the rumors that the iBook was going to get a speed bump and a bigger screen at MWNY in July when they had just started shipping in late May. Some people are just nuts in thinking every product is going to be revised at every expo! You just know that if (IF!) a new iMac is released in January there will be people expecting a speed bump in March!
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 05:03 PM

<STRONG>hi,

Jack </STRONG>
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO NEW POWERBOOKS AT MWSF!!!!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
<STRONG>

And many who ordered them (at least the CD-RW model) still have not gotten them. Apple would not make revisions to a product a month after they began shipping in quantity.

This is in the same category as the rumors that the iBook was going to get a speed bump and a bigger screen at MWNY in July when they had just started shipping in late May. Some people are just nuts in thinking every product is going to be revised at every expo! You just know that if (IF!) a new iMac is released in January there will be people expecting a speed bump in March!</STRONG>
I agree that this is unlikely.

However, I remember Spring 1998, when "Wallstreet" was released......... I ordered a Wallstreet 292 MHZ, top-of-the-line machine for $5,600 (?) on the very day it was announced, waited for over 3 months for it to ship - and 2 weeks after it finally arrived, Wallstreet II, with improved speed, newer graphics chip, DVD included, etc. was announced and began shipping, all for several hundred $ less.

So: Unlikely, but you never know.............

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

chengjt
Dec 10, 2001, 11:03 PM

<STRONG>hi,

Jack </STRONG>
I'm also a potential buyer in Singapore. Which retailer told you that? I'm looking for one too but not sure to buy now or later ...

- JT -

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 11:48 PM

They might start including a combo drive at Macworld, but I highly doubt they'd make any extensive revisions at Macworld. Even the combo drive will probably not happen, as Matsushita has not been able to put it in the slot-loading form factor yet.

For future reference, this has been discussed extensively in about four or five threads in the past month. Please refer to past topics before posting a new one. Thanks!

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: seanyepez ]

DesignByJack  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2001, 01:40 AM

I just got an information for my retailer, 550 and 667 are out of stock in Singapore, unless someone keep the stock. And he manage to found one 667, 48GB and CD-RW is about S$5800. Do you think is worth to buy?

Jack

oeyvind
Senior User
Dec 11, 2001, 02:13 AM

<STRONG>I just got an information for my retailer, 550 and 667 are out of stock in Singapore, unless someone keep the stock. And he manage to found one 667, 48GB and CD-RW is about S$5800. Do you think is worth to buy?

Jack</STRONG>
Have you tried AppleStore (online)?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
And many who ordered them (at least the CD-RW model) still have not gotten them
The CDR-W option has been taken off the price lists. There is apparently some issue with those. I just logged on the Apple Store for Resellers, and they can't even be ordered by dealers. I still don't think that they're changing models; I believe there's a problem of either availability or reliability with the drives.

SMacSteve
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2001, 03:02 AM

<STRONG>I just got an information for my retailer, 550 and 667 are out of stock in Singapore, unless someone keep the stock. And he manage to found one 667, 48GB and CD-RW is about S$5800. Do you think is worth to buy?

Jack</STRONG>
That is a rip off!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2001, 03:08 AM

$5800 Singapore = $3165 USD, a pretty good deal since a similar config would be $3399 from the Apple Store.

scarab
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2001, 04:20 AM

Anyway, some of the retail stores don't bother thinking and just stop buying new Apple hardware whenever there is an MacWorld just around the corner since the goods cannot be returned.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2001, 11:27 AM

Buy now... Nothing is going to change until (at the very earliest) July, and that's a pipe dream...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by scarab:
Anyway, some of the retail stores don't bother thinking and just stop buying new Apple hardware whenever there is an MacWorld just around the corner since the goods cannot be returned.
It takes quite a bit of thinking to run a retail store! I work for a small reseller, and we can't afford to sit on merchandise that Apple won't take back and that we lose money on immediately because everybody thinks we should give it to them. There is very little money left to be made selling Apple hardware, and we can't afford to take a chance on buying something that will be discontinued in a few days.

oeyvind
Senior User
Dec 12, 2001, 11:02 PM

is this for real? There might be new options this MWSF:

� M8622F/A : PWB 550Mhz / CDRW-DVD / 256MO �
� M8623F/A : PWB 667Mhz / CDRW-DVD / 512MO �

MacPlus

scarab
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2001, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>

It takes quite a bit of thinking to run a retail store! I work for a small reseller, and we can't afford to sit on merchandise that Apple won't take back and that we lose money on immediately because everybody thinks we should give it to them. There is very little money left to be made selling Apple hardware, and we can't afford to take a chance on buying something that will be discontinued in a few days.</STRONG>
Well I am not referring to all retail stores, but some. I have talked to some of the store owners over here and they basically just clam up when there's a MacWorld, whether or not there was a product upgrade recently.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 08:12 AM

Maybe a slight speed bump at MWTK.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Dogma
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 11:41 AM

The CD-RWs were killed cos they were overheating dangerously. Someone was burnt apparently...
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

graphics84
Senior User
Dec 13, 2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
<STRONG>The CD-RWs were killed cos they were overheating dangerously. Someone was burnt apparently...</STRONG>
och! I've always heard you could fry and egg on the Ti, aprently you can cook yourself too...

DNA man
Senior User
Dec 13, 2001, 12:15 PM

<STRONG>hi,

Jack </STRONG>
It's Apple your dealing with, so you just never know.

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2001, 03:20 PM

they could always replace the third powerbook option (which is just the high-end model with a couple of extras thrown in) with a model that has a higher MHz chip.

not likely but possible.

<antiNeuron>
Dec 13, 2001, 08:15 PM

wouldn't a 7560 with SOI be THE g4 for powerbooks?

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2001, 12:37 AM

I was Looking at Getting a Powerbook while in transit through Singapore and was suprised to find none available in early November, I was told the current models where about 2-4 weeks away, which means there should be something available now. I feel someone is having a lend of you, or just wants you to wait till they have stock to sell it to you.
Check out the Singapore online Apple Store, or the Apple Store in the Funan Mall, in Singapore. Either way some truth mite be coming your way
As for a new model soon, you have a better chance at LOTTO.
Hope you get what you want.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

DesignByJack  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 03:20 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for all the reply. I got my PowerBook G4 550 with CD-RW at Funan AppleCentre at S$4276.

Azerty
Dec 16, 2001, 06:14 AM

For all those that said no revision to the Ti. take a look this checkout This French online retailer. They are already listing the Ti with combo DVD/CD-RW drives.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 06:21 AM

I still doubt it.

Azerty
Dec 16, 2001, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I still doubt it. </STRONG>
Yeah. And I doubt that The Steve will announce anything new at MWSF!!!!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 06:45 AM

They might announce a DVD-ROM/CD-RW feature on the Ti in January. I'm sure no one has it right now, though. Your source, France's MacWarehouse, is probably mistaken. I'm sure MacWarehouse doesn't have any in stock. I am betting that Apple will announce a DVD-ROM/CD-RW option/feature on the Ti at Macworld, but one cannot be sure. Matsushita hasn't said anything about it yet. Then again, Apple usually tells their hardware vendors to keep quiet.

I'm going to the keynote address. We'll see, we'll see...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2001, 06:53 AM

The PowerBook used to be an iMac-to-go (Pismo vs. Kihei), and I think they are going to reestablish this connection sharing a similar combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive with the brand-new iMac being announced in January.

Forum Links
Forum Rules