Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Questions about Airport:

Questions about Airport:
oharag
Aug 20, 2002, 03:04 PM

- I've heard that there's a difference in Airport Base Stations (ie. Rev 1.0 versus Rev 1.1 versus Rev 2.0). What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that certain updates from Apple that take advantage of Rev 2.0 are not compatible to Rev 1.1 base stations? I realize that Rev. 2.0 base stations have better security encryption and two Ethernet ports. Is there any reason not to buy the Rev. 1.1 base station at a discounted rate to gain Airport functionality?

- Is there a significant difference in Airport cards? Meaning are there different versions of the Airport card that are incompatible with the different base stations? Or buying one Airport Card gives you compatibility with all updates? I've seen some airport cards on the cheap ($49), and was just wandering if they are obsolete.

- What do you guys (gals) think will be happening with the supposed updates coming from Apple with improved Airport (IEEE 802.11g) functionality? Does this mean new airport cards and base stations? Or would it be a firmware upgrade?

- Does anyone know what's entailed with installing an airport card inside a G3 iMac (350 MHz)? I remember mention awhile back that a bracket had to be also purchased to mount an airport card inside the iMac. When I opened my iMac I saw a connector to attach the card, but have no clue other than that fact.

Thanks for your input.

ilukas
Aug 20, 2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by oharag:
- Is there a significant difference in Airport cards? Meaning are there different versions of the Airport card that are incompatible with the different base stations? Or buying one Airport Card gives you compatibility with all updates? I've seen some airport cards on the cheap ($49), and was just wandering if they are obsolete.

- What do you guys (gals) think will be happening with the supposed updates coming from Apple with improved Airport (IEEE 802.11g) functionality? Does this mean new airport cards and base stations? Or would it be a firmware upgrade?
no difference in airport cards.

the new (snow) base station probably is compatible w/ 802.11g updates to come. otherwise they'll release airport 3.

graphite probably won't support 802.11g and it seems to have a cooling problem that ultimately melts a couple of components.

you can also look for a third party wireless router, which is usually as cheap as ABS 1.0/1.1
Can I have that cookie?

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 06:57 PM

- I've heard that there's a difference in Airport Base Stations (ie. Rev 1.0 versus Rev 1.1 versus Rev 2.0). What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that certain updates from Apple that take advantage of Rev 2.0 are not compatible to Rev 1.1 base stations? I realize that Rev. 2.0 base stations have better security encryption and two Ethernet ports. Is there any reason not to buy the Rev. 1.1 base station at a discounted rate to gain Airport functionality?
Rev 2.0 have 1 more antenna inside the basestation, thus better transmit signal.
Recently, there was a firmware update for the new Airport basestation only, probably pertaining to extra security measures.
Otherwise, like you said, encryption...which if you don't care for, and uses an iBook, I guess it's alrite to get the older one...but if you use a TiBook, I've heard the new basestation makes a lot of difference...

All the ones you buy that's called an "airport" card are the same part from Apple...or should be at least...I wouldn't be surprised if the older one were Silver as opposed to gold, since the Original Basestation uses the Silver card, thus no need for Gold Lucent card on the receiver...not sure on this though...

802.11g is not "improved airport." It is a new protocal developed by Cisco that is backward compatible with the Lucent technology otherwise known as 802.11b. As such, you cannot do a "firmware upgrade" on the 802.11b parts to make it g. the difference between g and b is that g supports 54(55?)MB/sec as opposed to 11 allowed by the current ones Apple uses...I recently read somewhere some company managed to get 22MB out of 802.11b, but I doubt we'll see that on an apple part...

- Does anyone know what's entailed with installing an airport card inside a G3 iMac (350 MHz)? I remember mention awhile back that a bracket had to be also purchased to mount an airport card inside the iMac. When I opened my iMac I saw a connector to attach the card, but have no clue other than that fact.
Airport cards should all come with an adapter for iMac installations...I had to put 1 in the iMac 500-Sage, and it was pretty easy. goodluck with it.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

ilukas
Aug 21, 2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Evangellydonut:

802.11g is not "improved airport." It is a new protocal developed by Cisco that is backward compatible with the Lucent technology otherwise known as 802.11b. As such, you cannot do a "firmware upgrade" on the 802.11b parts to make it g. the difference between g and b is that g supports 54(55?)MB/sec as opposed to 11 allowed by the current ones Apple uses...I recently read somewhere some company managed to get 22MB out of 802.11b, but I doubt we'll see that on an apple part...
actually, the ABS 2 might have hardware in it that is 802.11g-capable, but isn't running 802.11g yet because the standard was just approved a couple of months ago.

in such case where the hardware is already compatible, all it takes is a firmware upgrade to make the transition from 802.11b to 802.11g:

http://www.80211-planet.com/tutorial...009431,00.html
Can I have that cookie?

[email protected]
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 11:04 PM

the difference between g and b is that g supports 54(55?)MB/sec as opposed to 11 allowed by the current ones Apple uses...I recently read somewhere some company managed to get 22MB out of 802.11b, but I doubt we'll see that on an apple part...
i wish it were true, but the airport probably only gets 11 Mb/sec...(10bT speed, not 100bT)...i will get my base station tomorrow, then i'll know for sure, but i read somewhere that 802.11b gets 11 megabits per second, not 11 megabytes.

oharag  (op)
Aug 22, 2002, 03:22 PM

If there are no differences between airport cards (only airport base stations) then why does Apple have three different part numbers listed under their airport manual section on their web site?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50053

The part numbers are 034-0892, 034-2009 and 034-1043.

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by oharag:
If there are no differences between airport cards (only airport base stations) then why does Apple have three different part numbers listed under their airport manual section on their web site?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50053

The part numbers are 034-0892, 034-2009 and 034-1043.
Component changes would be one reason, second would be default firmware on the card... other than that, no idea.

Ben.

oharag  (op)
Aug 27, 2002, 09:16 PM

My Airport Card from Amazon apparently does not come with the iMac adpator. I've found a web site that sells the adaptors for $18. Is there a way to take the base airport card and lay it inside the iMac?

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:

i wish it were true, but the airport probably only gets 11 Mb/sec...(10bT speed, not 100bT)...i will get my base station tomorrow, then i'll know for sure, but i read somewhere that 802.11b gets 11 megabits per second, not 11 megabytes.
you are right, it's Mb, not MB...my bad...
One thing I don't like 'bout OS X is when speed is reaching close to thoretical max, say in a LAN transfer, all other activities of the computer gets slowed down significantly

As for the 22Mb trick, I guess it's just another Half-Duplex vs. Full-Duplex trick...not sure...

My Airport Card from Amazon apparently does not come with the iMac adpator. I've found a web site that sells the adaptors for $18. Is there a way to take the base airport card and lay it inside the iMac?
what do you mean by that? making your own adapter is not worth the trouble if that's what you are asking...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules