Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disappearing mouse in Classic

Disappearing mouse in Classic
Ham Sandwich
Apr 27, 2001, 06:58 AM

One thing that is stopping me from using X full time is the mouse pointer will sometimes disappear while in Classic. I am running 10.0.1 and I though that this was addressed in the last update? I seem to be able to get it back sometimes if I open up a Cocoa app, namely OmniWeb, but it doesn't always work. Anyway, major pain!

Does anyone have this same behavior and/or know another workaround? It has made me switch back to 9.1 full-time until this gets straightened around!

-s'fit
G4 450 DP/512MB RAM

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2001, 07:12 AM

Could I ask for a little more info? I can't say I'll be able to help, but I would like to know when this happens.

Is it reproduce-able?

Does it happen in the same app, or seemingly random ones?

Does it happen EVERY time?

Can you still click things, but the cursor is missing?

Can you use the keyboard?

I can't say the same thing has happened, but a few rare occurrences where the mouse AND keyboard stop responding and I am forced to restart. Oh, the computer is going just fine, but I lost control of the controls! This has happened while I was in a Classic game, but it has also happened in OmniWeb too. Like I said, It's been very rare for me.

I don't use Classic all that much. I have a few Classic apps that may get used once a day, but other than that OS X does everything I need.

------------------

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2001, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Could I ask for a little more info? I can't say I'll be able to help, but I would like to know when this happens.

Is it reproduce-able?

Does it happen in the same app, or seemingly random ones?

Does it happen EVERY time?

Can you still click things, but the cursor is missing?

Can you use the keyboard?

I have seen this a lot, as well. It seems to happen to me all the time when I use photoshop, but I have seen it in Word & Excel. But it could happen in any app.

What happens is the pointer disappears, but you can click on things. What I have found is that if you blindly move the mouse to an "osx" portion of the screen (all the way down, for example) and click, the pointer will come back when clicked on an OSX portion of the screen. But it will usually (not always) disappear again as soon as you click within the classic app.

You can type and stuff within classic, so I try to get as much as I can done, always trying to remember where I last had the mouse (so I can click back in the OSX area to find it again).

But I have no more understanding than that. BTW, PMG4 2x500, 1GB, running OSX/Classic on one 27GB HFS+ partitioned drive, if any of this helps.

---gralem

Ham Sandwich
Apr 27, 2001, 12:57 PM

gralem -

Exactly the same problem! Though, I don't run any Office apps, I can attest to the problem when running any combo of the three: Photoshop 6.01, Dreamweaver 4.01 or Fireworks 4 (the only Classic Apps I've tried using through Classic).

It is a seemingly random thing - could be fine for an hour and then go goofy or after 5 minutes it'll happen - doesn't seem to matter. I haven't tried to click anything with the invisible mouse pointer so don't know. And yes, when you pop down to the dock, the pointer does come back but disappears when going back into the Classic app. Only actually bringing a Cocoa (or Carbon, haven't tried) app up and over the Classic environment and then minimizing the Cocoa app seems to ever work to bring the pointer back, unreliably though.

Wonder if it's a DP thing?

-s'fit

Calli46
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2001, 05:00 PM

Same problem here with Word. A solution for me is to go to the dock and click after the end of the dock. Its quite easy as my dock has the hidden/show property. You could as well click in the dock but then you would start one of its application.

Works for me, every time...

Hopes that's help.

------------------

X0X0X from Calli (555-1212)
X0X0X from Calli
--------------------------------
1800 DP/1024MB/180GB

gooz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2001, 11:17 PM

I'm a DP user and my cursor disappears all the time running browsers and other classic apps in OSX. The best solution I found was to leave dock magnification on so that as I swung the cursor to that area the dock icons would swell and I could then click the cursor back to visiblity at the end of the dock.
Among the other DP glitches with OSX this has caused me to abandon it entirely and run with OS 9 until apple fixes this messed up OS. I feel like I bought a date with a beautiful babe but I have to leave her at home because she's so darn schizoid she drives me crazy every time I try and take her out.
"It may seem impossible to imagine that a technologically advanced civilization could choose, in essence, to destroy itself, but that is what we are now in the process of doing."

Forum Links
Forum Rules