Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2G iPod disassembly?

2G iPod disassembly?
bgordon
Oct 8, 2004, 03:47 PM

Hi, all.

Has anyone disassembled their 2G iPod to replace the battery? If so, are you supposed to unclip the sides and the bottom of the iPod case, then slide it up and off the top?

The reason I ask is this: I just replaced my 1G iPod's battery using the extended-life NewerTech battery from OWC. It went great - I just followed the easy-to-understand visual in the accompanying PDF of a *1G iPod* being disassembled. (Even though the PDF says 1G and 2G, it only shows the 1G model.)

It was so easy, I volunteered to do the same for a friend's 2G iPod. But as I started the procedure, I noticed the top/jack area of the 1G and 2G iPods differ - the 1G's jack outlet, firewire connector and hold switch are encased in white plastic that's directly attached to the iPod's white face cover - the silver back cover sort of skirts the whole top assembly, and is easily removed.

On the 2G iPod, on the other hand, the jack outlet, firewire connector and hold switch are "surrounded" on all 4 sides, if you will, by the silver backing - they aren't hard-mounted to the front like the 1G is. And when I unclipped the 2G iPod's sides from the top and started pulling the whole thing apart, the top cover area didn't look like it COULD pull away freely - I thought I saw the firewire port being pried loose from its mountings - so I stopped.

I hope this makes sense. And I've scoured the 'net for photos of a 2G iPod disassembly, but can find none.

Anyone?

- bgordon

tmbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 06:09 PM

I'm sure you looked everywhere, but I found this site. Seems to be a good resource.

http://ipodbatteryfaq.com/

If that doesn't work, then you might try the apple discussion forums. They are Apple moderated I think.

Good Luck!

http://www.freestuffnetwork.biz

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2004, 06:44 PM

I'm assuming that you've already bought the battery, but in case you haven't, Newer Technology has a 2100mAh battery for the 2G iPod.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=NWTIPOD210012

bgordon  (op)
Oct 9, 2004, 11:43 AM

Thanks guys....but it all still looks like 1G models being disassembled.

I may just tell my friend to send his in....I'd do it if it was mine, but I don't want to risk it!

- bgordon

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 03:48 AM

1G and 2G ipods are very similar, except for the top plate, which would explain why so many people are referring you to those articles.

Essentially, what you want to do is find a side where the ipod has a little give on the backplate -- just enough to make a gap wide enough to stick a credit card in, which you would of course, pop a credit card in, slide it around the side of the ipod, and hopefully pop the clips holding it in -- NOT BREAKING THEM OF COURSE!

Then you'd carefully pry it apart. It takes a little work but not much, just be careful at the top and bottom
Aloha

Saltire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 02:23 PM

I disassembled my 2G a couple of days ago just to see if it was possible before getting a now battery, and it came off fine.
It just requires a little caution when slipping it off the firewire port and headphone jack. Slip the bottom of the case off as far as you can and it should then lift over the ports fairly easily. It is defiantly possible - just a bit more tricky!

bgordon  (op)
Oct 10, 2004, 06:13 PM

Excellent - I may try it yet again.

Thanks for all your responses! Much appreciated.

- bgordon

Forum Links
Forum Rules