Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > update on Amazon deal on iBook

update on Amazon deal on iBook
Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 11:25 AM

first of all...thanks for the heads up on the amazon promotion. it happens to be exactly what i want.

the 12.1" combo drive iBook is $1449 ($50 off)....PLUS you get a $100 amazon gift certificate (will use for my future iPod order)...PLUS you get a free airport card ($100)....PLUS free shipping...and of course no tax. i just saved $350 vs. picking it up at the Apple Store!

this offer is good till 8/25...perfect...since Jaguar is supposed to ship on Aug 24th. i'll put my amazon order in on the 25th..and hopefully given the turnaround time, i will get Jaguar pre-installed. worst case, $20 upgrade coupons come with 10.1 machines now.

as for memory, i checked online for a 256 meg chip (any suggestions?, most say for the 600mghz iBook...the same?) and should be able to get that for $100 or less....saving another $50!!!

$400 total: did someone say free iPod?

also...some of you expressed doubt that the deal would last...any opinions. i assume it's good through 8/25.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 12:09 PM

You should be able to get a 256 mb chip for ~$50 or less - check OWC or TransIntl for their prices.

heh...only reason for going thru apple, if you can get an edu discount, is for custom HD upgrades if you are leery of opening up the iBook - the only major additional charge other than that, as far as I can tell, is ~$80 for tax, which Apple charges. Shipping is only $15 for some reason. But Amazon is having some mad rebates. They are paying you to buy some of their cellphones, it looks like.
( Last edited by tycheung; Aug 16, 2002 at 12:27 PM. )

switched
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 01:46 PM

...and don't forget that there is also Apple's promo for $99 back on the Epson 820, which is $95 at Amazon. Another $5 back + a printer.

I just ordered this package this week - it was just too good to pass up. These days you can order 256MB for about $50 shipped, or 512MB for $125. In the end, you end up paying around $1450 ($100 gift cert + $100 printer rebate) for a fully decked out 12" (save for 20GB HD) + printer. You can't get the 12" alone for that price anywhere, even with an educational discount.

Be careful about waiting until the last day of the promo though. When I first came across the deal Amazon wasn't showing the iBook in stock, and wouldn't let you add it to your cart - I thought I had missed out on the deal. It keeps going in and out of availablity. Word has it that currently shipping Macs are including Jaguar in the box (I'll find out next week), and even if they don't it's only $20 for the upgrade disk. You're saving so much money on this package that really it isn't a big hit.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 03:04 PM

just ordered it!

thanks guys...i didn't want to risk it...you're right: too good a deal to wait.

btw, there is a glitch on the free airport card promo code. so just call up the 888# on the computer page and they will do it for you correctly.

i picked the free shipping...the iBook says 1-2 days and the airport card 1-2 weeks. i'm actually hoping they hold back the iBook to maximize the chances of Jaquar. (technically, the free shipping option will group the items, but the guy on the phone said they don't always...i guess each item, being over $49 does qualify on its own.)

could you pls. post the links for the memory...(or does that violate this forum's protocol...i'm new, so i don't know).

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 05:40 PM

I don't see what the harm is:

OWC: eshop.macsales.com
Transintl: www.transintl.com

I heard crucial.com was pretty good too, but more expensive.

switched
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 05:57 PM

Here's where I ordered memory from yesterday:

http://www.18004memory.com/category....9&subcatid=902

256MB: MLG1364U/256/NIB
512MB: MLG1364U/512/NIB

I've ordered from them before, and they were very speedy. I opted for 512MB - OS X seems to be pretty memory hungry. A nice thing is that it is PC133 memory - you might be able to use it in the next model of iBook if they upgrade the memory bus to 133 MHz.

BTW, if you click on std mail for shipping, they'll offer you $2 off of 2nd day FedEX shipping - I'd recommend that option.

oharag
Aug 16, 2002, 06:01 PM

I also just purchased the Ibook 700 (12" screen) through Amazon. It states 1 to 2 days on my shipping receipt, but when I log onto "My Account" and look at recently placed orders it states the iBook will ship September 4th!!!!!!!!!! That's a little too long for me. I want it in two days! Anyone lese getting this conflicting info from Amazon?

oharag
Aug 16, 2002, 06:05 PM

here's the info from Amazon:

Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: listed below each item
* 1 of: Apple Computer M7600LL/D Airport Card
Delivery estimate: September 2 - September 13
* 1 of: Epson 820S Photo Inkjet Printer (Silver)
Delivery estimate: August 26 - August 30
* 1 of: Apple iBook Notebook (700-MHz PowerPC G3, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive)
Delivery estimate: September 2 - September 13
* 1 of: D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 22 Mbps Broadband Router
Delivery estimate: August 26 - August 30

Dope!!!!!!!! What's the story here. I chose free shipping, and I realize that they try to wait untill all items can shipp at once to minize costs.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 12:55 AM

mine was shipped already!!

this is weird. my iBook shipped via UPS the same day i ordered (friday the 17th); and i did choose free shipping.

the airport card says to expect delivery aug 27th - sept 2nd.

guess i better order my 512 memory chip fast!

Sosa
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 04:50 AM

I ordered my iBook from Amazon late July and also had log expected shipping dates. However my wireless card and iBook both arrived much earlier than Amazon predicted. Only the printer arrived on the very last day. So it seems their expected delivery dates are worst case estimates.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

oharag
Aug 18, 2002, 12:04 PM

I believe it's my bad. The Amazon Rep did mention to call my credit card company up front to tell them that there was going to be a large purchase on my credit card. I didn't believe that it would cause much fuss. Well guess what? My credit card company put a hold on the purchase. I had to okay the purchase. The problem with Amazon is that when I went back to retry the credit card it kept telling me I had to enter a new card. So I entered a new card, which probably will not go through again!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know the phone number to Amazon?? I tried to find it on there web site to no avail. I realize that they want all correspondence go through emails in order to reduce support costs, but there are times that a human voice is so much more comforting and expedient! I HATE THIS ABOUT ONLINE VENDORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

oharag
Aug 18, 2002, 12:44 PM

Sosa, did your iBook ship with MacOS 10.2 installed? I hope it is installed.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2002, 05:53 PM

umm how do you add the free airport card?

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 09:53 PM

simple....the keyboard comes off....they showed me in the Apple Store. plus it's on the Apple website: both a written manual and a video clip.

memory chip goes in similar fashion.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 12:44 AM

hey what do you guys think is better. ibook 600 with maxed ram. or ibook 700 with problay a 256 upgrade. I"m having a prob of deciding whether to get a 600 or 700 because of money probs.

Myriad
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2002, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by dvd:
hey what do you guys think is better. ibook 600 with maxed ram. or ibook 700 with problay a 256 upgrade. I"m having a prob of deciding whether to get a 600 or 700 because of money probs.
Definitely the 700Mhz. Having 384 megs of RAM is still fairly respectable, and you will always be able to save up for more RAM, but there is no way to speed up a 600Mhz model.
Have you seen me?

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 11:23 AM

for those seeking memory chips:

i just ordered the 512 chip from OWC....it was $137 shipped. there were a few sites with slightly cheaper prices (by $20), but i felt more comfortable with the OWC guys, as far as ensuring compatibility, return policy, forum comments, etc.

i checked out www.ramseeker.com
a specialized shopping bot for RAM.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 11:35 AM

oops....sorry DVD. now i realize you may have been addressing the free airport card promo on amazon.

there is a code that you apply in the checkout process; however that wasn't working when i ordered, so i called the customer service # for the computer ordering line.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2002, 03:56 PM

One important note about getting RAM for an iBook:

* Make sure you have a Philips #0 head screwdriver in your house, otherwise you can't get to the iBook's memory. Those really really little screws underneath the keyboard on the big metal plate are the ones you have you unscrew to change your RAM, and no other screwdriver I had in the house would work. I had to go out and buy a #0, which is pretty annoying when you've waited patiently for your new RAM toy to come in

I believe The Chip Merchant (thechipmerchant.com) has a kit with the memory and a screwdriver together... I bought mine from OWC (macsales.com) , though, and have had no troubles with it. Bought a couple sticks of RAM from them with no problems.

-
Also, installing the RAM into the iBook is somewhat tricky in and of itself. You really have to push at a weird angle to get it in, but just keep trying, you'll get it in eventually!

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Robster1958:

oops....sorry DVD. now i realize you may have been addressing the free airport card promo on amazon.

there is a code that you apply in the checkout process; however that wasn't working when i ordered, so i called the customer service # for the computer ordering line.
so you ordered yours through phone right? How about the free printer? the epson 820 i think, they ran out of the orignal 820 but had the S version, do you think it will work with the apple rebate? Thanks.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 08:27 PM

i actually ordered online...but when promo code came back as error, i called that number on the computer page...says "for live help on picking a laptop"....or something like that.

the guy on the phone said to proceed, and then he corrected it instantly.

as for the printer, i skipped it. i have 2 other inkjets in the house and don't really need it. yes i could sell it, but i also seem to have bad luck with rebates actually coming as advertised.

last update: email today from amazon....airport card shipped!

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2002, 09:22 PM

Apple's rebates seem to be good, I sent in a rebate for the iPod $100 off promo a month or so back.. it came within 3 weeks, fastest turnaround time I've seen on a rebate ever.

oharag
Aug 20, 2002, 02:46 PM

It looks like my stuff from Amazon shipped Monday and Tuesday (iBook 700, airport card, d-link wireless router, and Epson 820 printer). The only think that held me up was my credit card company. Once that was resolved everything started to hummmmmmmm. Chose the Super Saver shipping so we'll see how long it takes to actually get to my porch.

Has anyone noticed that Amazon does charge you shipping even though you selected "Super Saving Shipping" plus "group items to ship". Even though there's a reduction in shipping in each group (I had three groups go out separately) there is a residual $10 attached to the total for shipping. Still not bad, but NOT FREE!

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 03:35 PM

funny you mention that...i chose the free shipping too.

iBook went UPS...$1444 total. it's now in my house...can't wait to get home from work! first i'll dive in to see if Jaguar is there.

the free Airport card was shipped yesterday via USPS...$0.59 total. can't figure that out, but it's obviously not worth the time to straighten it out.

my 512 MB memory chip (from OWC, $137 shipped), is due tomorrow. i have my jewelers screwdriver set ready!

$1481 (after my $100 Amazon rebate) for a combo drive iBook w/ max memory and airport card...excellent deal. could prob. sell it on eBay for more! price at the Apple Store was $2138, incl. tax. savings = $667.

oharag
Aug 20, 2002, 03:47 PM

Robster1958, any reason why you didn't go with the Epson 820 printer (free after rebate), and the D-Link 614+ wireless router for $51 (after $70 rebate)? The router is much cheaper than an Airport Base Station from Apple.

Are you going to upgrade your internal iBook HD? I bought the 700 MHz 12" screen model with 20 Gig HD. There are some kick butt HD's from IBM and Toshiba that fit inside the iBook and are currenlty at 40 Gig. I believe Toshiba has also just recently announced a 60 gig. I may try using the iBook to run Virtual PC (I know it probably will be dog slow, but it's at least better than my iMac 350 MHz).

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 09:55 PM

from my previous post:

as for the printer, i skipped it. i have 2 other inkjets in the house and don't really need it. yes i could sell it, but i also seem to have bad luck with rebates actually coming as advertised.

as for the d-link, i already am set up at home with a Linksys wireless LAN.

as of now, no HD upgrade plan. i am getting a 10 gig iPod (when my $100 gift cert. from amazon comes), so depending on space contraints, i could keep some mp3's on iPod only and off the iBook.

i'm hoping the "measley" 20 gigs will hold me until the next major iBook upgrade...or PowerBook with 12" screen (my hope!!). figuring what we paid for our puppies, i am comfortable pulling out a big chuck when/if it comes time to sell on eBay.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 05:09 AM

man i really want this ibook hehe too bad the deal wont last another 3 weeks. i must wait for my financial aid. AHhh i can't ask my mom =[

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Robster1958:
i actually ordered online...but when promo code came back as error, i called that number on the computer page...says "for live help on picking a laptop"....or something like that.

the guy on the phone said to proceed, and then he corrected it instantly.

last update: email today from amazon....airport card shipped!
I had the same problem with the promo code for the free Airport card. I called customer service and the rep had me place the order anyway and then she immediately changed the price of the Airport card to $0. Now I'm just waiting for everything to ship!

OAW

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2002, 08:01 PM

Same here, couldn't pass on that deal.
Now we just need to get the Jaguar upgrade.
Thanks for the heads up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules