Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to tell a file to be opened by a specific app?

How to tell a file to be opened by a specific app?
leffo
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 12:21 AM

Rather lenghty subject-line, but how is this done in OS9 (9.2.1) really? I've never used OS9 extensively (just OSX) and can't figure this one out. When I installed BBEdit Lite my rtf-files got associated with BBEdit and I can for the love of god make them open with Microsoft Word. Sure, I can open them if I choose to open them from within Word, but I want Word to open them just by clicking them in the Finder. You get the idea. In OSX you can do a Command-I and change the application with which you want the file to be opened, but how is this done in OS9? Help me out here folks!

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by leffo:
Rather lenghty subject-line, but how is this done in OS9 (9.2.1) really? I've never used OS9 extensively (just OSX) and can't figure this one out. When I installed BBEdit Lite my rtf-files got associated with BBEdit and I can for the love of god make them open with Microsoft Word. Sure, I can open them if I choose to open them from within Word, but I want Word to open them just by clicking them in the Finder. You get the idea. In OSX you can do a Command-I and change the application with which you want the file to be opened, but how is this done in OS9? Help me out here folks!
I think you can do it with the File Exchange panel (Apple Menu -> Control Panel). I don't have my laptop with me here at work so I can't say I know 100%. Then associate the files to the application you want to open it with.

Cipher13
Aug 20, 2003, 07:19 AM

That should work.

The hard way is to alter the creator meta code. If you wanna know how to do this, lemme know... I'm not gonna type it all out if there's no point.

leffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2003, 02:12 PM

Thanks guys! I'll try that out.

leffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 07:57 AM

Guys, it doesn't seem to work. That, or I'm doing something wrong. Even if I associate the rtf-extenstion with Word within File Exchange, it's still associated (and opened) with BBEDit. If I completely remove the rtf-association in File Exchange it doesn't seem to affect anything. You sure that's where I should be poking around?
( Last edited by leffo; Aug 23, 2003 at 08:07 AM. )

leffo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2003, 08:06 AM

Somehow I got things to work. Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules