Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the coolpad and the ibook

the coolpad and the ibook
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 12:20 AM

So I am kind of skeptical about the coolpad and wondering if it is worth the 30 bucks..

http://www.roadtools.com

I tried mimicking the position with just boxes and stuff and I watched the temperature monitor program on my ibook and it doesn't matter. What I did like about it though is the positiion it puts my ibook in when I have to type at the desk for a long time. Reports and stuff.

What I really want to buy it for is that it claims to help keep the laptop much cooler. Does anyone actually have this and does it actually work? thanks, and even if you don't have it do you think it is believable?

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 02:38 AM

I use the podium pad with my powerbook and for me it's perfect. It does keep the laptop cooler, thus the fan comes on less often. However, the best benefit is the incline for typing. However, I also have an ibook G4 and haven't really noticed the fan come on, so I don't think you'd need it for cooling. But if you type a lot, it might be worth it.

ed phelan
Apr 17, 2004, 08:13 AM

I began using cool pad with my wallstreet pb several years ago and with my iBook since 2002 and recommend it highly.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 09:01 AM

I've just recently ordered the Griffin iCurve and a Apple keyboard. The Coolpad sounds like a good idea, but you might consider the iCurve as an option as well, if you are going to use external keyboard that is.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 01:55 PM

Well the icurve to me seems like the defeat of the purpose of a laptop plus you pay extra money for that (icurve, keyboard, mouse)

I think i'll try the podium coolpad, 30 day MBG

bgordon
Apr 18, 2004, 10:17 AM

My Coolpad has saved my life - er, my lap. Since my Al-15 Powerbook's bottom heats up to a temperature close to what you'd find on the surface of the sun, this thing really comes in handy. Plus, it's pretty portable and swivels in position -- nice, when you want to show someone something on the computer. I highly recommend it.

- bgordon

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2004, 10:38 AM

I love the Coolpad. As has been said, it has an adjustable incline, which is very nice. In fact, sometimes I sit on the floor with my Powerbook and I turn the Coolpad around so the Powerbook is inclined backwards. This makes typing a lot easier when the Powerbook is below me. Plus it swivels. And it keeps the machine and your lap a lot cooler. Finally, it keeps the bottom of your computer scratch-free, which improves its appearance and resale value.

All told, it's a good $30 investment. The iCurve seems way overpriced to me.

Chris

xanderwilson
Apr 18, 2004, 12:10 PM

I can't stand the noise when the fan kicks in on my PowerBook or iBook. Bought the Powerpad and found that it kicks in less often. So it works for me.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 10:39 AM

I've been using a coolpad with my iBook G4. I have noticed that the temperature will still increase, but the coolpad allows more air to flow underneath. It is also designed to protect your desktop or tabletop from any heat damage. I also like that it can swivel. I got my travelers coolpad from Staples for $20. Definitely worth it. Just my two cents.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Chito
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 10:56 AM

Comp USA has the podium cool pad for $19.99 after two mail in rebates. I have one for my iBook and I love it.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules