Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 MDD Owners: How to cool and quiet your system down for $10

G4 MDD Owners: How to cool and quiet your system down for $10
Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2005, 11:58 AM

My computer is too hot and too loud. I've spent the last 2 years debating the purchase of a $300 Verax kit, putting intake or blow holes into the chassis of the computer, or buying a new power supply altogether. The problem is that I don't have a ton of extra cash and I don't want to void my Applecare warranty. After keeping a constant eye out for solutions, I've finally found out how to make the computer silent AND drop the temps from 140ºF to 100ºF.

First, get Apple's CHUD 3.5.2 and then enable NAP mode in System Preferences. This drops the temperature by letting the processors rest when not in use.

More info here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/....html#storytop

Second, to quiet the computer you need a $5-$10 120mm fan; preferably with a 4pin molex power source attached to it (Pictured here), cardboard, and the willingness to go into your computer's power supply to unplug the two fans.

The information of the procedure is located here.

To supplement his page:

NOTE: WORKING WITH POWER SUPPLIES IS DANGEROUS. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR HANDS, I DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING THEM NEXT TO CHARGED BATTERIES AND COMPONENTS. That said, the only work you'll be doing is opening the door and plucking two cables which are located on the edge of the power supply with a pair of pliers.

-When you go into the power supply, you can very easily disconnect the fans. You just need a pair of pliers to pop both fans' 2 PIN power cables from their inputs.

-I would inform you that you can use any 4-pin molex power source in your computer (if you have an extra hard-drive or optical drive power cable not used inside your computer, you can plug the fan right into it). This is the only reason I advocate this approach. If you have used up all of the power outputs, you might try splitting one of the Molex cables' signals with a Molex Y splitter OR you could try plugging the fan into one of the newly vacated power supply power sources. To plug it into the power supply's fan power sources, however, you will need a 2 PIN fan (the third pin controls fan speed on computers that allow it). The power supplies fans are both 2 PIN.

-I spray-painted the interlal part of the air scoop black for aesthetic purposes. It is the part that you can see when you look into the computer.

With this information and about 40 minutes of time, you can have a new computer. Best of luck!

-Chris

OreoCookie
Jul 13, 2005, 12:36 PM

Maybe you should invest a bit more in your fan, improves reliability and noise problems.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

1800-whatever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 03:51 AM

tnx for posting all this info Azzqunther

lenox
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 09:57 AM

When I upgraded to tiger, 'nap' mode was greyed out in my hardware control panel. Maybe I need to upgrade my CHUD.

However, back in the day, when I tried enabling 'nap' mode, my fans actually got a bit higher in pitch, so I didn't leave it on. Any clue why that would happen?

Azzgunther  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 10:07 AM

As I understand it, using CHUD 3.5.2 is the best way to ensure that Nap works on any system.

As for the louder and higher pitched fans, is it possible that you are hearing the power supply fans more clearly now that the others have calmed down? They are the reason that I included step 2. They are loud and need to be unplugged or replaced on most MDD systems.

lenox
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 12:20 PM

As for the power supply fan idea, I can't wait to try it. Thanks! Ever since I've upgraded to Tiger, my fans have been spinning up more and more often. Sure, it could also be because it's the middle of summer in Florida, and also that I'm actually straining the CPUs these days...but I think something changed with Tiger anyhow

Azzgunther  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by lenox
As for the power supply fan idea, I can't wait to try it. Thanks! Ever since I've upgraded to Tiger, my fans have been spinning up more and more often. Sure, it could also be because it's the middle of summer in Florida, and also that I'm actually straining the CPUs these days...but I think something changed with Tiger anyhow
I definitely recommend using Temperature Monitor to keep tabs on your CPU and hard drive temps then. From what I understand, if your hard drives spend too much time above their ceiling-temp (something like 130ºF) it can cause premature failure. Something to keep an eye on

Originally Posted by 1800-whatever
tnx for posting all this info Azzqunther
Welcome

bgordon
Jul 20, 2005, 10:21 AM

I've got a G4 MDD Dual 1 Ghz with the Verax silencing kits installed, and after noting recent successes with CHUD 3.5.2 and TIger again, I decided to give it another try (many of you will recall that CHUD and Panther did not play well together, with frequent lockups.)

Here's what I've found so far in nap mode:

1. CPU temps drop dramatically at idle (around 39-40 C, down from 59-61 at normal load.)
2. CPU temps stay in the low 40's C when doing basic stuff like web surfing, word processing, etc.
3. CPU temps goi all the way back up to 59-61 when tasking the processor heavily (i.e., playing World of Warcraft.)

Now, the other issues:
1. I've encountered the sound glitch reported by some users (at xlr8yourmac.com) using CHUD with Tiger. Playing songs on iTunes in nap mode yields a constant scratchy, crackly sound.
2. Chirping: For lack of a better term, I hear a "chirping" noise when the HD is accessed heavily during tasks in nap mode (playing WoW, playing iTunes) that is both audible and bothersome. The chirping noise goes away when I disable nap mode during the same task.

So nap mode alone is not the quick fix I'd hoped for...good in my case for mellow stuff, but still not perfect. I haven't tried the fan idea yet for the PSUs; right now, I've got an 80mm Verax fan stuck to the rear, pulling hot air out of the open PCI slots, which keeps my temps below 59 C (60 C seems to be the magic point where PSU fans rev up and create more noise.) Of course, I can't use any PCI slots, but since there doesn't seem to be a single USB 2.0 PCI card that works well in the MDD's without deep sleep issues (and that's the only card I want to put in), I don't care for now.

As an aside: I have probably spent close to $600 trying to silence this damned computer ever since I got it. What a lemon, in terms of sound...now I'm just waiting for the MacTels to come out next year. Of course, as a "A" model sucker, I'll probably get a whole host of issues with those, too.

piet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 09:33 AM

I got a mdd 1000hrz single cpu (windtunnel) and it is now silend !
cpu temp 40-45c.
fans speed low!
A coolriver water cool set with 3 copper heat blocks (2 used) and 2 lower amps (0.14 amp) psu fans and some DIY .
The water cool set was from Ebay for 50$ and the rest was 25$ her and there.
Now I am looking for someone who can tel me what resistors control the bus speed on the cpu board , it is now running on 133hrz , I got the ones on the motherboard!
I got the information for the DP board but not for the Single board .(very differend)

bgordon
Jul 21, 2005, 10:09 AM

Hi - I'm interested in learning more about the CoolRiver cooling set. I found it online and it looks interesting. Could you take a picture of the inside of your MDD case and post it here, or email it to me at transceiver(at)mac.com? I'm specifically wondering where you have the radiator unit mounted, and how you've attached the CPU cooling block.

piet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

i am new here so how do i put a photo on the side?

bgordon
Jul 21, 2005, 11:24 AM

Hmmm...I'm not sure, to be honest.

Could you email me the picture at:

transceiver(at)mac.com

I would be extremely grateful!

Azzgunther  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bgordon
I've got a G4 MDD Dual 1 Ghz with the Verax silencing kits installed, and after noting recent successes with CHUD 3.5.2 and TIger again, I decided to give it another try (many of you will recall that CHUD and Panther did not play well together, with frequent lockups.)

Here's what I've found so far in nap mode:

1. CPU temps drop dramatically at idle (around 39-40 C, down from 59-61 at normal load.)
2. CPU temps stay in the low 40's C when doing basic stuff like web surfing, word processing, etc.
3. CPU temps goi all the way back up to 59-61 when tasking the processor heavily (i.e., playing World of Warcraft.)

Now, the other issues:
1. I've encountered the sound glitch reported by some users (at xlr8yourmac.com) using CHUD with Tiger. Playing songs on iTunes in nap mode yields a constant scratchy, crackly sound.
2. Chirping: For lack of a better term, I hear a "chirping" noise when the HD is accessed heavily during tasks in nap mode (playing WoW, playing iTunes) that is both audible and bothersome. The chirping noise goes away when I disable nap mode during the same task.

So nap mode alone is not the quick fix I'd hoped for...good in my case for mellow stuff, but still not perfect. I haven't tried the fan idea yet for the PSUs; right now, I've got an 80mm Verax fan stuck to the rear, pulling hot air out of the open PCI slots, which keeps my temps below 59 C (60 C seems to be the magic point where PSU fans rev up and create more noise.) Of course, I can't use any PCI slots, but since there doesn't seem to be a single USB 2.0 PCI card that works well in the MDD's without deep sleep issues (and that's the only card I want to put in), I don't care for now.

As an aside: I have probably spent close to $600 trying to silence this damned computer ever since I got it. What a lemon, in terms of sound...now I'm just waiting for the MacTels to come out next year. Of course, as a "A" model sucker, I'll probably get a whole host of issues with those, too.

I have no chirping or iTunes scratching sounds. It sounds like you may have another issue that is being compounded by using NAP mode. I read about the chirping noise at Macintouch.com and many users attributed the sound in their G5 machines to processor slewing. Sadly, they say Apple has remained silent on the issue so far. In your case though, with a G4 system, perhaps trying another hard drive as a boot drive would solve the noise. The stress of assigning and accessing virtual memory on the drive may be making the noise. Good luck!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 02:10 PM

Do not create duplicate threads in multiple forums.

Please refer all further discussion for this thread to its duplicate in the Mac Mod section.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules